Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:40 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times

Advertisements

So, another posters thread got me thinking (the one about what would make life easier). I'm asking this question to my City Data folks then I'll tell you my story.......

What is better? Having a job that you love with manageable stresses but you don't take it home with you and the pay sucks ORRRR you have a job with fantastic pay but TONS of stress and you carry it all home with you everday and dread your job - only staying with it because of the pay. Which would you want IF you could choose?

Here is my situation. I got laid off from a good paying job (good for me based on education and skills, experience, etc) the recall never came and I ended up going on unemployment for the first time in my life and stayed on for the maximum time - which I loved for the time off, when off, I went hiking everyday, job hunted, got my real estate license - so I was productive but when it was time to get back to work I had a hard time finding a job with the same pay - and no, I wasn't overpaid LOL I was steadily getting paid higher and higher and then as the market turned, jobs became scarce and paying way less.

So, I ended up taking a job where the pay is about $3 per hour less but I like coming to work everyday and the stress is manageable. There are days when I do seem to take it home but then I get over it a lot quicker than I used to at my last job (s).

Anyhoo, so I was curious which situation suited everyone....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
funny this is posted now bcs I was just given a promotion that I was weary of accepting (due to family and full time school work), the monitary raise is quite substantial but so is the responsibility level. I took it but now am struggling to maintain my gpa in school, I am still holding at 4.0 but i'm worried that if I slip up even once it could drop.....I do not take it home with me though, i make sure of that.....longer hours at work but when i'm home i'm home physically and mentally. I'm really not sure, I guess it would depend on your priorities, I am currently searching for other opportunities and am willing to take a slight drop in pay in order to have more home time and be able to focus on school more.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:01 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times
Do what I did, get a job with less stress AND better pay.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:06 AM

9 posts, read 43,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Do what I did, get a job with less stress AND better pay.
Easier said than done but it is a goal that you could set for yourself. If you can comfortably support yourself and family with the job that pays less, I say be happy! If not, then I would be unhappy for a bit while applying for a job that will make you happy.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
When I'm on my death bed, I hope to have happier memories of my life than the dollars and cents I made...

Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Happy, less pay. The stress is only going to kill you and it's no way to live.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Of course, a happy medium would be ideal, but for some reason as easy as it appears at first sight happy mediums rarely exist.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Of course, a happy medium would be ideal, but for some reason as easy as it appears at first sight happy mediums rarely exist.
I've known a couple of gay fortune tellers...

Old 09-03-2008, 09:00 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
How about both?

Old 09-03-2008, 09:00 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I've known a couple of gay fortune tellers...
OK, smart as*!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships