Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times

Advertisements

As opposed to women who are always selfless and noble? Man, the premise of your question just killed me.

However, let me get past that. Essentially if you are giving us the complete picture, your husband was badly burned by the most important person in his life. The person he was supposed to trust above all other people. And once somebody has been burned, it's very hard to get that person back near the fire again.

Your husband has deep-seated trust issues and, unfairly, is allowing those issues to drive your marriage. So what do you do?

First thing's first. You need to COMMUNICATE. You may be doing this already. But are you choosing the right moment to do so? Are you choosing the right method?

For example, are you expressing these frustrations in the heat of the moment when he's just said "no" for the umpteenth time to something that would be normal and reasonable otherwise? Or are you waiting to talk to him about this when the two of you are having a nice conversation and the mood is good? There's a world of difference between the two moments.

Are you accusing him, saying, "You never want to...."? Or are you saying, "I fully understand your feelings based on your past marriage, and I respect them. But I'd like for you to understand how you're making me feel." Again, there's a world of difference between the two statements. One makes him to immediately adopt a defensive posture, while the other expresses empathy and an honest desire to mutually solve a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You know, this thread reminds me of a quote from a book (Damage) that made big impression on me.

Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.

In my observations, people who have left a marriage once are much more likely to do it again and they do.
Wow, we know two entirely different kinds of people I guess. I actually know about 20 second marriage couples who are much more happily and successfully married than they were the first time around. And I almost forgot to include my own parents! My dad and step-mom just celebrated 30 years and my mom and step-dad would have too had he not died a few years ago. Come to think of it, I don't know ANY second marriages that have broken up - though I do realize that is probably a bit unusual. I'm thinking your viewpoint (and mine) are greatly colored by our own experiences with this issue

Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 AM

11,394 posts, read 24,438,947 times
What makes you so sure he wasn't selfish in the first marriage? Do you know the whole story?

Maybe he was controlling in the past and blames his ex-wife for being too free. Maybe she told him to take a flying leap. Now you're dealing with a serial control freak or chronic sadsack who's passing the buck onto someone who's not around.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
What makes you so sure he wasn't selfish in the first marriage? Do you know the whole story?

Maybe he was controlling in the past and blames his ex-wife for being too free. Maybe she told him to take a flying leap. Now you're dealing with a serial control freak or chronic sadsack who's passing the buck onto someone who's not around.
True. You know what I've found? People who blame their past woes completely on "Other People" are typically first-class rationalizers who never are willing to shoulder any part of the blame for a relationship that soured. That's true in relationships, jobs, financial problems, you name it.

It's kind of like whenever I interviewed somebody, and they repeatedly slammed past bosses for things and how nothing was ever their fault. Earlier in my life, I just swallowed that hook, line, and sinker. But I realized that if somebody is changing jobs every year like clockwork, it isn't bad luck. It's a deep-seated problem with the person I am interviewing. And if somebody never says, "Well, I probably contributed to the situation by doing...." then WATCH OUT. Because you're just going to be the next person in line to be blamed for a disappointing life.

It's kind of like what I told a friend of mine who has repeated problems with his wife's antics: The first time she did it, it was her fault. The second time she did it, it was your fault.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:01 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Are you accusing him, saying, "You never want to...."? Or are you saying, "I fully understand your feelings based on your past marriage, and I respect them.
You know what? I don't wanna understand his feelings! He should've understood them himself before going back on the market and ruining somebody else's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Come to think of it, I don't know ANY second marriages that have broken up - though I do realize that is probably a bit unusual. I'm thinking your viewpoint (and mine) are greatly colored by our own experiences with this issue
Naturally, everybody’s opinions are colored by his/her own experiences. Afraid the statistics don't support your viewpoint, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Good point!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
You know what? I don't wanna understand his feelings! He should've understood them himself before going back on the market and ruining somebody else's life.

Naturally, everybody’s opinions are colored by his/her own experiences. Afraid the statistics don't support your viewpoint, though.

Good point!
True. But that's really not important at this point, given how she already married the clod (By the way, not to blame the victim here, but did she not detect these character flaws before marching down the aisle? I just don't understand how this kind of behavior only surfaces after the wedding). So now, in order to improve matters, she's going to have to use some steady diplomacy to bring about a change in his attitude.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Good point!
I don't need statistics to "support my viewpoint" I've already said that I know my experience won't be everyone's experience. I'm just saying there ARE successful second marriages out there - much more sucessful and happy than the first marriage - so it does happen! And when it happens I believe it is because people took the time to LEARN from the failed first marriage and now do things differently in the second.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:11 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
True. You know what I've found? People who blame their past woes completely on "Other People" are typically first-class rationalizers who never are willing to shoulder any part of the blame for a relationship that soured. That's true in relationships, jobs, financial problems, you name it.

It's kind of like whenever I interviewed somebody, and they repeatedly slammed past bosses for things and how nothing was ever their fault. Earlier in my life, I just swallowed that hook, line, and sinker. But I realized that if somebody is changing jobs every year like clockwork, it isn't bad luck. It's a deep-seated problem with the person I am interviewing. And if somebody never says, "Well, I probably contributed to the situation by doing...." then WATCH OUT. Because you're just going to be the next person in line to be blamed for a disappointing life.

It's kind of like what I told a friend of mine who has repeated problems with his wife's antics: The first time she did it, it was her fault. The second time she did it, it was your fault.
Oh, you're right! I'm not questioning anything you said in this post.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I think the divorce rate goes up for second or third marriages b/c everything becomes easier once you've done it before.

I'm sorry to say that the OP was clearly generalizing based on her experience. Most of the men I work with are on their second marriage and they all seem much happier. They usually say they were too young when they got married the first time.

That being said, I know how hard it is not to immediately get riled up at being reminded of something your ex used to do that drove you insane. It can be hard to remind yourself that this is a new person and politely explain why it bothers you.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think the divorce rate goes up for second or third marriages b/c everything becomes easier once you've done it before.

I'm sorry to say that the OP was clearly generalizing based on her experience. Most of the men I work with are on their second marriage and they all seem much happier. They usually say they were too young when they got married the first time.
That being said, I know how hard it is not to immediately get riled up at being reminded of something your ex used to do that drove you insane. It can be hard to remind yourself that this is a new person and politely explain why it bothers you.

This is the case with many of the men, and women, I know in second marriages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships