Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:58 PM

233 posts, read 824,772 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in what the men who have read this think about this and what kind of response you get from women when you use this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,920,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenOlenska View Post
I'm interested in what the men who have read this think about this and what kind of response you get from women when you use this.
I'm tired... dont' make me google it. What kind of a sick game is that?

Old 07-18-2008, 10:16 PM

11,365 posts, read 24,322,312 times
I looked it up. It's on wikipedia. Yet again another dishonest approach to getting laid.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:30 PM

Man, that's some pricey tutoring! It's probably worth it, though...

Frequently Asked Questions FAQ*-*The Mystery Method (http://www.themysterymethod.com/faq - broken link)

Old 07-18-2008, 10:39 PM

I've come across similar crap before, but I can't even begin to imagine it working on anybody... Any male affirmation?

'Negs'

Media attention directed towards the Mystery Method often mentions the concept of 'negs' as an example of what the method teaches. The oft-quoted example is the comment:

"Nice nails, are they real? No? Oh, well they're nice anyway."
Negs are intended to be false disqualifiers and are intended to lower the target's comparative value to the seducer. Specifically, they are not insults; instead, they resemble the comments of a person who does not view the target as being sexually interesting.

In his television interview with The View, Neil Strauss explains that some men will demonstrate lack of interest by passively ignoring a woman; but since she does not notice him, she will not know that he is not interested. Therefore the purpose of the neg is to actively demonstrate lack of interest by disqualifying one's self as a suitor ("It's too bad I'm gay or you'd be so my type"), or by falsely disqualifying the target ("You are too much of a nice girl for me").

According to the method, a proper neg never makes the target feel insulted or degraded, but rather questions whether the man approaching her has fallen under her spell. Women of particular beauty often tend to assume males approaching them are interested in them solely as a result of their looks, and negs attempt to neutralize that assumption by demonstrating that the man is not (yet) interested in her, despite her beauty. A successful neg may cause the target to feel self-conscious and attempt to regain control of the situation by qualifying herself.

Another often overlooked aspect of negs is the fact that they can be nonverbal. A neg may consist of a roll off (using disinterested or distracted body language), wandering off, initiating conversation with a new third party, checking one's cell phone, or looking around the room as if looking for someone better to talk to.

Disqualification theory

Disqualification Theory is an expansion of the neg. It is a social tactic based on the idea that what a woman can't have, she wants more. It is a large part of indirect game as it can disarm a woman by keeping her from thinking that the man is hitting on her. It can correlate to preselection theory as well; if a man is taken, he is like a forbidden fruit to other women.

A disqualifier is the direct application of the disqualification theory. Examples of disqualifiers:

"If I weren't gay, you'd so be mine."
"I've got something to tell you...there's something in your teeth."

Mystery Method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-18-2008, 10:51 PM

I've heard that it works, but I wonder if it only works in certain situations or with certain women.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I've heard that it works, but I wonder if it only works in certain situations or with certain women.
Based on the very little bit I just read, some of the tactics make perfect sense to me, but the above-mentioned are ridiculous... at least to me.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Based on the very little bit I just read, some of the tactics make perfect sense to me, but the above-mentioned are ridiculous... at least to me.
I think it might work on insecure women who want to be the center of attention all the time or perhaps with beautiful women who are so used to being the center of attention that they'd be shocked and a bit intrigued at being ignored.

But this is just a guess, as I am not a 10 nor dreadfully insecure, so I wouldn't know for sure.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I think it might work on insecure women who want to be the center of attention all the time or perhaps with beautiful women who are so used to being the center of attention that they'd be shocked and a bit intrigued at being ignored.

But this is just a guess, as I am not a 10 nor dreadfully insecure, so I wouldn't know for sure.
I think you might wanna read more psychology.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I think you might wanna read more psychology.
Is there a reason for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships