Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 07:07 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,192 times

Advertisements

I realized yet again that I'm a pretty good Dad.

My boy was having a whiny, recalcitrant morning wherein nothing was right. He's in that phase where I'm suspecting he's saved the Terrible Twos until he was three and could enjoy them more fully.

He didn't want to take his space pill this morning (daily Singulair) and was pitching a fit. It became his "space pill" because one day we were playing cosmonaut due to the presence of a spaceship on his t-shirt. I also give the dog some daily medicine each morning, so when he decided he didn't want his I simply said "Okay, you don't have to take it. I'm going to fix Micky HER space pills now..."

Of course, since the dog was getting hers...

He didn't want any pants, let alone socks and shoes.

"Okay," I shrugged. "You just keep your jammies on, I'm going to take your pants, socks and shoes with ME and I'll drop them off at school without you."

Of course, since those items would be going to school anyway...

Then he didn't want to go outside to get in the car. "Okay," I said. "You just stay there, standing in the kitchen and crying. I have to take Micky outside. We'll be back, you just make sure and stand there, and PLEASE, keep crying since you're enjoying it so much. We'll be back in a few minutes."

I never raised my voice or got sarcastic, I just was going to let him have his way while everyone else went on with their lives.

Of course, since we were going outside anyway... and since I ASKED him to KEEP crying and didn't appear bothered by it...

Mission accomplished nicely. My own (biological) mother would have slapped me repeatedly, my father would have bawled me out while letting me know how I was ruining HIS life, etc.

Yep, I felt pretty damned good about handling my son with none of that garbage.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:39 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I realized yet again that I'm a pretty good Dad.

My boy was having a whiny, recalcitrant morning wherein nothing was right. He's in that phase where I'm suspecting he's saved the Terrible Twos until he was three and could enjoy them more fully.

He didn't want to take his space pill this morning (daily Singulair) and was pitching a fit. It became his "space pill" because one day we were playing cosmonaut due to the presence of a spaceship on his t-shirt. I also give the dog some daily medicine each morning, so when he decided he didn't want his I simply said "Okay, you don't have to take it. I'm going to fix Micky HER space pills now..."

Of course, since the dog was getting hers...

He didn't want any pants, let alone socks and shoes.

"Okay," I shrugged. "You just keep your jammies on, I'm going to take your pants, socks and shoes with ME and I'll drop them off at school without you."

Of course, since those items would be going to school anyway...

Then he didn't want to go outside to get in the car. "Okay," I said. "You just stay there, standing in the kitchen and crying. I have to take Micky outside. We'll be back, you just make sure and stand there, and PLEASE, keep crying since you're enjoying it so much. We'll be back in a few minutes."

I never raised my voice or got sarcastic, I just was going to let him have his way while everyone else went on with their lives.

Of course, since we were going outside anyway... and since I ASKED him to KEEP crying and didn't appear bothered by it...

Mission accomplished nicely. My own (biological) mother would have slapped me repeatedly, my father would have bawled me out while letting me know how I was ruining HIS life, etc.

Yep, I felt pretty damned good about handling my son with none of that garbage.
Sometimes its not easy to outsmart a 3 yr. old. I like your approach. I think you should write childrens books.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 AM

Im happy because the flooding in my utility room and den downstairs was caused by a drain line from the washing machine and not a major plumbing issue. Got everything cleaned up, nothing was ruined and I shoveled all the remaining mulch off the trailer in the terrible humidity and it didnt kill me!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:11 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
As my ongoing standoff with the birds behind my house continues, I am happy to announce that I demonstrated great restraint as they took it up a notch this morning. Rather than my usual wake up call at 5:00 AM, they got off to an early start--4:15 AM...chirp, chirpity, chirp! Not only did I manage to refrain from going all "Jack Torrance" on my feathered little friends and from hacking down the trees which harbor these noisy neighbors, I actually managed to get back to sleep within several short minutes. It's the small victory's that keep us going sometimes.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:29 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,325,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
As my ongoing standoff with the birds behind my house continues, I am happy to announce that I demonstrated great restraint as they took it up a notch this morning. Rather than my usual wake up call at 5:00 AM, they got off to an early start--4:15 AM...chirp, chirpity, chirp! Not only did I manage to refrain from going all "Jack Torrance" on my feathered little friends and from hacking down the trees which harbor these noisy neighbors, I actually managed to get back to sleep within several short minutes. It's the small victory's that keep us going sometimes.
But....but....Coolhand...those are natures little serenaders! They come to sing you sweet tweets to get your day started......no, you're not buying that either......ok, just glad you were able to get back to sleep!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
But....but....Coolhand...those are natures little serenaders! They come to sing you sweet tweets to get your day started......no, you're not buying that either......ok, just glad you were able to get back to sleep!
Yeah, when I was deployed in the desert I actually missed the sound of birds chirping believe it or not. I wouldn't mind them so much if the serenading started after 7:00 AM on weekdays and 9:00 AM on weekends.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,297 times
Quote:

WELL done . Perhaps you could send the birds Avienne's way .

Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,325,557 times
Quote:
Yeah, when I was deployed in the desert I actually missed the sound of birds chirping believe it or not. I wouldn't mind them so much if the serenading started after 7:00 AM on weekdays and 9:00 AM on weekends.
Bird whisperer, anyone??

Old 06-11-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Bird whisperer, anyone??
Not quite a whisperer, but one time I actually shouted for them to SHUT UP!!! and all at once, they all shut up for about 2 seconds, and then the chirping commenced. I wonder if one of those fake owls would help ward them off?

Old 06-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Trade you the song birds for the guineas and roosters than know where my bedroom window is. Im happy the rooster that believed 2:30 am was time to get up is no longer with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships