Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times

Advertisements

I could hire her as muscle to collect some money people owe me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
She could do that in her spare time when she isn't being a drill sergeant or running the prison....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I could hire her as muscle to collect some money people owe me.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:38 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
By saying this simple phrase: "Sorry, but you're not all that."

People like that steamroll the timid. When they meet somebody with a backbone, they are generally baffled. Then they respect you.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
She could do that in her spare time when she isn't being a drill sergeant or running the prison....
I could just imagine this scenario:

(thick Brooklyn accent): Hey Tony, how you doin'. This is Mrs. L. She's gonna be our new consiglieri and will take over the family's rackets from now on.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I can imagine her glaring everybody down with her bulging blood-shot eyes as she chews on a massive wad of gum.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I could just imagine this scenario:

(thick Brooklyn accent): Hey Tony, how you doin'. This is Mrs. L. She's gonna be our new consiglieri and will take over the family's rackets from now on.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 PM

485 posts, read 1,840,082 times
Default She was in the right line of work

The fact that she was able to build a company from her kitchen table to the multi million dollar firm it is today gives me the impression she is in the right line of work. Her ability to charm the right people when necessary one minute and strike fear another moment has served her well.

My question just dealt with the issue of how and why these people have the ability to intimidate others they have a relationship with.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:06 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,889 times
A guy that was my friend, recently told me, due to his job, that if I did anything majorly illegal he would rat me out. The guy doesn't quite know what he has done, because the position he is now in technically used to be mine.

Picture it: 2 big bulls going head to head. Its me or him to come out on top, and I've got my plans for him to lose out. And yes, what I've got planned is enough for him to rat me out on!!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:09 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
How can I be over 50 years old and so experienced in life and still be intimidated by people? Well it is true!

I interviewed with a ton of people and did very well and was already to be hired for a great job. The only thing I had to do was a courtesy conversation with the President of the Company. It all went down hill from there.

Ms Lillian (as they called her) was a very strong willed African American woman who scared the living daylights out of people. She started life in poverty but is now the owner of a huge company and a multi millionaire. She did not yell or scream, she did not have to, just that disapproving look did it all. If she looked at you wrong, people were brought back to their childhood when the teacher, Mom or Dad or the School Principal told them they had done wrong.

She has scared many business executives and ex Military Generals by her look and something about her just commands respect. People from all backgrounds defer to her and stand up when she enters the room. She may have the strongest personality in the City.

I was told in my earlier interviews that Ms Lillian would be an intimidating force, but not to worry, she would have nothing to do with me if I were hired. She was two levels above my boss but wanted to make the decisions on all new hires.

Needless to say Ms Lillian was as tough as they said. Her look scared me and her disapproving manner to what I told her made me feel like I was 10 years old again. I got the impression she did not approve of me and that really intimidated the hell out of me.

I was not hired because Ms Lillian did not sign off on my selection.

Have you been totally intimidated by someone like this in any personal or work relationship? If so, how do they do it?
I know LOTS of people like this.......you just have to decide that there is nothing any human being can do that will intimidate you, and stick to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships