Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,327,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
You know your wrong for posting that pic of the baby, right? She's a cutie though.

How did you post these pics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 09:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Force View Post
That's the problem with some people in America, they're afraid their kids won't come out like they want.
And I hear the return policies of the hospitals are not very good!

On the other hand, women going to sperm banks order their babies from catalogs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemureaux View Post
Ah, the dreaded "what are you" question.

For people of mono-racial or mono-cultural heritage, it might be a straightforward question, but ask any mixed kid and it's like nails on a chalkboard, likely to be met with pity, annoyance or sass (or a combination), depending on current mood.
Oh, tell me about it! About 95% of people have to ask "where this accent is from" as soon as I open my mouth! A few days ago some dumb teen even "informed" me I've got an accent as if I don't know... I told her we all do! I really appreciate the rest of the population! I really don't feel I have a problem with my accent and haven't worked on reducing it at all, but if the reduction would reduce those questions I would!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Attachment 27014

My baby girl!
Aaaww, a little chubby girl! You just wanna pinch her! I was like her at her age. Cute little nose and big eyes!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 AM

754 posts, read 1,448,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
There are some very white looking mulattos and I wouldn't consider them black unless they wanted to be considered black. (what does this mean? If they have a black parent, then they are half black. You don't have to consider anything, they are what are. Tiger Woods doesn't want to be considered Black but thanks to his skin color there's no denying that part of his heritage, so in your scenario does he get the same consideration? Or is that limited to only those who "look" white. Wait are you basically saying that it's ok to deny one part of your heritage if you don't look like it?) And I don't think that the one drop rule holds anymore these days, but it's more a matter of what a person actually looks like, not what's in their geneology.
What a person looks like on the outside has nothing to do with who they are and their background. You're saying that a person's race should be determined not by their parents but by the way they look? So that beautiful baby posted by Mr. Cat can be "considered" white to you? You're just going to deny 50% of her heritage based solely on the way she looks?

As far as the one drop rule goes, I'll admit that it's old and definitely symbolizes the time here in America where it came from. You have to remember, prior to the 90's (maybe late 80's but I doubt it), there really wasn't a biracial category you were either black or white ( I remember a few people in school checking both boxes). So for those of us who are a little older, I guess we still have a little bit of that line of thinking in us.

Mr. Cat, thank you for answering my question and posting the picture. I think she's absolutely adorable and I can't wait for my own (regardless of what she/he looks like. But I will say this, if my child comes out looking white, I'm dressing her in disheki's and kente cloths. Yep, she'll be the only one in kindergarten with a kente cloth head wrap . Just kidding.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:20 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
What a person looks like on the outside has nothing to do with who they are and their background. You're saying that a person's race should be determined not by their parents but by the way they look? So that beautiful baby posted by Mr. Cat can be "considered" white to you? You're just going to deny 50% of her heritage based solely on the way she looks?

As far as the one drop rule goes, I'll admit that it's old and definitely symbolizes the time here in America where it came from. You have to remember, prior to the 90's (maybe late 80's but I doubt it), there really wasn't a biracial category you were either black or white ( I remember a few people in school checking both boxes). So for those of us who are a little older, I guess we still have a little bit of that line of thinking in us.

Mr. Cat, thank you for answering my question and posting the picture. I think she's absolutely adorable and I can't wait for my own (regardless of what she/he looks like. But I will say this, if my child comes out looking white, I'm dressing her in disheki's and kente cloths. Yep, she'll be the only one in kindergarten with a kente cloth head wrap . Just kidding.
I think that if a mulatto child looks white, then it's their choice as to if they want to be considered black or white or mixed or coffee or some other euphemism. Of course, they should know about both their heritages, but I believe that it's up to them to decide how they want to present themselves to the world. It's also akin to a child of mixed cultures to choose how they want to present themselves to the world also. The Chinese have a horoscope concept of earthly and heavenly aspects. The earthly aspects are ones inner true qualities. The heavenly aspects are what the public sees.

My nieces are half white (Kiwi) and half Chinese. They look very Asian, but are very tall for their age group. It's obvious that they aren't purely Asian. Will they be pestered by rude people asking what their heritage is? I'm sure they will. But all my life, I've also had rude people asking me where I am from. I feel that it's enough that I look Asian and it's very obviously that I've spent my whole life in the US. Why would they need to know specifically what country my parents hail from? No one asks white or black people where they are from. And I have no entertaining cultural stories to tell these people about my heritage. I quite identify with that Laotian man in the King of the Hill cartoon.

Anyway, labels are tiresome and only add to stupid stereotypes on the part of outsiders.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:54 AM

859 posts, read 2,147,886 times
Hm I am *white* and Hubby is *white* I would not date a *black* Man but thats just my own prefrence. But I have nothing against anyone doing so
However I am from germany so I was brought up way different then my loving caring Man from the USA .. and yes it does cause a argument here and there but nothing we cant get over.
Were talking like the teeanger wants blue hair I thinks its ok if thats ALL he wants, Hubby is ready to call the TEENAGE police hahaha

Old 09-10-2008, 08:17 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Force View Post
to be honest, Mixed women with more black features tend to look sexier and with banging bodies for example this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZBBrBsxY8
yum.........

Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Yep. If my husband and I had kids, I'm not sure what they would look like. Since none of you know me, I can honestly say that I'm not sure if that would make me feel happy. I kind of want little chocolatey kids like me. Anyway, I am black have dated mostly white men. I don't really feel so comfortable with a lot of black American men.

Nevertheless, I have dated black, Indian and chinese men. One thing they all had in common is they loved curvy backsides! I think that "bunda" is becoming popular. I think interracial relationships are fine. I think that having your first positive sexual experience with a certain type of person can set the "tone"--no pun intended--for the rest of your romantic life.

My current husband doesn't look like me, but we have a lot in common. Similar backgrounds, families etc. even though we look like COMPLETE opposites. He also makes me feel really relaxed and is more natural--our families are both from the country--than any other guy I have dated.

Why? Not being judgmental, just want to know.....

Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

I quite identify with that Laotian man in the King of the Hill cartoon.
That dude is hilarious!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Hm I am *white* and Hubby is *white* I would not date a *black* Man but thats just my own prefrence. But I have nothing against anyone doing so
However I am from germany so I was brought up way different then my loving caring Man from the USA .. and yes it does cause a argument here and there but nothing we cant get over.
Were talking like the teeanger wants blue hair I thinks its ok if thats ALL he wants, Hubby is ready to call the TEENAGE police hahaha
So why not? I mean, I don't really give a bleep because I am not trying to date you, but I am just trying to understand why anyone would eliminate a certain group of people.........it just makes no sense to me.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
So why not? I mean, I don't really give a bleep because I am not trying to date you, but I am just trying to understand why anyone would eliminate a certain group of people.........it just makes no sense to me.
I understand where Jasmin71 is coming from. Of course, men like Denzel Washington are quite handsome in the movies that they act in, but that's not real life. Just as beauties like Halle Berry or Tea Leoni are a rarity in terms of real life women that the average person is likely to meet on the streets of their cities or towns. And for us, so far, we've never met a black man in a real life encounter that has interested us enough to want to date or marry. Maybe it's a female thing as men are more apt to sexually fantasize about beautiful actresses and models that they can never hope to meet or date. As it is, women are not as visually oriented as men when picking a mate. It takes a lot more than a pretty face or charm to make us want a man for our husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships