Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 PM

728 posts, read 1,675,964 times

Advertisements

First of all, I'm not sure if this belongs in the Relationship category, but I figured it wouldn't work in the Religion or Garden either..so here goes. My 20 year HS reunion is next June, and besides the mid life crisis that it has sparked, I'm debating as to attending or staying home and having a date night with the wife. Honestly, I cannot say I enjoyed my high school experience or the two hundred or so classmates of mine. I was the classic underachiever trying to weather the storms of puberty,terrible acne,and social awkwardness. Just the thought of my senior year brings back unpleasant memories, so I'm sure my mind is a fertile ground for some unresolved insecurities and so on. Despite all this, I'm too darn curious to just stay home. I wonder how most of these people have turned out. Our class does have an online site complete with profiles and info for the reunion. As expected, the most successful have already filled out a profile. I've counted three or four doctors, several lawyers, one vet, too many to count nurses and teachers. Not that the my life is bad...I work in healthcare making a decent salary, I'm also getting into a nursing program starting in January 09. Still, I wonder by going, if I will be reminded of my place on the ladder once again. Anyway..would love to hear some stories about reunions, especially the 20 yr variety. Some claim that the cliques are not nearly as defined as they were back in HS. My worst fear would be to show up with the wife and end up sitting alone at a table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Well, having actually achieved being here now --
I'm not interested in the past. So I've never gone to, and will never go to, a high school, university, or grad school reunion. Golly, they don't even know where to find me! They were lifetimes ago... I like living now!
Each of us makes our own choice about how to live feeling whole and joyous -- by our own definitions, or by those of others, don't we?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:49 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
My 20 yr reunion was last year. I didn't go. I was a pretty serious loner in high school and didn't care to see anybody. I don't mean that in the psycho non adjusted kind of way. I just didn't care for high school that much. I liked college much better had alot more fun, joined a fraternity did the whole college party thing.

High school sucked for me.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Nope, didn't go and will not go...I keep in close contact with my friends from high school and college so why go?

Old 08-07-2008, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 15,953 times
The last one was a complete and total disaster for everyone involved directly and indirectly.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,585 times
High school was not a good time for me, so there was no need to go to a reunion to go down memory lane.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:56 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times
Would I go to any of my high school reunions? Of course not. Once I graduate, there's not turning back. I removed the memory of my so-called "friends". Even if I pass by my old school, I cover my eyes as ifit never existed. High school has got to be the worst era of my life, brings nothing but bad memories. I guess in the next 18 years, I have completly forgotten about high school and the people there because I would move so far away from the schools I attended.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:06 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,802 times
I'm also on the band wagon that my HS days weren't that great for me, no reason to rehash what is now long gone and forgotten. I have no reason to go and will not attend. I think my 10yr is coming up, but I don't keep up on that sort of thing.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 PM

126 posts, read 260,640 times
My God. You'd think high school was hell; then again, obviously it was for some people.

For me I'd say high school was good. I didn't consider myself popular, but I was well-known. I was shy with girls, never went on a date which made me terribly self-conscious. Looking back I see that it was during my adolescence when my bipolar disorder emerged which explains a lot of the turmoil and dysfunction I experienced.

Originally I never wanted to go to any reunions. When I lived in Orange County, an organizer tracked me down and I was very blunt in telling her I had no desire to go. When I returned to Oregon I decided to try a reunion. I had the time of my life.

What I found out was that, if you're going to attend a reunion, attend the twenty year reunion--or a later one. By the time your 20 rolls around, people are totally different. Sure, they might still be assertive, friendly, shy, etc. But they've grown up. They've lived. There will always be those who are into impressing and regaling everyone with their gold cards, their sports car or their zip codes. Ignore them. Everyone else is rolling their eyes.

But everyone else has settled down and they haven't carried the flotsam that you're still carrying. Believe me when I say that there will be people who remember you, people who respected you. Granted, I'm speaking from experience. Perhaps I'm a hopeless dreamer, but I believe everyone had a place and was noticed.

Remember, too, that people are not the studs and babes they once were. They've got drooping ****, sagging butts, gray hair, crows feet, pattern baldness, ad nauseam. Not only that, they've LIVED--divorces, deaths, problem children, illnesses, financial problems, health problems, marital problems. People aren't adolescents anymore. Don't you think you're still acting like one by assuming such?

I walked away from my twenty year reunion with all my teenage angst melted away. It was very therapeutic. Go to yours. If you look for a rotten time, you'll have it. Give it a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. And report back! Good luck!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 PM

170 posts, read 581,622 times
I went to the 20 year.............to show all them snotty cheerleaders that would never give me the time of day, that I am hot and loved every second of it(and yes, they gave me "time).What a bunch of biotches. Ha Ha Almost all of them look fat and old. Ha Ha, especially the blonde chick that all the guys talked about. So, yeah, I went, not sure if I will go again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships