U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:57 PM

42,843 posts, read 55,081,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Not until just recently has the AMA and JAMA begun to recognize Internet addiction as a ligament medical problem.

Live chat is more addictive then some drugs. Let me tell you about my problem with live chat. Im going way way back and do not get involved in it anymore. When I did, I found myself skipping work or doing fun things I loved like fishing or shopping or going to a ball game so I can stay home and chat.
That's very brave of you to share, desertsun! What are you doing here then? Forums are addictive, too. I certainly get addicted. I can only quit them when they start annoying me more than they entertain me and/or when there's too much censorship and limitations sucking the fun out of them. Another reason would be if all interesting to me people leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 01:58 PM

2,297 posts, read 4,067,533 times
No, chat rooms seem seedy,lol....I don't like chatting via a chat room or im. I can't stand to be tied to the computer hanging on every word.
I like this type of forum, where you can read and post and get up and do something and come back and see what's going on without missing a beat!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:27 PM

14,499 posts, read 16,066,034 times
I dont like IM as much, email takes more time, and usually effort- IM to me is a way people use for instant gratification, its fast and cheap. Same with texting.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:28 PM

12,890 posts, read 12,962,314 times
Did the chat room thing for a while, years and years ago - pretty much when I first started on the Net, that was the most common form of interaction. I always enjoyed the no moderation / no filters approach, but even that enjoyment faded after a while when I started to see what the chat rooms were becoming.

Mainly I liked the improv atmosphere - no time to sit back and analyze - most of the time you'd get a gut reaction to a topic.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:34 PM

25,323 posts, read 19,180,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
They just never grew on me at all. Guess I was already too old for this kind of crapola.

MLV, this kind of is a chat room (girl, quit saying self-destructing stuff, pretty puleeze! ), but these are well thought out (at least some) messages discussing certain topics more or less of some substance. Also, there's no time pressure and talking over each other's heads. I've no desire to "meet" strangers and exchange a/s/l...
This is as close to a chat room as I'd ever been in, what is a/s/l???

What is wrong with chat rooms now. Everyone is saying that they aren't the same???

Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM

4,739 posts, read 5,590,777 times
a/s/l is ask for sex logically and luv is laxex undergarments and violence

Old 07-22-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This is as close to a chat room as I'd ever been in, what is a/s/l???
Age, sex, location.

In a chat room, very little quoting is done and it's a very fast-paced environment, so you really have to be present constantly to keep up with the conversation.

Quote:
What is wrong with chat rooms now. Everyone is saying that they aren't the same???
A lot of predators came onto the scene, people began to use the rooms for questionable purposes, and people just seemed to become more rude as time went by.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
a/s/l is ask for sex logically and luv is laxex undergarments and violence
Hey, I KNOW you! You're the guy that...

Oh, never mind. Bygones be bygones and all that...

Old 07-22-2008, 03:42 PM
luv

50 posts, read 114,423 times
This is way off topic, but I cant stand the censorship in some of the forums on CD. Some of the mods can be on such a pathetic power trip. I left another forum because of the amount of censorship, definitely takes the grit and fun out of it.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:57 PM

5,004 posts, read 5,299,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

They're full of bots looking for sex and lots of drunk people playing some really bad old music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships