Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:40 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times

Advertisements

Okay so I've been off the dating scene for like 9 years now, since 17, so I was a bit curious as to how it's changed.......I found this article and it seems like just in the past 9 years it's changed.....I mean common......don't tell your date about your crazy family? So I guess If I do ever date again I shouldn't tell them about being related to Sammy Gravano????

7 Relationship Topics That Turn Men Off On A First Date (http://ezinearticles.com/?7-Relationship-Topics-That-Turn-Men-Off-On-A-First-Date&id=1096636 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 04:37 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Okay so I've been off the dating scene for like 9 years now, since 17, so I was a bit curious as to how it's changed.......I found this article and it seems like just in the past 9 years it's changed.....I mean common......don't tell your date about your crazy family? So I guess If I do ever date again I shouldn't tell them about being related to Sammy Gravano????

7 Relationship Topics That Turn Men Off On A First Date (http://ezinearticles.com/?7-Relationship-Topics-That-Turn-Men-Off-On-A-First-Date&id=1096636 - broken link)

Interesting list, but I can't agree with it entirely. I eat, breathe, and drink politics...I couldn't imagine not talking politics at some point during a first date. Indeed, if my date had no interest in politics -- or belonged to the "other" party -- I would no have interest in pursuing things further.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:38 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
lola, I started dating after 20 years. Talk about a shock!! Met a nice lady online. We talked off and on for a while. She lived about 45 miles away. I drove down for a date in the morning, and we had a nice day. She invited me to go to a friend's place to play cards, plus she wouldn't mind a designated driver. (I don't drink) Going back to her place (lived with her mother) at 2 AM, the closer we got to her house, the quieter she got. I was about to ask what was wrong and she turned and asked if something was wrong with her? HUH?????? Not a thang!!!! Then why haven't you tried something!!! All that time I thought I was in trouble for something I had done, but I was in trouble for something I HADN'T done!!! She wouldn't go out with me again!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:44 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
All that time I thought I was in trouble for something I had done, but I was in trouble for something I HADN'T done!!! She wouldn't go out with me again!
You know of course that it doesn't matter what we do - we're wrong!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,224,475 times
I hate articles such as this. They have a tendency to operate from this sense of desperation. How to catch and keep a man. This type of article is about 50 years out of date.

I think politics and religion tell a lot about a potential. Talking about how and why past relationships ended tell a lot about a potential. Discussing someone's possible criminal history is smart. If the other person is willing to discuss his crazy family let him. It is important to see how this other persons views his relationships with his family. Finally, discuss the things that are important to you and if the other person is flat out not interested then its not necessary for a second date. Is one to spend the rest of life keeping interests in the background? Is this about how to pretend you are not who you are for a second date?

My last date blew because I thought the guy was too handsy.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
You know of course that it doesn't matter what we do - we're wrong!
That's what my wife says about me! lol
I settle every argument in this house with 2 words........Yes, Dear!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:14 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,227 times
Of course, it's been preached to us forever to not talk about exes on a first date. So, there I am on a first date with a guy I met online about 7 months ago. I was still a bit hurt from breaking up with a BF a few months earlier and I only went on this date to get some of my girl friends to quit bugging me about mourning over the BF.

Anyway, what my new date wanted to talk about was my broken engagement from 18 months earlier. He knew I'd never been married before and wanted to know why. Why haven't you ever married at 39 was just about the first question out of his mouth. I gave him the short version of how I just didn't get out and meet anyone in my 20s and then in my 30s I lived overseas for a long time and traveled with my job so I didn't meet anyone special until 36 and get engaged until 38. Unfortunately, things don't work out as we plan, and the engagement ended.

End of story? Oh no! This guy wanted to know specifics as to why the engagement ended, and how long prior to that relationship had it been since I'd been in a serious relationship. He just kept grilling me, digging for some fatal flaw that would keep me single and never married at 39. I was tempted to ask him, so, you've been divorced for 10 years? What? couldn't you hold a marriage together, you just abandoned your three kids? Sheesh, if I wouldn't jump to conclusions that he was a bad husband (and I didn't), he shouldn't jump to conclusions just because I'd never been anyone's wife. Needless to say, we didn't go out again.

I went back to dealing with the breakup with the BF and put off dating again for quite a while.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
At the dinner table, don't pluck out one of her hairs and floss your teeth with it.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:26 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,224,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloop6 View Post

End of story? Oh no! This guy wanted to know specifics as to why the engagement ended, and how long prior to that relationship had it been since I'd been in a serious relationship. He just kept grilling me, digging for some fatal flaw that would keep me single and never married at 39. I was tempted to ask him, so, you've been divorced for 10 years? What? couldn't you hold a marriage together, you just abandoned your three kids? Sheesh, if I wouldn't jump to conclusions that he was a bad husband (and I didn't), he shouldn't jump to conclusions just because I'd never been anyone's wife. Needless to say, we didn't go out again.
I hate that. I hate the feeling that I am being psychoanalyzed by someone who wants to locate and exploit a weakness. That whole need to feel superior thing.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:58 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
don't keep scratching yourself down there on your first date....with your dinner fork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships