U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2008, 03:58 PM

12,459 posts, read 9,312,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
Herself!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Her lovely self!
HA!HA! Herself...that's very true. Guys are simple; we don't need much else.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 07:09 PM

8 posts, read 22,474 times
I read the first 2 pages and couldn't keep reading because it all comes down to one thing. Women these days are so much different that if we made a poll right now we would see all types of different answers on what she would like brought to her (or not, in some cases - see what i mean?) by a guy on a first date. Some women love exotic wild life flowers (cause I didn't ever hear of those kinds mentioned beforehand, so I'll group them like that), some will love a rose (or more than one, maybe a dozen, or is that too much???), some will feel akward (but then maybe not appreciated enough), and some wll want something more unique that represents them in way (now imagine having this type and not knowing anything about them, except that she likes you in a way and how much - that is unknown too )
So women are different and that's understandable, but out of those 5 options I just put outhere, you got chance of hitting it one out of five times (And yes I am talking about the ...chances) but there is one thing I think seperates women and that is not what they like but how understandable they are and how they see you, hence how much they like you. If they do, it probably won't matter what type of flower you bought, or weather it was unique, or if its nothing. Me, I go out formal, meaning no gifts, flowers, dressed up good, but don't really like restoraunts either or eating out, I am more for walks or doing something... If first date goes good, second date I usually would end with a rose or a unique gift if I figured out the clue to that beforehand. If not, we go with the classic casual old boring flowers, but hey, they do the job... (most of the times...) ahhh

Old 07-25-2008, 08:06 PM

12,857 posts, read 8,243,670 times
I would not bring anything except a smile and to be a gentleman. if the first date goes very well, then call her the next day, thank her and ask her out for another date. If the second date goes even better then get her roses delivered to her the next day if possible. Thats what I did with my wife.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:08 PM

7,468 posts, read 14,425,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'm not big on flowers - they make me think of funerals.
I once bought a former GF flowers. She responded with Why would you give me something that was dead? They were roses. A month or so after that she bought me flowers, saying that the ones that she bought me were her favorite. Seriously, women, crazy.

What to bring on a first date? Hmmm.....mace.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:35 PM

23 posts, read 53,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
What to bring on a first date? Hmmm.....mace.
LOL! No, I don't think I would need that on this date.

But seriously, I have gotten a huge spectrum of replies regarding this. Everything from don't bring anything and be yourself to bring flowers or a DVD or even mace..lol Unfortunately, that doesn't really narrow down an answer leading me to believe there isn't an answer.

I do know that lots of roses or a DVD or some 'gift' is not what I want to do. The point of this thread wasn't 'How can I show her how rich I am by giving her some nice gift?' I am pretty sure I am more well off than she is (which wouldn't matter to me either way) and if she ultimately only cares about money than that will be the first thing that'll make me run.

I actually have a genuine interest in this girl unlike I have ever had to anybody in the past. Like I said, this one feels different which is weird because I have been in plenty of relationships before so for me to feel something new is odd - I thought I had felt it all by now. I guess this goes along with the whole thing when people say "Oh, when it's right, you'll know it"

But thats what scares me, I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch...ie: I meet her and it turns out to not be what I expected. That would be a major bummer. I'm sure my insides would be torn up for a while.

I did think that maybe a simple flower or two (not a rose) of decent size, not too big or small, would be nice. I don't know where the meeting place will be yet but even I don't know if I want to meet her at her house the first time we meet. But another poster mentioned something I thought of also, what if I met her in a park or restaurant or some other public place? What the hell do you do with the stupid flowers? I want them to be something basic and sweet, not turn into some headache because she feels like she has to keep after them the whole date.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:43 PM
NCN

14,085 posts, read 12,286,194 times
Get there on time. Be polite. Hand her the box of chocolates and you can eat them together.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:29 AM

7,119 posts, read 13,647,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pointone4 View Post
LOL! No, I don't think I would need that on this date.

But seriously, I have gotten a huge spectrum of replies regarding this. Everything from don't bring anything and be yourself to bring flowers or a DVD or even mace..lol Unfortunately, that doesn't really narrow down an answer leading me to believe there isn't an answer.

I do know that lots of roses or a DVD or some 'gift' is not what I want to do. The point of this thread wasn't 'How can I show her how rich I am by giving her some nice gift?' I am pretty sure I am more well off than she is (which wouldn't matter to me either way) and if she ultimately only cares about money than that will be the first thing that'll make me run.

I actually have a genuine interest in this girl unlike I have ever had to anybody in the past. Like I said, this one feels different which is weird because I have been in plenty of relationships before so for me to feel something new is odd - I thought I had felt it all by now. I guess this goes along with the whole thing when people say "Oh, when it's right, you'll know it"

But thats what scares me, I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch...ie: I meet her and it turns out to not be what I expected. That would be a major bummer. I'm sure my insides would be torn up for a while.

I did think that maybe a simple flower or two (not a rose) of decent size, not too big or small, would be nice. I don't know where the meeting place will be yet but even I don't know if I want to meet her at her house the first time we meet. But another poster mentioned something I thought of also, what if I met her in a park or restaurant or some other public place? What the hell do you do with the stupid flowers? I want them to be something basic and sweet, not turn into some headache because she feels like she has to keep after them the whole date.
If you do go with a flower, you can ask that they give you one of those water ends, you know the plastic things that hold water. Depending on the size of the stems, you may be able to fit a few in.

For someone like me, with rose in my user name, you can pretty much guess that I love roses, and it's funny, my hubby doesn't buy me roses much, he'll pick up a bouquet of mixed flowers, a lot of time they don't even have one rose in them.

Do you know someone with a garden? If so, a hand picked bouquet is much nicer & more thoughtful then going to the grocery store & buying a bouquet. btw, you can usually buy those water ends seperate. Supermarket has sold them to me before.

If you do flowers, do you know if she even likes them? Do you know if she owns a vase?

Since you met online, so uses a computer. Does she have a webcam? You can pick them up really cheap these days, I see newegg.com has 26 of them under $25. If she doesn't have a thumbdrive, you could pick one up and fill it with tunes or even pictures. If you voice chat, a headset. Funny Tshirt?

What do you know about her that will help you choose something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Flowers are deinitely nice BUT, how about saving the flowers for a 2nd or 3rd date is better..... just because I'm always of the mind that you don't want to risk OVER doing it on the first date. I ONLY say this because some women might take a gesture like this (yes as simple as flowers) as a sign that the guy will spend money on them. Yes, you may laugh but it's true, I've known female friends like this. Just a thought but you seem sweet and I wish you nothing but good wishes.
You're right. Maybe he should hold off on anything till they meet a few times.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:02 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,491,864 times
Just bring yourself. I found it awkward when my husband brought me flowers on our first date. It was nice, but roses are a sign of love, not something to push on a first date.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:07 AM

123 posts, read 231,907 times
OP- you are a gem.lol

Do you have a younger brother who is at least 25yrs old whom you can introduce to me? Lol

Agree with most of them here- you won't go wrong with flowers or better still- a new CD or book she might have mentioned to you she likes

All e best and let us know how ur date went!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:37 AM

345 posts, read 949,797 times
One single, pale pink rose = admiration

Red is definitely out for a first date!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships