Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 09:36 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
So what causes this lack of sexual desire?
I haven't read up on the science of it, but I imagine a few things. A lack of hormones for a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 10:04 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I haven't read up on the science of it, but I imagine a few things. A lack of hormones for a start.
Whilst a medical reason may be relevant, I think for most it's just a trend/fad.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Whilst a medical reason may be relevant, I think for most it's just a trend/fad.
A bit like the 'bi-chic' fad. Although saying you're asexual hardly makes you more popular outside specific circles.

Not to say that some people don't use it as an excuse.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:13 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
No. What's this trend you speak of? How can asexuality be a fad when hardly anyone in mainstream culture has heard of it (when's the last time you've seen a pop culture reference to it)? Hell, many people who are asexual haven't even heard of the term or label or even have the idea that they have this orientation (I'm sure a lot of them just question their sex drive being off).

Old 12-19-2010, 10:13 PM

I just think people say it to cotton off of modern Western liberal relativistic values.

To me, sexual desire is a normal human feeling, and asexuality seems weird. Not everything in life we understand, nor even have to.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
No. What's this trend you speak of? How can asexuality be a fad when hardly anyone in mainstream culture has heard of it (when's the last time you've seen a pop culture reference to it)? Hell, many people who are asexual haven't even heard of the term or label or even have the idea that they have this orientation (I'm sure a lot of them just question their sex drive being off).
I think it's strange, since to me it's incomprehensible. Why am I not allowed/permitted to express this?

Old 12-19-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I think it's strange, since to me it's incomprehensible. Why am I not allowed/permitted to express this?
No, but you said it was a trendy fad. A fad implies something that catches on to mainstream culture and spreads.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
To me, sexual desire is a normal human feeling, and asexuality seems weird. Not everything in life we understand, nor even have to.
Yeah, but human behaviour is so varied that someone is bound to find something that feels weird and hard to relate to, to an individual.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:41 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
I don't mean liberal in the political sense.

Even if it's not chosen, it still seems hard to understand.
In what sense do you mean it? In any case, there are asexuals from all backgrounds. And it's not a fad--it's just how some people are.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
You are. It's just a bit dismissive to come to a conclusion with so little information, especially when as you admit yourself, you don't understand it. If you don't understand it, then how can you know if it's just a fad or not, let alone, "decide" it must be? Do more research and learn more about asexuality before "deciding" you know what must cause it, especially given the fact even neurologists and psychologists are still trying to figure out the answers to what leads to sexuality in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships