U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Columbia Maryland
333 posts, read 691,486 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
good luck!
Poetry, does not a real life, make!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2008, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Wu Dang Mountain
12,890 posts, read 12,274,494 times
Reputation: 8400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs5mz2 View Post
She tells me that this is how true love happens, I tell her this is how you end up a body on the side of the road, or that your son is being abused, or both.
While I'd be one of the first to agree with you, I also wonder - is this her first real relationship? That would explain her infatuation with this Bard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Columbia Maryland
333 posts, read 691,486 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
This is a guy who is willing to pull up the stakes and move away from everything in his life after knowing her for three weeks. He's leaving his job, his home, his friends... that isn't the kind of guy you want a relationship with.

You want the guy who really has to think about leaving his life behind. He should have the kind of job that he feels attached to, the kinds of friends that he can't imagine not having around, and the kind of life that is full and interesting to him but that she can make even better.

A loser that is willing to drop everything based on three weeks is not someone you need being around your kid.
Agreed!

Its nice when you find someone that you "click" with, but you don't drop everything and run to them on such short notice.

If it is real, then why not wait. Maybe they are believing their own poetry - the star cross lovers thing, and trying to make come true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, CA
47 posts, read 110,567 times
Reputation: 18
hmmm...from my (all to personal experience) definitely not much anyone can tell her...its what she thinks she wants. Its a funny thing, one of my best friends met a guy (albeit local) on the internet, they chatted for a couple weeks, they dated for a week or two, a couple weeks later he moved in, now they've been married going on a year. She's happy so thats really what counts.

But personally, I did something similar with a woman I met online, thought she was the one and it was going to work. Boy was I wrong...but apparently all my friends tried to tell me that when she came to visit me and to this day I cant remember hearing any of that...I only heard what I wanted to hear :-/

Good luck indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Columbia Maryland
333 posts, read 691,486 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
While I'd be one of the first to agree with you, I also wonder - is this her first real relationship? That would explain her infatuation with this Bard...
Nope, not her first relationship, been engaged a number of times, married once, now divorced.

And she is hot, no shortage of guys trying to hit on her, so its not like she is sitting home with nothing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Columbia Maryland
333 posts, read 691,486 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisun View Post
hmmm...from my (all to personal experience) definitely not much anyone can tell her...its what she thinks she wants. Its a funny thing, one of my best friends met a guy (albeit local) on the internet, they chatted for a couple weeks, they dated for a week or two, a couple weeks later he moved in, now they've been married going on a year. She's happy so thats really what counts.

But personally, I did something similar with a woman I met online, thought she was the one and it was going to work. Boy was I wrong...but apparently all my friends tried to tell me that when she came to visit me and to this day I cant remember hearing any of that...I only heard what I wanted to hear :-/

Good luck indeed!
While it is true that without risk there are no rewards, I think we should still try to minimize our risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 AM
 
Location: SUNNY AZ
4,589 posts, read 8,625,170 times
Reputation: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs5mz2 View Post
Poetry, does not a real life, make!
sURE.....Why not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, CA
47 posts, read 110,567 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs5mz2 View Post
While it is true that without risk there are no rewards, I think we should still try to minimize our risk.
I do agree that if there is a way to get her to see how fast she's moving, that would be a very positive step.

How far away does he live? Is there any chance of him coming to visit a few more times before the big move? Even if the visit is set up to be an opportunity for him to look at some job opportunities? That way they can spend some more time together and even some time with her friends before making the commitment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Wu Dang Mountain
12,890 posts, read 12,274,494 times
Reputation: 8400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs5mz2 View Post
Nope, not her first relationship, been engaged a number of times, married once, now divorced.

And she is hot, no shortage of guys trying to hit on her, so its not like she is sitting home with nothing to do.
Wow - OK - that kills THAT theory...

The only other thing I can think of is similar to what you mentioned about the star-crossed lovers - I don't want to sound egotistical but I've known the power of poetry and prose over certain personalities.

It's incredibly strong. And the willingness to believe it's all true is just as strong. If it turns out that yes, it's all true, then you have a union made in Paradise. But if it doesn't...that's when things get ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 AM
 
3,415 posts, read 4,427,868 times
Reputation: 1338
Can you get her to do some kind of "investigation" on him. If anything that comes back doesn't match what he told her it might wake her up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:51 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top