Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 AM

148 posts, read 876,797 times

Advertisements

As some people may remember me from a previous thread, I am starting to see someone (single mother). Nonetheless, this post is not jumping back onto that topic, that was for the other thread.

We haven't even been on the formal first date yet (be there in a couple days), but we have spent an immense amount of time texting and talking.

Last night, we spent five and a half hours talking on the phone, no breaks and talking about everything. From random things, to more personal stuff. And there were no dead stretches. Really enjoyable. I am posting this because I found this to be ridiculously long (for me, anyway). From this, I would like to know if others have shared the same experience, because for me, it's a first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:02 AM

667 posts, read 2,887,986 times
5 and a half hours???

Hell no.

But, to be fair, when my then gf quit college, I would talk to her every day during the week about 2-3 hours.

And yesterday, we celebrated year 12 of marriage.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocuri View Post
Last night, we spent five and a half hours talking on the phone, no breaks and talking about everything. From random things, to more personal stuff. And there were no dead stretches. Really enjoyable. I am posting this because I found this to be ridiculously long (for me, anyway). From this, I would like to know if others have shared the same experience, because for me, it's a first.
O M G! You may make it to The Guinness Book of Records! I'm trying to imagine being on the phone for this long and can't... I'll get involuntary mouth spasms and a major headache.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:08 AM

It went by really fast... too fast. Didn't feel like 5 and a half hours at all. Ended up going to sleep at 4:00am though. Paying for it today but I think it was worth it in the end though

Old 08-04-2008, 09:11 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Paying for it today but I think it was worth it in the end though
Yeah, it's OK. Those "inconveniences" are sweet. Besides, you're so young - you can take it!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:58 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
When I was a senior in high school I met a girl through some mutual friends. In the beginning I didn't know anything about her since she went to a different high school so we had a couple of those marathon phone sessions (a few that topped the five-hour mark). Chalk that up to puppy love and infatuation, I suppose, but here is what happened; we very quickly ran out of things to say. Well, at least I did. She also lived on the other side of town, so she called me quite often. She was actually fun to be with when we were hanging out together, and we managed to stay together for a year, but I had to cut her loose because she called me all the time -often multiple times per a day- and I just didn't have anything to say to her anymore (and she was obviously too dependent).

Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 AM

Ahhh... that sucks. I don't see that in my case. At least not at the moment. The dependent part anyway.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:08 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,708 times
Yup, yup, yup!!! I've been in your boat!

My high school sweetheart and I could talk all night long (and literally did a few times - we both fell asleep with the phones to our ears and call still connected!), just about random stuff.

Fast forward.. I do currently have someone in my life of the opposite gender I can do that same thing with now. Our phone conversations do go for hours and the time flies without even realizing it. But, even more of a marathon when we actually get a chance to hang out (we live on opposities sides of the state). Can usually sit down and talk for 4-8 hours at a time, only interrupting because its time to head home - not because we ran out of conversation.

There are just some people we are fortunate enough to have in our lives that we just really hit it off with. Enjoy and cherish what you have -- it doesn't come around very often!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Sounds like you guys might have a lot in common and also might be good at communicating with each other. My wife and I have done that on occasion, but I've also spent that long talking with male friends so to me it isn't that unusual. If I haven't talked to someone in six months, there's sometimes a lot to catch up on. :-)

Old 08-04-2008, 10:43 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
I think that talking that much on the phone in the beginning of the relationship is normal and fine. You are both just getting to know each other. However, if a year later my s/o wanted to *** that much on the phone with me or was just calling and texting me that much, I would be very annoyed with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships