Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 PM

576 posts, read 994,340 times

Advertisements

Not exactly the forum for it, I guess.

But opinions, anybody that cares to respond.

Cash bars at wedding receptions as an option? Boo/hiss. Or it's okay, doesn't matter.

Planning a wedding reception for daughter and weighing the options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
"No" to the cash bar !

But unless this is Jacksonville-related, I'll need to move it to "Relationships"...let me know if there's some Jax relevance .

Old 07-31-2008, 09:32 PM

576 posts, read 994,340 times
Apologies, yes, move it if you need to.

It does have to do w/Jax., only from the respect that the reception will be in Jax.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
No cash bar!! I think it is tacky and would rather have no alcohol than alcohol that I need to pay for.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:05 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
^^^ agreed. Open bar or no bar.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:44 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,742 times
If it's too pricey for a full bar, try beer and wine. Or an open bar for the first two hours. Everyone loves an open bar - but they're not the ones paying for it.
Good luck.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:58 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
You can also do beer, wine and maybe a "signature cocktail"
I was a wedding DJ for many years and heard many of the comments from the guests when it was a cash bar
Anything from
"With all of the expenses now we have to buy our own drinks"
to
"I didn't bring any cash,did you"

Now you can eliminate the champagne for the first toast, usually everyone has a drink by then
I can't tell you how many times I saw folks taking a sip and leaving the rest

Old 08-01-2008, 04:33 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times
agree...no cash bar. Either do a limited bar (beer only, or beer and wine, at least it's something) or do an open bar for 2 hours, like someone said, and then switch it to cash bar. You will also need to state something like that on the invites, or food choice card, so that people bring cash. I never have cash, so if I didn't know, I wouldn't be bringing it.

Do expect people to get a little p&ssy, if they have to pay for any drinks. Whether or not it's right or wrong to be mad at a cash-bar, many people will. You figure, every girl most likely buys a whole new outfit for the event with matching accessories, most of them make their men buy something new, they pay for a gift or give cash to the bridal couple on the wedding day, pay money for a bridal shower gift, and then chip in for the bachelor/bachelorette party.

I know that any wedding I ever went to, I spent more on the wedding than the dinner/drinks amount cost for my head and my date's.

People might feel with all that they put out for this person's special day, that they shouldn't have to pay for their drinks.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:07 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,225,814 times
I would say no cash bar. I too find it kind of tacky. I just recently got married and we were going to go with no alcohol to keep the cost down. The place we found had a package with the open bar for the 4 hours and the difference in price was not that big so we did opt for that. But when it comes to wedding receptions, I just kind of feel it is tacky to expect the invited guests to have to pay for anything. The place we did the reception at had mandatory valet parking, they told us the guests would pay their own valet, we didn't even allow for that. We had arrangements with the location and valet to give us all the tickets and we'd cover them, but to not charge the invited guests.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:13 AM

116 posts, read 419,588 times
A cash bar will likely irritate some guests, but what will REALLY **** people off is not having a bar at all! Dry wedding = torture for a lot of people, myself included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships