Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 06:08 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times

Advertisements

A a teenager, I dated a couple of black guys. I am white. Really, it had nothing to do with preference, but availability.

The school I went to had 3 white people, and I was included in that number.

We moved and then I went out with a white guy. Then I married a white guy.

My father would have died had he known I was going out with a black guy. I never knew him to be prejudiced but I suppose he did not feel that was appropriate.

My niece is with a black man and has 2 beautiful girls with him. My cousin is married to a black man, has 3 kids.

My cousins father actually disowned her for a while. All is well now.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another. People should be able to decide on their own.

My bf now is Syrian. I like him just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 06:59 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
Please define hispanic..I am Cuban and I am white, so what are you? A black hispanic, a columbian hispanic...????? Most experts say the Hispanic community is an ethnic group and they come from many countries and in many colors.
Hmmm. Okay, you tell me. I have medium olive skin, hazel eyes, and brown curly hair. I get the whole "I know you're not Mexican...so what are you?" all the time. People like to play the guess the nationality game...Brazillian? Turkish? Spanish?...So, lady, what are you? It gets VERY ANNOYING.
My parents are both from the Dominican Republic, but so happen to be a racial minority (I didnt figure this out until I was like 18) because no one on either side of the family looks black at all. Whenever I go to the DR, no one believes I'm from there and everyone asks me if I'm boriqua (Puerto Rican). My mother has light skin and green eyes, my dad is brown eyed and darker complected. My people thought my dad was cecilian or even middle eastern at times. Who knows? My last name is a sephardic jewish last name.
I'm not going to break it down for people all of the time. I think at this point it's obvious most Hispanic/Latino people in this country look almost monolithically brown eyed, brown haired and light tan to brown skinned. Black hispanics and white hispanics (like my mother and said Cuban) are and will be considered exceptions to the "rule".

Old 12-05-2008, 07:31 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
Hmmm. Okay, you tell me. I have medium olive skin, hazel eyes, and brown curly hair. I get the whole "I know you're not Mexican...so what are you?" all the time. People like to play the guess the nationality game...Brazillian? Turkish? Spanish?...So, lady, what are you? It gets VERY ANNOYING.
My parents are both from the Dominican Republic, but so happen to be a racial minority (I didnt figure this out until I was like 18) because no one on either side of the family looks black at all. Whenever I go to the DR, no one believes I'm from there and everyone asks me if I'm boriqua (Puerto Rican). My mother has light skin and green eyes, my dad is brown eyed and darker complected. My people thought my dad was cecilian or even middle eastern at times. Who knows? My last name is a sephardic jewish last name.
I'm not going to break it down for people all of the time. I think at this point it's obvious most Hispanic/Latino people in this country look almost monolithically brown eyed, brown haired and light tan to brown skinned. Black hispanics and white hispanics (like my mother and said Cuban) are and will be considered exceptions to the "rule".
You can talk about exceptions as much as you want; you don't determine who looks like a Hispanic/Latino and who doesn't. There are LOTS of variations in that so-called monolith of yours.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,226 times
Default Dating interracially

My $0.02. I think it's so sad that this country is advancing faster technologically and scientifically than it is socially. I say who cares what race someone is, if you're attracted to them, go for it. If you're family or friends don't like then apparently they don't love you because all they should really care about is if you're happy or not. My mother always told me that if I was going to date outside my race then at least do it with someone who had enough going for them to where it left no doubt why I liked them. The only problem I have with interracial dating is that people seem to either lower their standards when dating someone outside their ethnicity or they're so not used to dealing with people of other races that they don't know what is considered attractive and acceptable behavior for that person's ethnicity group. I see so many attractive Black men who have their stuff together with what can only be described as fat and/or trashy White women or attractive White women with ghetto wannabe thuggish Black men. I know there are other races, but when people think of interracial dating they automatically think of Black people dating White people because those are the predominate two races in this country I guess. I know it's none of business but COME ON PEOPLE! A husband being abusive towards his wife physically and or emotionally is none of my business either, but that doesn't mean it still can't bother me. It's crazy that still today in this country we're so divided by skin color socially that most people in America have no clue of any culture outside their own. If you look up in any scientific reference, all people regardless of nationality are of the same species. We're all just humans despite our skin color, but it seems like the citizens of this country are determined to remain divided by race no matter what. Yes I know my post may sound a bit harsh, but I sincerely tried to expressed my thoughts in as an amicable way as possible. Unfortunately there's no nice way to point out ignorance, but thank you for reading it just the same. Oh and Merry Christmas. lol

Old 12-05-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
You can talk about exceptions as much as you want; you don't determine who looks like a Hispanic/Latino and who doesn't. There are LOTS of variations in that so-called monolith of yours.
I NEVER said I did. I understand there are slight variations. I just pointed some out to you in my own family!!! In America, MOST latinos DO look a certain way. You can blame patterns of immigration, mixing, whatever. I don't understand why that is SOOO offensive to some people. Maybe they don't want to be associated with them?

Yes there are white hispanics and yes there are black hispanics, but both of those are RELATIVELY rare in comparison to what most hispanic people tend to look like in this country.

I think there is a ridiculous amount of threads on here about this subject (to the point where it seems neurotic) so I will not hijack the thread with this subject any longer.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:56 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
Yes there are white hispanics and yes there are black hispanics, but both of those are RELATIVELY rare in comparison to what most hispanic people tend to look like in this country.
I disagree.....many white "hispanics" simply identify as "white", and you would never know they were hispanic by looking at them because people do buy that stereotype of all hispanic people being darker complected.

Spaniards vary in coloring anyway...like many European people, they range from medium olive coloring to very fair. My Spanish family has fair redheads, blonds, and brunettes with very fair olive toned skin.

Besides Spanish, many Latin American people have Italian, German, and other European heritages. Argentina is predominantly white. So there are many white "hispanics", in this country and other countries.

People ask me what I am too, and I just list off the various European ethnicities and it's all over in 30 seconds; not too hard. I don't even bother with the word hispanic, as it says nothing about me and only serves to confuse people.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:02 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I disagree.....many white "hispanics" simply identify as "white", and you would never know they were hispanic by looking at them because people do buy that stereotype of all hispanic people being darker complected.

Spaniards vary in coloring anyway...like many European people, they range from medium olive coloring to very fair. My Spanish family has fair redheads, blonds, and brunettes with very fair olive toned skin.

Besides Spanish, many Latin American people have Italian, German, and other European heritages. Argentina is predominantly white. So there are many white "hispanics", in this country and other countries.

People ask me what I am too, and I just list off the various European ethnicities and it's all over in 30 seconds; not too hard. I don't even bother with the word hispanic, as it says nothing about me and only serves to confuse people.
Sincerely no offense, but the whole white anglo and european white thing is boring.

Wishing for a yawn symbol.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:09 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Sincerely no offense, but the whole white anglo and european white thing is boring.

Wishing for a yawn symbol.
Don't read it then.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:13 AM

202 posts, read 1,075,419 times
i'm asian and have dated mostly latinas,white, and a cape verdean girl.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I think you're right. Some Americans have a screwed up version of what Spaniards look like too. I've had people ask me if I am and I'm like "hah?!". I went on a date with a guy from Barcelona once and he said Spanish people would just assume I was mixed with something else if they saw me because I'm a bit darker (I'm like around Salma Hayek complection). For some reason, I didn't consider me dating Barcelona guy as 'interracial' which is odd because technically it would have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships