Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer to sleep apart or cuddled up, or does it depend?
I'm a spooner or a cuddly sort in bed. 30 16.04%
I love you but get off me, I need my space! 105 56.15%
It depends/other 52 27.81%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Yes but what would he say?...
He would tell you the same exact thing In fact, he's a big baby about it if I don't go to bed at the same time he does, says he can't sleep if he's not all cuddled up with me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,150 times
I CANNOT stand it when my partner tries to cuddle me before bed....I NEED THE SPACE!!!! I get all annoyed, hot, cramped, crowded and worried i'm going to hit them/ disturb them etc...and furthermore, mypartner last night ENDED Up smacking ME in the head TWICE with his head because he was so dang close to me he wanted to SLEEP ON MY OWN PILLOW with me!! I was like "move the HECK OVER" but he's a big guy and had one arm under my neck and the other on top of me, smothering me!!! OH MY any ideas before I end up throwing him out of the house???

Old 10-30-2008, 08:12 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
My favorite spooner in bed is my rescue lab/mix. She does not snore nor does she take up more than half the bed! And my little Chi sleeps on my second pillow on top of my head!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:15 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl1977 View Post
I CANNOT stand it when my partner tries to cuddle me before bed....I NEED THE SPACE!!!! I get all annoyed, hot, cramped, crowded and worried i'm going to hit them/ disturb them etc...and furthermore, mypartner last night ENDED Up smacking ME in the head TWICE with his head because he was so dang close to me he wanted to SLEEP ON MY OWN PILLOW with me!! I was like "move the HECK OVER" but he's a big guy and had one arm under my neck and the other on top of me, smothering me!!! OH MY any ideas before I end up throwing him out of the house???
Funny! Get a dog! And chase your partner to his own room and bed! Been there done that! I cannot sleep with anyone in my bed except my dog! I need lots of room to stretch and I am a light sleeper.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:32 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,921,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl1977 View Post
Pass gas.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:17 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
This is one reason I am single and one reason I'd rather find a girlfriend when I've already "made it" so I have more of an excuse to be weird and eccentric, lol.

I do not like sleeping in the same room as anyone else, at all. Let alone in the same bed. It's NOT my thing. They just did two studies on this and found that no matter what people responded, everyone sleeps worse, guys and girls but especially guys, when they are sleeping with someone else. That's my main problem is I need my sleep and I can't function properly or maintain my edge during the day if I don't get the sleep I need. So for me, I really wouldn't want to be living with a girl. The perfect phase is dating where if she spends the night I can just not bother with much sleeping and the next day I'll be wiped but oh well I can schedule that as an off day since I'm self-employed. But a girl sleeping in my bed or my room, no thanks. Sleeping I consider a solitary activity, like taking a dump, I don't want anyone watching me when I sleep, I don't want them anywhere near me. If anything sleeping is annoying, the fact it has to be done is kind of a waste of time in the first place, and I prefer people to see me awake, alert, and looking my best, not sleeping, which automatically puts you in a vulnerable position (why I keep a gun by my pillow, hehe). More than that, I have never been able to sleep well with anyone else in the room. I'm a modest, shy person, I like my space a lot. I can't even take a leak in a public restroom unless I go to a stall. Peeing is not a public activity, I don't want people looking at my back when I'm trying to pee or I literally can't go even if 2 minutes before I had to go so bad it hurt. Sleeping is much the same. I don't like ANY noise, I don't like ANY movement, and having someone in the same room let alone in the same bed is immensely distracting and I just cannot sleep at all, which means I can't function the next day.

I guess I wish I were more "normal" and could just sleep easily no matter what, but I'm pretty sensitive. Once I'm asleep I'll probably remain asleep with a minimum of noise, but movement would distract me. I have to keep my place very dark when I'm going to sleep, it needs to be 66 to 67 degrees at most, otherwise I can't sleep at all if it's 70 or above, too hot, and it needs to be very quiet too. I've had a few times trying to sleep at someone else's place where it was too hot to sleep and I don't do that thing at all. One time I left a girlfriend's place at like 4 a.m., first off there's the issue that I don't share anyone else's sleep schedule, so she wanted to sleep well before me, but I tried anyway. Then it was too hot so I finally said to her, look I'm sorry I'm going home, I have to get some sleep, it's nothing personal.

Sleep schedule is a big deal for me, potentially a deal-breaker with a girl in general. If she thinks 9 p.m. is a good time to go to sleep, even on weekends, I can't date her at all. 9 p.m. is the middle of the day in my book. My ideal sleep schedule is 4 a.m. to just past noon. That's ideal. I'm off book now, I'm more like at 6-7 a.m. to 3-4 p.m. because of my current recovery from a health issue, and that ruined my sleep schedule, so it's been hard to get back on where I'd like to be. But no matter what, even though I've done the getting up at 6 a.m. thing before, I can't be happy or healthy in life getting up early. I have a delayed sleep schedule, my natural cycle and what my body tends towards is 4 a.m. to noon or 1. I finally stopped fighting it after doing some research and realizing this is just how I am. So if a girl wants to sleep at midnight, not unreasonable, and get up early, that's really going to distract me from my natural sleep schedule and my schedule in general.

Basically it's sad but girls and I with sleeping don't mix.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i sleep alone. i dont spoon or back to back. but then again i dont have to worry about who is at my back or what goes on at my back either. i seem to sleep better that way.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:27 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Yeah, that's really true. It makes sense I would be the way I am with sleeping because I'm a private, shy person, and other things are also an indicator. Not only not liking public restrooms, but also when I sat in a classroom if it wasn't assigned seating I ALWAYS sit at the back of the room. Not because I'm shy about talking or a slacker, actually I usually raised my hand all of the time and was an A student. It was just because I don't feel comfortable with people behind me, looking at my back, staring at the back of my head. I like to observe all, but be observed by few.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:49 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
I cannot accurately vote in this. I can sleep any way - close, apart. . either or. When I am out - I am out. I have a 90lb Rottweiler that thinks he is human that hogs the bed and a big cat who thinks he owns the bed. I'm not fussy in this arena. I just need what's mine and I am good to go.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I'm just wondering if I'm unusual in that I don't like to sleep all "cuddled up" with my partner.

Don't get me wrong, I like to cuddle to a certain degree but when I am close to drifting off to sleep or trying to get to sleep I don't want anyone touching me or up against me... I want lots of room to move around and plenty of space around me. Sometimes I will start to feel restricted and a little bit panicky.

I thought well, maybe it's because I'm hot natured and it's summer? But nah, I realized I'm not big on cuddling during sleep in the winter either unless it's FREEZING and therefore necessary to keep warm.

Just curious if others are like this too. My partner is the opposite, very much a "spooner"....so sometimes it's a little bit of an issue.

Obviously the question isn't just for those in a relationship... but for any 2 people in an intimate situation who are sleeping in the same bed.
I like a twin bed...and I've been able to share it too. My girlfriend, though, likes a queen size, which puts her--in my opinion--too far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships