Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,065,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "it's a racial prejudice for dating black guys". I didn't say that I will only date black guys..I'm open to dating other races..but like you said, black men are what I find most appealing.
Not all prejudices are negative ones. Your preference is for black men. And so far, all the men you've dated are black men. And if your boss and casual acquaintances notice that and make comments, then in the future keep your personal life more secret from them. However, I can also tell that it's just the way you are and you come across in your posts as a straight forward kind of person. So... all I'm saying is that you really have no reason to be annoyed at those comments because those people are only making a fair observation of your dating habits and they aren't making anything up. Just shrug their comments off and change the subject.

It's like me being irritated when a random acquaintance walks up to me (Chinese) and starts a conversation off by making comments about how wonderful my heritage is, or how they went to China and everything was so beautiful. Meanwhile, I'm thinking... I'm American, what do I want to talk about China for? And don't even ask me to translate for you either, especially if the characters are actually Korean and not Chinese. Grrr. However, I usually just politely disengage from them and run in another direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 09:19 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,011,140 times
i dated a young lady from argentina...just absolutely exotic...so beautiful. it didn't work out because her family wanted her to be with someone who was latin american. either way, it was a good time and am glad to have had it.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,563,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Not all prejudices are negative ones.

Untrue. All prejudices are negative ones, because they mean that opinions were formed without the benefit of experience or evidence.

Now, not all biases are negative. But all prejudices are.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:04 AM

it's hard to make generalizations...like all of this is this or all of that is that.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Untrue. All prejudices are negative ones, because they mean that opinions were formed without the benefit of experience or evidence.

Now, not all biases are negative. But all prejudices are.
Not true. What if someone is assuming and stereotyping that all black men are amazing and wonderful people to date? Which is what tag08 is sort of doing as she's not giving men of other races a chance to date her. But how can you view a positive stereotype is being negative and counterproductive?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:38 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
it's hard to make generalizations...like all of this is this or all of that is that.
No, it's not hard at all, and generalizations and stereotypes are made all the time by people with lazy minds and poor observational skills. What's difficult is keeping an open mind and judging each person as an individual, especially if there are time constraints due to a large group of people to meet and process all at once. That's why stereotypes are particularly worrisome when dealing with student and job applicants. Making generalizations and using stereotypes is a way of taking shortcuts to the sorting out process... and not fair to the applicants.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:43 AM

well it's hard for me...you silly girl you. i am just speaking for myself...i can't, and don't, speak for all people because that would be a generalization in itself.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,563,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Not true. What if someone is assuming and stereotyping that all black men are amazing and wonderful people to date?
That may be true (at least it is in my case), but it's still not an accurate portrayal, because, believe it or not, there may be black men out there who are not amazing and wonderful. I know it's hard to believe, but to be fair I have to raise that possibility.........

Quote:
Which is what tag08 is sort of doing as she's not giving men of other races a chance to date her. But how can you view a positive stereotype is being negative and counterproductive?
Tag08 doesn't say she will not date nonblack men, just that that seems to be the only type of man she has been with. There is a subtle difference there. Like I said, positive stereotypes can often be negative....I have Asian and Asian American friends I grew up with who very much hate the notion that they are all "model minorities." Being black, I told them to try looking at it from my perspective, where lots of people don't see us as having anything positive happening. But I still can understand how they don't like the stereotype they've been stuck with........

Old 12-05-2008, 03:06 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,703,253 times
According to black women, I am trifling and self hating because I like women of other races, despite the fact that I like black women too

Old 12-05-2008, 04:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,853,425 times
Are these the women that told you that!??

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6...20girlsrl0.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
According to black women, I am trifling and self hating because I like women of other races, despite the fact that I like black women too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships