Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 04:34 PM

63 posts, read 426,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bby07 View Post
Why are people who aren't married by the time they're 30 considered gay or people tell them they're going to be lonely later on in life. I know most people are married with babies when they're 30 maybe this has something to do with it, if we do what everybody else does were considered normal or something. This seems like something that everyone would have believed in the 1950s but it's still going on today, and even the women on Sex and the City got married at the end of the show. I heard that Paula Deen's son was gay because he's in his late 30s and he is still single and not a father yet.

But the real question I'm asking is are we supposed to end up married with babies and a job and a home to call our own? And why are people considered gay if they're not married by a certain age?

because you gay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 05:45 PM

260 posts, read 675,750 times
Thats ridiculous. Its different times today.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:57 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
I think part of it is that people often look for a reason to look down on others. In this case, if someone's married and they meet someone who isn't and judges them for it, it's almost like they're saying, "Ha ha. I'm married and you're not. I must be a better catch than you." They need to find something wrong with you to explain why you're still single.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:00 AM

859 posts, read 3,321,547 times
I would like to know who is calling you gay for being 30 and unmarried?

In the NYC area, it is almost the norm to wait until 30-ish to get married.

I think there are many reasons people may want to marry at 30 or even later: persuit of higher education, work on their career, travel the world...or maybe even simply because they don't find the one right away.

You can accomplish a lot in yours 20s...and then marry when you're 30 and still have plenty of time for the kids and picket fence.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:30 PM

444 posts, read 1,049,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLaughLove View Post
All my friends got married while still in college at 20. Some at 21 with two or three kids already. To each his own, it just sucks I have no one to go out with because they are all occupied with family life. One of my friends has already gotten a divorce. I think people feel like they should be married right after college. I myself see no point in raising kids while I'm still teaching myself to grow up.

I totally agree with you. Most of my frinds are amrried and a couple of them are getting married in October. She said she didn't want to get married any later than 30 years old. She just turned 30 in May. I also have some friends who had babies and didn't realize how hard it was to raise a kid. Of cousres they don't regret it but they do agree is was rushed into. I am not ready for either. I want to live life a little more and have fun!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:55 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bby07 View Post
Why are people who aren't married by the time they're 30 considered gay or people tell them they're going to be lonely later on in life. I know most people are married with babies when they're 30 maybe this has something to do with it, if we do what everybody else does were considered normal or something. This seems like something that everyone would have believed in the 1950s but it's still going on today, and even the women on Sex and the City got married at the end of the show. I heard that Paula Deen's son was gay because he's in his late 30s and he is still single and not a father yet.

But the real question I'm asking is are we supposed to end up married with babies and a job and a home to call our own? And why are people considered gay if they're not married by a certain age?
I don't know what rock you're living under, but why do you think people who are over 30 and unmarried are considered gay? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If that is the case, then there are innumerable presumably gay men all around me. I must be swimming in homos every day and playing poker, drinking and joining fantasy football leagues with nothing but gays. If you can quit whining about how you are subject to ridicule and discrimination because you haven't pulled the matrimonial trigger and spit out some babies and judging the "breeders" for their judgmental nature long enough to disengage the recto-cranial interface, you might realize that people think you're gay for some other reason.

For example, I think Paula Dean's son is presumed to be gay NOT because he's in his late thirties and unmarried, but because he is exceptionally well dressed, does not even know how to prepare a decent white gravy, always wants to cook healthy dishes without any butter and he sleeps with men. Quit watching the food network so much; people will think you're gay.

And I want everyone (you know who you are) to quit bitching about how hard it is to find "CHILD FREE" dating partners. If you just date without saying something crazy up front like "I only want to date someone who knows for certain that she never wants to have children", you may find that your dating pool just increased by 85%. Why don't you just tell someone you are a bi-polar psychotic and you only want someone who can deal with your escapades for extended periods? You can adopt any attitude, any belief, or any ethic that pleases you and you can say absolutely anything that you want but don't be surprised when people judge you for the same.

I have to go, Throwdown with Bobby Flay is coming on.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:41 PM

72 posts, read 226,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBoi View Post
because you gay...
No I'm not, and I'm getting married to my boyfriend of 2 years in October.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:46 PM

72 posts, read 226,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I would like to know who is calling you gay for being 30 and unmarried?

In the NYC area, it is almost the norm to wait until 30-ish to get married.

I think there are many reasons people may want to marry at 30 or even later: persuit of higher education, work on their career, travel the world...or maybe even simply because they don't find the one right away.

You can accomplish a lot in yours 20s...and then marry when you're 30 and still have plenty of time for the kids and picket fence.
Not me, my cousin and one of my friends, whose 35 have been questioned why they're not married. It's probably is normal to get married in NYC at age 30 because it's a more urban city, and a lot of big cities have single people and people who marry late(Sex and the City).

If you go onto google and type in Bobby Deen gay, there's a lot of post saying and asking if Bobby Deen is gay, but I know he isn't though, he's cute.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:27 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I think part of it is that people often look for a reason to look down on others. In this case, if someone's married and they meet someone who isn't and judges them for it, it's almost like they're saying, "Ha ha. I'm married and you're not. I must be a better catch than you." They need to find something wrong with you to explain why you're still single.
Rep point for you! This is probably the smartest post on this thread for as concise as it is.

Sure, some married people roll with it, but an awful lot of them are, as you say, condescending to singles above 35, plus or minus.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,664,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
Because some people are ignorant. People don't have to be married and have little brats if they don't want to. There's some people who marry when they're in their mid 30s or 40s. I think its better if people born after 1985 get married and never have children.
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships