Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:47 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times

Advertisements

maybe shes just too needy?

there is no rule that says family has to be there every waking moment of the day. when you set that standard, it will probably go unmet. she should be happy she has a cousin that took an interest in her life, even for a short time period. people come into our lives, stay for a while, or forever. its the way it goes.
but the bond of family should be strong enough to withstand some time away from eachtother. two of my brothers live 400 miles away. we chat periodically. am i the type of person to answer their call with a "well its about time!!!" ? no, i answer their call with glee. i understand they have lives, as do i, and i appreciate the time i have with them. what i do tell them, is "call my mom!" she needs to hear from them. old age and all. im okay with the occasional calls.

i think that it is hard adjusting to change, and that is the case here. she needs to get used to not always having people around. sometimes is just baby and me. no one has an obligation to anyone. we are in eachothers lives freely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Your comments are so callous. She didn't say her cousin could not be friends with other people. She is being snubbed by her relative. That is painful. She also set boundaries with her cousin and she is not obeying the boundaries. Can't you understand that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 02:52 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Let's clear something up - did she PROMISE to keep in touch on a regular basis? Or did she say she'd TRY? Big difference, right?

Speaking of fumbling around - I never got an answer as to why everyone in my family started dying off when I was 7, even though I asked a LOT of people...sometimes life just happens. Perhaps these early lessons could be beneficial to your daughter, in a way that we can't see right now...
She said she felt really bad and she knew it was messed up of her and she promised to KIT........Look, I don't expect her to call every day or even every week but maybe once a month even just to talk to my daughter......i mean common......But yea, she has an awesome aunt Tina who loves her and an Awesome Uncle B who loves her and awesome family but still........it always burns.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

there is no rule that says family has to be there every waking moment of the day. when you set that standard, it will probably go unmet. she should be happy she has a cousin that took an interest in her life, even for a short time period. people come into our lives, stay for a while, or forever. its the way it goes.
but the bond of family should be strong enough to withstand some time away from eachtother. two of my brothers live 400 miles away. we chat periodically. am i the type of person to answer their call with a "well its about time!!!" ? no, i answer their call with glee. i understand they have lives, as do i, and i appreciate the time i have with them. what i do tell them, is "call my mom!" she needs to hear from them. old age and all. im okay with the occasional calls.

i think that it is hard adjusting to change, and that is the case here. she needs to get used to not always having people around. sometimes is just baby and me. no one has an obligation to anyone. we are in eachothers lives freely.
Needy? Really? Dude, I'm not askin' her to hold my friggin hand.....maybe call my daughter once a month....too much to ask? I think not. She knows having a child look up to you and love you is a responsibility......it's totally fine with me if she doesn't want to be a part of that but then stay the hell away.......don't come in and out of our lives and expect that to be okay......

Old 08-15-2008, 02:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Stuff does get busy but it is called time management and is no excuse for poor social skills.

Quote:
When I was in grad school, youngin', there WERE no emails or texts. There was only the phone. And that was a luxury, finding the time to use it.

You must be taking some easy courses.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:55 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
She said she felt really bad and she knew it was messed up of her and she promised to KIT........Look, I don't expect her to call every day or even every week but maybe once a month even just to talk to my daughter......i mean common......But yea, she has an awesome aunt Tina who loves her and an Awesome Uncle B who loves her and awesome family but still........it always burns.
OK, she did promise then - then she's wrong not to keep her promise. And I agree - once a month at least is doable on most schedules.

But 5-year olds are 5-year olds - I'd be willing to bet that she'll forget about the slight rather quickly if it isn't brought up in conversation too often.

And hey - you've got all those other great folks in her life - what more could she (you) want?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:56 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Stuff does get busy but it is called time management and is no excuse for poor social skills.
Yeah, you're right.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:57 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,119 times
Maybe she concentrates now on her problems and her issues , she is busy and needs time to handle her situation in life , and after a while she will come back to you and your daughter. Don't worry about your daughter just tell her the truth . your cousin is not mean just has a lot of work to do.

Quote:
OK, she did promise then - then she's wrong not to keep her promise. And I agree - once a month at least is doable on most schedules.

But 5-year olds are 5-year olds - I'd be willing to bet that she'll forget about the slight rather quickly if it isn't brought up in conversation too often.

And hey - you've got all those other great folks in her life - what more could she (you) want?
Yea this is true......I am fine with her being gone but my daughter for some reason latches on to her like she's going out of style.....I have no idea why she's so attached bcs she's not that way with anyone else........she asks about her quite often and i usually say auntey dez is working or auntey dez is out of town but my girl is smart.....she's going to/ if she hasn't already/ figure out something's not right.

You are not a relationship type of person, that is clear. There is more to the equation than what meets the eye. You just do not get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

Old 08-15-2008, 02:59 PM

You are right. Big Brothers and Big Sisters organization have researched that when adults are unstable, and unreliable in a child's life it can do much more harm than good to the child. That is why they require the mentor to have a background check and be a reliable mentor for one year and hold once a week meetings with the child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Needy? Really? Dude, I'm not askin' her to hold my friggin hand.....maybe call my daughter once a month....too much to ask? I think not. She knows having a child look up to you and love you is a responsibility......it's totally fine with me if she doesn't want to be a part of that but then stay the hell away.......don't come in and out of our lives and expect that to be okay......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships