Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
Group hi5 is in order.... sorry about busting your wallet though.

Seriously though, if you have room for cancellation should you wish to, and if there are some nice B & B in the area you are going to, just look into it. You might be surprised. For our honeymoon we went to a really nice B & B in St. Augustine. The breakfast was just wonderful. The warm hospitality excellent. The room was beautiful. Spacy with a fireplace and whirlpool. And the price for all this... at this particular location and this cottage type room $225 a night. There are even cheaper and very similar ones for like $130-$200 a night. You can also add packages which include chocolates, flowers, champaign and even dinner in your room in some of these places.
Yeah, they're kind of cute, but can differ significantly - like the non-chain hotels in the past. I haven't been to many as they're all non-smoking, but usually there are screeching floors, or ancient plumbing, or nosy owners, or all of the above... guess some people call this charm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 05:28 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,224,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yeah, they're kind of cute, but can differ significantly - like the non-chain hotels in the past. I haven't been to many as they're all non-smoking, but usually there are screeching floors, or ancient plumbing, or nosy owners, or all of the above... guess some people call this charm!
Not sure where you have gone to them or which one's in particular but I've been to ohhhh about 5 of them and was really sort of let down a bit by only 1 of them, but even that one was nice. I've been to one in Cocoa Beach, Florida, revisiting that same one about 4-5 times. Loved it there. Been to one in Missouri that was terrific as well. Would have revisited it if I had returned to Missouri. Been to one in Orlando/Kissimee area, that's the one that was a little bit of a let down, not what I expected but still quite nice. And then been to the one in St. Augustine which I loved as well and would revisit.

I often will do my searches on B & B in the particular area I will be in. I'll check them all out, view all pics and stuff and then go to Trip Advisor to check out any reviews the place may have from those who have stayed there in the past.

I've never encountered the problem of nosy owners, very friendly? Yes. Hospitable? Absolutely. But never nosy. In fact I have found they pretty much keep to themselves other than breakfast time and if they offer evening snacks and you are in the common area, coming to ask if you would like something. As far as screeching floors and old plumbing, some of the older one maybe on the floors, though again, I haven't ever encountered that problem, but it would be part of the charm of staying at a historic inn for example. The plumbing in most however I have found to be rather updated despite it's historic status.

Maybe I've been fortunate but I really have not had a negative stay at any.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:51 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,101 times
Well actually we have a B&B and there are no screeching floors or noise. Not all the B&B's are older homes. We have a house that looks old but is new.
Anyway, good for you it sounds like you are coming around. Sometimes it is nice just to get away from your area. I know when my husband and I travel that even in the car is good talking time that is hard to come by. The fact that you are doing this to please her goes a long way.
That should endear her to you and that's what you want...

Old 07-31-2008, 07:08 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,600,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Yep, we have to drive 5 hrs(from house to mall). We live in w.KS and Colorado springs is the nearest mall. Believe me, I've looked......but we love the mt.'s.
Are you going on this little mini trip for some special occasion? If not, why doesn't she go to the mall and spend the night down there with a friend? Why does she gotta drag you out shopping (unless you want to go ). I would tell her to take one of her friends and see ya in a few days.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:25 PM

46 posts, read 142,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Well, I booked a room at Homewood Suites w/whirlpool and got the romance pkg(bottle of champagne).

She is not a big shopper, unless we need stuff bad. I'm plan'n on no malls, and getting our $ worth on this hotel($325!)

At most we'll go buy her some bubble bath so she can have a nice relaxing whirlpool bubble bath w/out me try'n to .......well you know.

Plan on eating at a nice restaurant, probably $50 for us. So gas $100, hotel $325, nice restaurant $50, bubble bath $10, night w/out husband grab'n your boobs............priceless.

For me............$500 and no malls.......priceless! ........and I better see some skin! What we probably would have spent on each other for anniversary anyway.

Thanks everyone, you just busted my wallet!
better us busting your wallet then her bustin you're .......well you know, for backing out of the trip

Old 08-01-2008, 05:04 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,567 times
Well, canceled the room. She doesn't want to stay at some fancy hotel, and doesn't really care if we go to the mall. Just time away, just us, doing what-ever. She said I "assumed" that she wanted to go shopping......well....yes I did.

Going to see if I can find some "different" restaurants. I'm going to also check out the local b&b's, she wasn't too crazy about that, but I'll check them out anyway.

You all have been great help, hope I can return the favor sometime. Thank you.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
This trip is sounding better and better for you--hope you have a great time!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:15 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,070 times
Don't know if this is too late...but how much further is it for you to get into Manitou Springs? Or do you just stay on the east side of town when you go?

Manitou Springs - Colorado's Hidden Treasure, Tourism - Manitou Springs, Colorado

As hot as it's supposed to be this weekend, I'd go just a tad further and head for the hills. Colorado Springs isn't supposed to be as bad as here in Denver, but still.....

Old 08-01-2008, 10:27 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Don't know if this is too late...but how much further is it for you to get into Manitou Springs? Or do you just stay on the east side of town when you go?

Manitou Springs - Colorado's Hidden Treasure, Tourism - Manitou Springs, Colorado

As hot as it's supposed to be this weekend, I'd go just a tad further and head for the hills. Colorado Springs isn't supposed to be as bad as here in Denver, but still.....
We've done Manitou so much I think people recognize us. What I'd like to do is go on up to Divide, 9K' is nice and cool compared to CS.

If I had my way we would head to our cabin in Divide and go trout fish'n, but .......well that isn't "top of the list" for the wife. Well and it isn't 100% our cabin, more a 50/50 w/parents.

If it wasnt' so far I'd like to go to Ft. Collins and check that out, it's been a while. Only thing that interests me in Denver is 16th st(if I remember right) or Tejon(again....memory), downtown to see the rockies play. Again, not on her list of fav's. Or is it the 19th st mall? I haven't seen weird hair/people for a long time.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:21 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,070 times
It's 16th Street mall

We enjoy going down to Denver every once in a while. The Comedy Works can be fun if someone good is there. Lots of good museums too, but it's too hot to be on the Front Range this weekend.

My husband and I are headed to Gold Lake out of Ward (Boulder/Nederland) this afternoon to celebrate our anniversary (3 months after the fact). Not even sure how terribly cool it will be there either really. Estes Park is supposed to be almost 90.

Have fun whatever you decide to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships