Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

True about perception...it might be weird but it is reality to that person..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Every city is like that. When folks hear I live in Richmond they start thinking about our former title of "Top Ten Murder Capitols in the US" when in reality, there are only about 10-15 blocks in the city where I would dare to wander.

We live in a very nice area but the stigma is still there because my address is Richmond. Oh well.

Stuck's reality is real to him and you know what they say "Perception is reality". No one can really argue with someones feelings.

Pollyanna is back...sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 03:00 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
well you are lucky because most cities I've seen have nasty, dirty, old, creepy downtown areas...
The Village in NYC was great.

...until those sleazeballs from Philly came up, anyway...

Old 08-20-2008, 03:01 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Quote:
True about perception...it might be weird but it is reality to that person..
BTW, the phrase "Perception is reality" is a great way for me to tell my husband to be quiet...it is quite hard to fight someones feelings...works everytime!

Just a little strategy session...

Old 08-20-2008, 03:02 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
So are you taking the bet, or can you just not bring yourself to do it??
How much am I getting from the bet?
I've murmered about the parts of the city I like,but what's the point since I don't live there? Sure if I was surrounded by those people all the time I'm sure that would rub off on me just as my current surroundings have.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:03 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
No I haven't lived in the places you've mentioned,those are for the rich yuppies and doctors. And not everyone is that priveleged. I've never been in an area with such a difference between the haves and have nots in my entire life.

!
Ok, I will give you that. There is a huge difference here between the 'haves' and 'have nots'. However this is true of many if not MOST cities. Not just here. And just because you consider CC to be for the priviliged, does not make it bad. In fact it's gorgeous. And way cheaper than most east coast cities. You should try NYC and see how you get on there with a similar budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I could do that but then I'd be as cliche and vanilla as everyone else
Yeah, and this kind of sums it up. You are willing to openly trash a place on public forums, spreading your vitriol far and wide, but you simply CANNOT bring yourself to say ONE positive thing. It's really sad.

And don't ever accuse me of only saying positive stuff. I know a lot of crap goes down in Philly. The city has major issues outside on CC and some other neighborhoods. I have no problem acknowledging that.

But lets be honest, you are unable to have a balanced view on this. Simply incapable.

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Pollyanna is back...sorry
LOL, more multiple personalities emerging!

Quote:
well you are lucky because most cities I've seen have nasty, dirty, old, creepy downtown areas...
No,just the rest of the city is that way

Old 08-20-2008, 03:04 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
LOL, more multiple personalities emerging!
Just wait...Sybill has nothing on me!

It is just a shame I cannot get more than one screen name as to hide it from you all

Old 08-20-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Pack her crap up and move
Finances being one of the reasons...although I have gone so far as to contemplating just leaving it all behind and moving on as the nomads do

Old 08-20-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
The Village in NYC was great.

...until those sleazeballs from Philly came up, anyway...
LOL...could they even make it in NY??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships