U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:04 PM

25,170 posts, read 33,536,398 times
Talking Is it better to just give up?

LOL Is it better just to give up? One of the recent posts questioned if America was morally bankrupt. I think a lot of it is..... I was raised with strict morals, expected people in real life to follow similar rules, and after being shell shocked I feel completely useless in today's society, like I can't relate and people don't want to agree with me, my style, or my morals....people don't speak directly or with honesty which makes it all the more difficult, some of the more aggressive people have cult mentality and wish to convert me over to their style of thinking, so I'm guessing it is better to just give up lol.

The reason for this post is because I've gotten many replies on craigslist for new friend but nobody has followed through with anything, one guy saw the ad and called me up and mentioned he was going to cut his wrists 3 times I was like OMG I said friend not mental patient....so I'm like ok they are missing out and wasting my time ....so I'm just going to give up on that.....my family members have given up on making new friends years ago and I should probably follow in their footsteps...

Last edited by artsyguy; 08-12-2008 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 12:10 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,575,495 times
I think alot of people feel as you do. A bunch of lonely people who can't connect because we can't find the other moral, lonely people. LOL

I think some of it has to do with where you live...some places in the states breed more moral corruption than others, but you can still find it everywhere.... as well you can nice people. I think it takes longer and more effort though

Old 08-12-2008, 12:28 PM

1,888 posts, read 2,942,476 times
I don't know if it's better.. it might seem easier though.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:35 PM

5,244 posts, read 3,048,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
LOL Is it better just to give up? One of the recent posts questioned if America was morally bankrupt. I think a lot of it is..... I was raised with strict morals, expected people in real life to follow similar rules, and after being shell shocked I feel completely useless in today's society, like I can't relate and people don't want to agree with me, my style, or my morals....people don't speak directly or with honesty which makes it all the more difficult, some of the more aggressive people have cult mentality and wish to convert me over to their style of thinking, so I'm guessing it is better to just give up lol.

The reason for this post is because I've gotten many replies on craigslist for new friend but nobody has followed through with anything, one guy saw the ad and called me up and mentioned he was going to cut his wrists 3 times I was like OMG I said friend not mental patient....so I'm like ok they are missing out and wasting my time ....so I'm just going to give up on that.....my family members have given up on making new friends years ago and I should probably follow in their footsteps...

I have given up on making new friends too. Like you, I reached out to someone here on C-D...we emailed once to each other, all good. Then she decided not to respond to the next message, that was about 4 weeks ago. I'm done, I give up. I always get the short end of the stick.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:38 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,400,603 times
Craigslist probably isn't a good place to find a decent guy! Do you go out to singles' mixers and things like that? That might be a good place to find someone. But then, in my experience, I seem to find someone when I'm not looking!

Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 PM

355 posts, read 920,664 times
LOL i couldnt agree more artsyguy. I try to go out and meet new people and make new friends and even when i ask my sister to do something simple like go to a concert with my its immediately "sure, maybe we can pick up some guys. i need to get laid so bad"... : ( So i just end up going alone. Thats also why i have never lived with my sisters...random guys in and out. I find it odd because my mom is from a small town in Brazil and everything with her is done with class. She raised us to be hardworking, intelligent, and aware people. Even so, my sisters were having sex at 13 and years later at 20 yelled at my mom saying something along the lines of "I wasted so many years not having sex because you thought it was morally wrong!!!" but even with my good long time friends, i find that they are sticking safety pins up and down the length of their arms.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:12 PM

1,463 posts, read 2,314,399 times
It is very hard to meet people in this world. Some how going to bars and such might not have what you are looking for. Find a club group that you are interested in and maybe you might meet someone with the same interests. Go and volunteer (that where I met my husband) and you will find, giving, nice people most of the time. Plus I tell my kids to "network" with other friends to find someone they already know. The interent can be tricky and probably dangerous for some.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:15 PM

44,369 posts, read 54,849,587 times
Quote:

Well, first of all, STOP looking for new friends on Craig's List for pete's sake! You need to make new friends at places or activities you will each have in common. If you don't have any activities you normally enjoy, time to find a hobby or some volunteer work - like helping on a Habitat for Humanity House. Lots of people on that kind of work site to meet

I know what you mean and agree that some days it IS discouraging to think of how morally bankrupt our world has become. But you just have to rise above that feeling of dispair and continue being a beacon of light yourself in this dark and fog so many are navigating in. As much as it seems that things are worse than ever, they really aren't.

Just think of people like Anne Frank and what she lived thru hiding with her family in an attic for years to avoid capture by the Nazi's. At the end when they were about to be captured and go to certain death in a concentration camp even she was able to say that "Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart". She never lost her optimisim and hope for a better world - neither should we

Old 08-12-2008, 01:31 PM

12,890 posts, read 12,473,406 times
I'll echo the "stop looking on craigslist" sentiment. While bored one day I was browsing through the personals and noticed that about 75% of the gals listed there described themselves as having "black hair and pale white skin".

I felt like I had stumbled onto the VampirePals.com site...

I mean, come on - what are the odds? And to top it off, the ones who DIDN'T have those attributes were busy listing what they wanted in a guy - small things -

"You MUST be over 7' tall, 28" waist, have 3 PhDs, drive a Ferrari and love living with 17 kids. You'd better not be a player, 'cause I'll hunt you down, rip out your gonads and feed them to the pigeons!"

...this accompanied by a tiny, blurry photo of what looks like Elsa the She-Wolf.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:54 PM

4,589 posts, read 8,710,564 times
Quote:

nope...can't give up otherwise you would deprive some very lucky person of a great soul mate!!

If all the good people out there gave up bcs of a few Je*ks then where would we be as a people? As a country or as a world? They would then win. Listen, I know it's discouraging and sometimes you just don't want to deal anymore but you can't let other people take away from who you are....be stronger than them and never ever let them take away your optomistic and trusting qualities. You have to take chances,....over and over and over again as many times as you need to in order to find what your looking for......good things will come to you as long as you keep your faith in yourself and stay positive!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships