U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:34 PM

663 posts, read 5,282,421 times

Advertisements

Have you become more or less ambitious as you've gotten older? Were you extremely ambitious and had big dreams in high school/college, but the reality of the real world, marriage and family has gotten in the way of those? Or, were you more of an underachiever in your younger years, and working your way up the corporate ladder has brought out a drive that you didn't know you had? This could also include creative/intellectual ambitions, not just career/job.

I'm interested to hear what factors have caused people to become more or less ambitious as they get older. Marriage, family, health issues, being burned out, jobs/careers not going as planned/going better as planned, etc.

Maybe you had ambitions to live in a particular area, have a big McMansion, and have expensive cars, etc.? Or perhaps you were super ambitious about finding a partner/mate in your younger years, and as you got older, became less so? Or the other way around?

Last edited by doglover29; 08-08-2008 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 12:42 PM

3,490 posts, read 7,382,490 times
Yes, I am less ambitious than I used to be with regards to WORK. I used to think that work and a good career were really the only things that mattered. I could not fathom friend's of mine moving and leaving jobs to be with a man - I just felt like work should come first.

Now I am more ambitious when it comes to my relationships. I realize that in the scheme of things, being a hot shot at work is nice, but far less important than being in a fulfilled relationship and being HAPPY.

So I would say that I don't have LESS ambition, I have just shifted the focus of my ambition if that makes sense?

Old 08-08-2008, 12:47 PM
miu

17,152 posts, read 34,648,266 times
I would say that my priorities have shifted as I grew older. Being happy and enjoying life is more important that career successes and higher pay. And so what if I'm not at the top of my field? My parents still care, but I don't.

I'm also had more thoughts about going into other lines of work as the years have gone by. I just keep getting interested in different types of things. I have ideas for small businesses, I am still drawn to music and art, and creative writing also appeals to me greatly. I like to think of myself as a renaissance person.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:47 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,857,321 times
I would have to say I've gotten less ambitious career-wise. However, educationally, I've become more ambitious. When I was in my late teens, early 20's, I had some really high aspirations. Real life in the form of a husband and children took me down a different path, but I did enjoy myself! I'm at a point in my life where I no longer desire to be the best in accordance with someone else's standards. I love the job I have. I have the privilege of having a lot of flexibility, have little to no stress and it pays well. Now that my children are full-grown, I can focus on getting a better education for my own satisfaction. My life didn't go according to my plan, but it's worked out quite well. I'm happy.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:58 PM

40,497 posts, read 39,995,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Have you become more or less ambitious as you've gotten older? Were you extremely ambitious and had big dreams in high school/college, but the reality of the real world, marriage and family has gotten in the way of those? Or, were you more of an underachiever in your younger years, and working your way up the corporate ladder has brought out a drive that you didn't know you had?

I'm interested to hear what factors have caused people to become more or less ambitious as they get older. Marriage, family, health issues, being burned out, jobs/careers not going as planned/going better as planned, etc.
This is funny posting as I was just discusssing this issue with a co-worker. When I was younger (20) I was going to college and a family friend got me a low end job with a huge corporation fortune 150 type of company. I worked hard go the promotions etc. etc. Anyway over the years I've seen how large corporations treat people, layoffs, restructuring etc.

It kinda just makes you feel like a number. The bottom line is money, the only thing that they care about. Making the shareholders money seems to be the only thing that matters. Setting unrealistic growth goals. Grinding every frickin ounce of blood out of you.

I left that company and went to a much smaller private owned company in the same industry and seems to be a little better. More realistic growth goals, a little more flexible in dealing with personal matters etc etc.

As I'm getting older I'm realizing that there is so much more to life than getting the corner office. Yeah, not making quite as much money, not having the latest BMW fancy this or that you know what I'm talking about. Most of the material things in life are really garbage that corporate America is shoving down people throats.

So many people are going in to thousands of dollars of debt trying to keep up appearances. Ridiculous.

I drive a piece of crap car. But, got a decent 401k plan have a decent amount of money that is liquid. Not bragging I'm just trying to live simply. I
work with young guys that have 700 dollar car payments. I'm like WTF

I'm feeling more spirtual these days.

On my way to happiness.

See you guys there

Old 08-08-2008, 01:00 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,913,703 times
I was always a very early accomplisher and use to be an aggressive type A, extremely hard worker till I hit middle age when a series of events out of my control (that was bad enough to begin with) and wholly unfair to me stripped away everything.

You can spell that divorce, divorce court, and govt interference in business without regard.

I am more than efficient, equitable, and honest when given charge of any situation. I found it not necessarily so when others have sway over your life and nearly killed myself in an unsuccessful effort to make things fair. Have I become jaded and largely given up because of it - yes!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:05 PM

5,077 posts, read 13,067,967 times
I think I was more ambitious when I was younger because when I was younger I wasn't as smart and so I tried harder to get what I wanted. With age, came wisdom and the ability to work smarter not harder. So, I'm still ambitious but I just don't sweat the small stuff anymore.
I've also become more bold as I've become older. I say and do things now I would have only thought about saying and doing years ago. Funny stuff.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:05 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,488,407 times
Quote:
Have you become more or less ambitious as you've gotten older?
Yes.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:06 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,210,880 times
Quote:
Were you extremely ambitious and had big dreams in high school/college, but the reality of the real world, marriage and family has gotten in the way of those? This could also include creative/intellectual ambitions, not just career/job.

Marriage, family, health issues, being burned out, jobs/careers not going as planned/going better as planned, etc.
Exactly

Old 12-11-2008, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,374 times
Default Have i become more or less ambitious

I don't know where I am at most of the time. When I was young(er), I was what I considered a pusher, get things done, done right and now! Today, I have no idea, I have been unemployed for 2 years, I went to school but was so unimpressed by the teachers that I stopped going to school. I did a career change but turned out I changed into a field that hit the skids the moment I came into it. Ambition - what is that? I have no idea where my ambition is or how to get it to surface. I should have logged in as "totallylost"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or