Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times

Advertisements

the only dating site i have ever used is plenty of fish and it's going pretty well i must say. there's actually a lot of fine girls on that website. i've been checking out the girls in and around chicago plus the ones in mississippi since im moving there soon.

I've met up with a couple of girls and had a good time. others not so much. i've even developed repors(sp?) with women online and then as soon as you talk to them there was just no vibe what so ever. the internet will trick you like that. i also had a girl who wanted me to move down by St. Louis...LOL. so you get the whole gambit of people on that website, probably like most dating web sites. but it's a good one because it is FREE! it really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
ron, I had terrible experiences with them. I seemed to only attract freaks and geeks!! guys who lied on their profiles when they said they didn't smoke, or guys who listed all these active things they did, but when it came to going out, their idea of a good time was sitting around at home. And don't get me started on the ones that started talking about sex immediately! , what a turn-OFF. another annoying thing was getting all these "winks" and "hello's", but no actual conversation, what's with that?? I don't know what the "trick" to it is, I just put a profile up, listed some basic things about myself,a few pics, and what I was looking for (hello--NON-SMOKER!!) and this didn't seem to work, so I have little faith in these sites and don't use them anymore.
I wonder where all the decent guys were that manage to get married from an online site?
oh, well I'll stick to the old-fashioned way of things and ask guys out in person! ha! ha!
good luck in your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Share some of your experiences with dating websites. I am using one for the very first time. Boy-o-Boy is all I can say.

If you don't use the sites keep your smart remarks to yourself.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:29 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Ron.,

I can only speak about eharmony cause that's the only one I've ever used and I only did it for the free trial period. Unlike a lot of people, I actually got matches, which is really surprising since I'm not religious and eharmony supposedly leans towards Christians because of its founder. But I got a good number of matches almost immediately. I never met any of them in person though. The problem with eharmony is their profile page. Knowing who someone was most influenced by or what 3 things they're most thankful for or what 5 things they can't live without isn't exactly enough to make me decide if I want to contact them or not, especially since most people end up listing the same things anyway. They have boxes where you can write more about yourself, but the problem is a lot of people don't say much. One match just wrote "Ask me and I'll tell you more." I think eharmony should require people write a minimum amount. They don't have to tell their life story or go into intimate details, but like any other dating site, if the person doesn't give you enough to work with, then what can you do? Second, they should have a section where a person can check off their hobbies and interests. Why should you have to contact someone before learning they like basketball too?

Ultimately, I think these sites are only as good as the people who use them. I don't blame eharmony for the kinds of matches I got. After all, they can only choose from the people who are members. If I'm in a city where only one other person matching my search criteria has joined, then is it eharmony's fault that I only got one match? Of course not. The other thing I was told is that if you're serious about meeting someone online, you can't give up on it too quickly. A lot of people post a profile, don't find anyone they like, and then give up a month later. That would be like going to church or joining a book club hoping to meet someone and then quitting after just a month.

Oh, and to the people who keep saying online dating is for losers who can't get a date in real world, grow up. We live in the age of Monster.com, Facebook and LinkedIn where people go online to find a job. Meeting people isn't hard, but meeting people you'd actually want to date is. I work in a field dominated by men that rules out meeting someone at work. I'm not religious so that rules out church. I'm not in school anymore so I don't have that option. I have my friends but after a while, they run out of people they could introduce me to. Same thing with family. Bars? The gym? LOL. We all know what kind of people you'll find there. I've joined clubs based on my hobbies and interests but even that well has run dry. Online dating is just another option and there's nothing desperate about it just like there's nothing desperate about going online to look for a job. And one advantage of online dating is it saves you time. In the offline world, if you do meet someone who catches your eye, you have to get to know them first and only after a couple of dates do you realize you're wrong for one another. But at least with a well done site, you know immediately if the other person is the wrong religion or doesn't share your politics. The fun and frustration of the dating game is learning enough about the other person to decide if you want to pursue something with them. Online dating is a nice way to skip through a lot of that discovery time.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:40 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,345 times
Used one for a month and ended up meeting the nicest guy I ever met. I had excellent luck.

Two thumbs up

Old 01-08-2009, 01:15 PM

83 posts, read 290,103 times
I have had no good luck with match.com at all. I have thought about eharmony but it is very expensive.

Right now I'm on okcupid and will probably join yahoo.

To read about some of my match.com experiences.... www.badfirstdates.blogspot.com

Old 01-08-2009, 11:36 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
Married for 15 years and met through a newspaper ad! We have an urban paper hear that is a very popular venue to place ads. They have since moved their ads online. They have had many couples that have married via the ads and have had "reunions" to invite all of the married couples that met through their paper. No email chat, no photos, not instant messaging when we met. We were married 16 months after we met and never looked back. There are many ways to meet people. I prefer meeting someone in person versus online or in ads. But the ad thing worked like a charm for us. I tried it because I was in my late 20's and all of my friends were married and my social circle dwindled. I was running out of people to go out with to meet people and was never one that wanted to be single into my 30's or older. The key is to meet potential mates. Whether it's at bars, church, work, or online. It's a number game. The more people you meet, the greater your odds. It's like sales. 9 rejections and then the 10th call is a sale. I am a person who goes after what I want in life. I would have gone on 50 blind dates if it took that long. Perseverance pays off in life. My husband was the 5th person I met via newspaper ads. The other 4 were not bad guys. One was a physician that was just too busy to date. One was too insecure for me. One went back to his ex girlfriend and one was just a negative unhappy person that I could not deal with. But they were all employed, decent looking and interesting people and I had no regrets that I had met them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships