Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 12:14 AM

342 posts, read 1,831,187 times

Advertisements

You have to go through the four seasons of dating before seeing someone's true colors. This happens at different paces for different couples. Hardships endured and shared will also be revealing, because it's when sh** hits the fan that you lose your composure and any facade and fronts are discarded. That's when true character (or lack thereof) will shine through. Everyone can be sweet and nice and loving when having a good day, but you need to be sure that the love's still there on a bad day.

Just make sure that it's not one person who's always in need and testing the other person. It has to be reciprocal. Otherwise, you end up noticing that you were always there for the other person in their time of need, and they bailed as soon as the relationship became something that required effort on their part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,478 times
You know, sometimes I think the real person is revealed, but the person in the relationship just does not want to see it. And in most of the cases, I think this is true, rather than true colors not being revealed until 4 years into a relationship.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 AM

342 posts, read 1,831,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
You know, sometimes I think the real person is revealed, but the person in the relationship just does not want to see it. And in most of the cases, I think this is true, rather than true colors not being revealed until 4 years into a relationship.
That's definitely true. I know I've had a couple instances where love blinded me to glaring red flags, and I ignored the little signs because I wanted the relationship to work so badly, or was just too in love to see it any other way. You know what they say about hindsight... Signs are useless if you refuse to see them.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:58 AM

193 posts, read 812,544 times
I think the true nature of a person can be revealed pretty quickly (for most people, obviously people who have major issues like pathologically lying have perfected their art). I think that the majority of the time people choose not to listen to their gut because they like so many other things about a person. At least that was my experience the one time I pursued a relationship while ignoring red flags.

Of course I'm not talking about things like whether a person likes ribs or not, but true nature does seem to come through pretty quickly, if you pay attention, don't brush off any feelings you get, ask those probing questions that were mentioned. And I don't think this only applies to big issues like honesty, but to other things that vary from person to person, such as whether world views are similar.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:50 AM

123 posts, read 351,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Honey child let me tell you how to solve that problem, this is what I do, are you listening, ok honey, first of all you need to learn to be interrogative like a detective, don't be rude and don't be a brat, probe with questions softly and with respect and give a few days, then do that again, and again and make up your decision on the individual after three or four discussions with him or her. Use BOTH your intellect and gut feeling. Be intellectual about your decisions. You have to think this through.

The second part to this is you need to learn to set boundaries right away tell the person what you prefer and what you like other people to do for you, teach the person how to treat you by giving out instruction, that way you run into less problems. Ok. See how he respondes. Does he agree, validate or relate? If so you are on a good path. Does he sound hesitant to validate, remain silent, become annoyed? If so you might be on the wrong path. That should tell you right away, so you don't waste time with no stupid bozo. Next is be respectful to what your new date or partner wants, it isn't one sided, you have to be nice to him too. Last test the waters, see if he respects your boundaries and is sincere in his actions. Nobody is perfect at all times but there can be a very good person out there for you.

The other rule is that if the person breaks important promises more than THREE times, at that point you've got to distance yourself and maybe not date that person anymore.
Gosh you sound like this guy I used to date only that he overdid it.

The above steps however would typically not work on people who are guarded. And then the problems might set in and you start misreading each other.

I say the above steps are great if the person you are dating is mature and has dated around. Not everyone knows what they want in life and might not be able to give you the answers you seek. It may take more than just 4 discussions

Old 08-15-2008, 08:04 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times
I think it really took me about 3 months to see who my bf is. We've now been together almost 4 years

Old 08-15-2008, 08:32 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times
I agree with the above posts. Usually the signs are there, but they're hard to read because we're blinded by love, the desire for a relationship, the flattery and kind words, etc. That's why it's important to take your time, see the other person in different situations, observe how they treat their family, friends, pets,
etc. I also think it's important to work together on a project to see if your styles are compatible. Does the person have your best interest at heart or does everything have to be to their benefit? Are they a giver or a taker? These are important things to find out before you consider making a relationship permanent. How a person handles adversity is a really good window into their true character as well.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,033 times
ummm.......get married then come back

Old 08-15-2008, 11:34 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
Exactly my point, with my method you are able to root out the immature and unsophisticated. I've rarely met anybody at my level of maturity or sophistication (in real life) LOL.

Somebody else mentioned how important common sense is, I very much agree and find common sense to be a huge plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princ3ss06 View Post
Gosh you sound like this guy I used to date only that he overdid it.

The above steps however would typically not work on people who are guarded. And then the problems might set in and you start misreading each other.

I say the above steps are great if the person you are dating is mature and has dated around. Not everyone knows what they want in life and might not be able to give you the answers you seek. It may take more than just 4 discussions

Old 08-15-2008, 11:45 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
I was a horrible person to date now that I look back on it.

My personality was always the same - but the way I looked was different.

For dating : I'd prine for hours, put contacts in, make up, hair done, shaved my legs (and other places) but the best of the best foot forward...

That's not how I am. I MIGHT shave my lower part of my legs once or twice a month (only), I'm more of a ratty t shirt and shorts gal, my hair is nearly always in a messy ponytail and I wear glasses every day, and wear makeup only for special occasions.

I guess it a facade. But don't we do the same in Job interviews?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships