U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 20,637,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Yes very and kudos to you...And, what does 'hermana' mean?

sista.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 03:21 PM

1,667 posts, read 2,033,591 times
I've always looked at the subject as: there's only one race- the human race.

although I have known a few individuals who seemed to be of a different race altogether

Old 06-13-2009, 11:04 AM

480 posts, read 1,603,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple A's View Post
I have no problem with interraccial marriage. Interracial relationship seems to be growing like wildflower. But black women imo, seems to have a harder time finding men of other nationallity that would go as far as marriage. Successful white men very seldom marry black women, yes they may sleep with them, but to go as far as marrying a black women, is very far and few.
You obviously have never been in the military. There are tons of wm/bw couples that originated in the military, believe it or not. And quite a few lead to marriage ...

Old 06-13-2009, 11:29 AM

18,317 posts, read 15,783,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
OK hermana. Here's the deal. I am Afro-Cuban and African American (I love that term lol), and I am proud to be both.

I also belong to a black Latino social group that was organized to advance black consciousness among Latinos and consciousness of Latino blackness among Americans who happen to be black.

Interesting, isn't it?
Heee, one of my good friends is black and from Honduras. She calls herself a "blacktina."

I grew up in small town, middle America, a place not incredibly ethnically diverse. I graduated from HS with about 150 kids, predominantly non-Hispanic whites. Our town, with its large agricultural/agricultural processing industry, also had a sizable Latino minority population, which has grown by now to the point that it's not really a minority anymore. But when I was in high school, about fifteen years ago, only a handful of my classmates were Hispanic (black, white, or otherwise). They were mainly from settled-out migrant farm families, mostly Mexican and Tejano.

When we were all little kids in school together, there wasn't really any social distinction being made (at least, not on the kid level). But by the time we were in high school, the Latino kids began to only associate with the one another. A kid you might have palled around with in junior high wouldn't date you in high school, it was a definite shift. Too bad, really.
So not much opportunity for cross-cultural dating. I went to a very white (Scandinavian Lutheran - a population so white they're transparent) college, so not much opportunity there, either.

In my twenties, though, I met a Nigerian guy (he himself was born in Canada and became a U.S. citizen as a small child, but his parents were each born in Nigeria and came to the U.S. as college students). I was crazy about him, but there was a definite cultural discomfort on his end, in my opinion, which would have ultimately proved a problem had we become serious, I think. I never did meet his parents (they lived far away and were fairly controlling of their only child historically, so he kept them at emotional arm's length), but my impressions from everything I knew from him was that they were impatient that he wasn't married, specifically to some nice girl from their Nigerian community of acquaintances. I don't know that they would have been okay with a white girl in the picture. I do know for a fact that he got a LOT of grief from black women among his colleagues and acquaintances for dating a white girl. Interesting, given that I, from a stereotypically rural/rednecky area didn't face ANY opposition to my dating a black guy, but he, who lived in a far more urban, cosmopolitan, and educated community, got guff.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 906 times
Post Unsure...

I'm currently starting out in a interacial relationship. Its hard because you normally see the white girl w/ a black guy where I live. Rarely do you see a black girl with a white guy though. I have always been attracted to white guys for some reason, basketball bores tha hell out of me but sit me down sit some guys playing lacrosse & you've got my full attention.
I'm praying that everything goes good but I am still scared about the dirty looks and the snickering comments--they make him so . LOL! This is my first & hopefully it will be my last cuz I really do like him alot.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:36 PM

27,237 posts, read 27,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
There must be 1,000 threads about this, but i'm new .

Anyways, have you guys ever been involved in a interracial relationship? If so, with who? and what race/culture was that specific person?

For the ones who DON'T agree on interracial relationships: tell me why? should men/woman stick to their own culture? Do you have doubts that if you see a man dating a female outside the race/culture as you your culture will be gone? (for example: if a white girl marries a black guy and they have a child and both raise the child to be BLACK-AMERICAN), would that affect you?

I'll start: I've never been involved in a interracial relationship, i don't have a problem with it but i rarely see it in the area i live at.

The End .
Hispanic/white considered interracial?

Old 06-13-2009, 09:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 20,637,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

It is if the Hispanic person is not white.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:28 PM

37 posts, read 60,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
It is if the Hispanic person is not white.
lmao

Old 06-14-2009, 10:52 AM

2,980 posts, read 3,031,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
C'mon you do realize that it's only considered interracial when black people are involved right?

Old 06-14-2009, 12:13 PM

7,483 posts, read 8,528,038 times
I've been in several. Race never really became an issue. The relationships all failed, but never for reasons having to do with race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships