Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 05:08 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,101,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes sometimes a man did have more than one wife in the Bible but it was NOT allowed this was outside the will of God.
How do we know that? The Bible was written by men, and interpreted hundreds of years later by the same church that said Mary M. was a prostitute. And now they are the same ones that are retracting that same statement . And, the same Bible that your reading today was interpreted by a religious group that started the Balkan wars 500 years ago, the Catholic church. Oh, Back in those days run by all men, and today as well.
So, your saying that one of God's favorite men (Job) was in trouble with him (God) for having many wives, when all of his problems started during his trials and tribulations. Then why did he get it all back in ten fold? FROM GOD. They're starting to find out that a lot of books are missing from the Bible. Now I wonder why they might have done that? Is it so that they may be able to control the masses, or, maybe it's because some churches still beleive in teaching the scare tactic that God is a wrathful sort. A tactic still used to scare people.
Me, I would rather beleive that God is a loving, caring and nurturing Father who tends to his flock so that we may love him, not fear him. And like a good sheppard he knows all of our needs, not wants, but needs and what we need to do is just ask him for strength and guidance. Not all of the wailing, crying and begging that so many religions teach their followers to do. Oh, there is that scare tactic again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Ooops!

Sorry for the words I mispelled. Only God and Christ are perfect. I'm only human .

Old 04-08-2007, 05:16 PM

850 posts, read 3,151,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
My husband and I are Christians, and we did not live together before we were married. It was very hard, but well worth it. To be honest, I can't find a place in the Bible that says you can't live with each other before you're married. The Bible does say that you aren't to have sex outside of marriage. It also says that your father gives you to your husband. There's an idea that you go from the care of your father to the care of your husband. I know this isn't very popular now, but believe me, there is something quite special about the day you leave the care of you father and mother and go under the love and care of the man you'll be with for the rest of your life.

I have to point out that you should wait not because the Catholic church told you to, but because God commaded it. If you decide not to move in because you want to please others, you're not doing yourself any good. This should come out of a heart that desires to please God.

Plus, it's statistically proven that marriages last longer if the couple didn't live together before married!

No. The Bible says that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Would you really want to put your faith in a God who changes with the times? Yikes. How could you trust that what He says is absolute truth?

I am so proud of your statement. You have presented everything perfectly and quite true. So hard for many to understand these days that The Word and Truth doesn't change to suit the world - the world changes it's interpretation to make themselves feel better about what they are doing in their lives.

If one reads the scripture long enough without the correct intentions in the heart, anything can appear to be truth. Adam and Eve sound familiar? Like a child, "mom didn't say not too...." but that still doesn't make it right.

If one is a Christian and seeks the Truth and wants to please God rather than the flesh - the answer to all of this is obvious.

Very well put, indeed.

Kimmiey

Old 04-08-2007, 05:31 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,742,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsjoe View Post
I am curious to get everyones opinion on this issue. I am a Catholic and always believed in getting married then living together. Now, I do not follow all the Catholic beliefs. I am FOR birth controll pills, if you do not want children and want to enjoy a physical relationship and I am NOT a virgin. Therefore, I am not some prude who sticks to it all. Just always wanted to be married before living together. Being Catholic may or may not have anything to do with that. I know the times have changed and that is common.

I am trying to convince my significant other that I need to see a ring first!

What do you think???
It sounds you are making up your own rules and following your religion only happens when you see fit. I'm not judging and I'm not religious but doesn't that give him mixed signals? Ok, I'll have sex even though it's against my religion but I want a ring because my religion says so? If you didn't have sex with him you might have a better argument.

If your giving him an ultimatum, that's a bad way to start a life together. He should want to and be ready to give you a ring not be pressured into it. Or why don't you ask him to marry you? Then go buy the ring together, if he says yes.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Well Put Rapture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
It sounds you are making up your own rules and following your religion only happens when you see fit. I'm not judging and I'm not religious but doesn't that give him mixed signals? Ok, I'll have sex even though it's against my religion but I want a ring because my religion says so? If you didn't have sex with him you might have a better argument.

If your giving him an ultimatum, that's a bad way to start a life together. He should want to and be ready to give you a ring not be pressured into it. Or why don't you ask him to marry you? Then go buy the ring together, if he says yes.
This is true. If you give him an ultimatum it is a bad start. And a stong woman should stand by her belief. If he truly loves you he will be patient and respect your beliefs. But, don't let religion dictate to you on what to do either. Follow your heart and trust in God for guidance, not man.
Oh, believe it or not, I'm a man saying this.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:52 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,438,106 times
Quote:
Ok, yes they are correct, to a piont. But, in the Bible men were aloud to have as many wives as they wanted . And, in the Bible they didn't have weddings, that's a man made thing of today's standards. All they had to do is basically say I'll marry you. In Biblical time a minister wasn't always available way out in the boondocks. Usually the father of the bride to be, just simply handed her over with some dowery to a fella and she was married. Besides that, all wedding licenses are for so the government can keep tabs on us.
I know of a couple that never got married over fifty years ago, but had several childeren and lots of grand kids. And both died in they're early 80's. So did they live in sin? I think not. They raised the kids in a good Christian home, full of love and respect for each other. And, the Mother and children had the Fathers last name.
Live your life the best way you know how, respect others, love all and don't sit there pointing your finger at others people because they're not living their lives the way you think they should be. Remember, when you judge other, so you shell be judged. If it makes you happy forget what others have to say.
Well, I believe marriage is a covenent before God. Did your friend have a ceremony or anything? The paper doesn't hold me to my husband, but my vow before God does. It sounds to me that your friend did have a marriage.

As far as poligamy in the Old Testament, just because they did it doesn't mean that God intended for it to happen. In fact, Genesis 2:24 states that He intended for one man and one woman to join together. You've brought up an interesting point that I'd like to investigate a little further. Thanks for the prompt!

Old 04-08-2007, 07:58 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,285,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post

How do we know that? The Bible was written by men, and interpreted hundreds of years later by the same church that said Mary M. was a prostitute. And now they are the same ones that are retracting that same statement . And, the same Bible that your reading today was interpreted by a religious group that started the Balkan wars 500 years ago, the Catholic church. Oh, Back in those days run by all men, and today as well.
So, your saying that one of God's favorite men (Job) was in trouble with him (God) for having many wives, when all of his problems started during his trials and tribulations. Then why did he get it all back in ten fold? FROM GOD. They're starting to find out that a lot of books are missing from the Bible. Now I wonder why they might have done that? Is it so that they may be able to control the masses, or, maybe it's because some churches still beleive in teaching the scare tactic that God is a wrathful sort. A tactic still used to scare people.
Me, I would rather beleive that God is a loving, caring and nurturing Father who tends to his flock so that we may love him, not fear him. And like a good sheppard he knows all of our needs, not wants, but needs and what we need to do is just ask him for strength and guidance. Not all of the wailing, crying and begging that so many religions teach their followers to do. Oh, there is that scare tactic again.
I believe the Bible was inspired by God so it came from Him. I don't believe anything was left out. Everything is there that we need.
I also believe God is a loving caring and nurturing Father and scare tactics are wrong, Jesus never used them.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Cool Good to hear

I'm glad to see that you stand your ground well . This is my point all in a nutshell.
We all have our own ways in interpreting the Bible. For one group to stand there and say that another group is wrong, well who is truly at fault.
My Father use to say that Religion is man's way to bastardize the Bible to suit his own purpose. And, that the Bible should be read with an open mind and heart. Not with a hardin heart with blinders on. Just because one person interprets the Bible one way doesn't make it iron clad. But yet, that same person isn't wrong either. He or she just believes in it, in their own way.
And please don't get me wrong, I believe that all religions have good points and all have bad points. As for me, I'm nondenominational, I only believe in what God in trying to tell me in his book.
I had an accident two years ago the lift me a badly mangled hand. For a long time I had blamed myself for the injury. With questions like, what did I do wrong? Did I upset God? Am I a bad person who deserved this tragedy? Well, the only aswer I found after my wonderful Wife gave a book to read was. I HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG, accidents just happen. And I knew then that all God wanted from me was to simply say, please give me a little strength Lord. With that little nudge from Him, I made it through alright. With that and a lot of hard work on my behalf, and a major amount of support from my Darling Wife.If you ever want a great book to read, pick up, WHY DO BAD THING HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE by Harold Kushner.
I like to tell people that it was a bowling accident when they enquire on how it happened. Since my ring and middle fingers got ripped off.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Well, I believe marriage is a covenent before God. Did your friend have a ceremony or anything? The paper doesn't hold me to my husband, but my vow before God does. It sounds to me that your friend did have a marriage.

As far as poligamy in the Old Testament, just because they did it doesn't mean that God intended for it to happen. In fact, Genesis 2:24 states that He intended for one man and one woman to join together. You've brought up an interesting point that I'd like to investigate a little further. Thanks for the prompt!
No, as far as I know, they had no ceremony, but that they felt that they were meant to be with each other. God and love was their bond. And you are welcome for the prompt. I like to be open minded when it comes to the Bible. And, I don't think that the Bible is truly complete. Remember, hundreds of years passed before they found the Lost Sea Scrolls and what we call the completed Bible today. I think that women has a bigger part in it then we are being told. Besides that, who is more nurturing than a woman.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,285,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I'm glad to see that you stand your ground well . This is my point all in a nutshell.
We all have our own ways in interpreting the Bible. For one group to stand there and say that another group is wrong, well who is truly at fault.
My Father use to say that Religion is man's way to bastardize the Bible to suit his own purpose. And, that the Bible should be read with an open mind and heart. Not with a hardin heart with blinders on. Just because one person interprets the Bible one way doesn't make it iron clad. But yet, that same person isn't wrong either. He or she just believes in it, in their own way.
And please don't get me wrong, I believe that all religions have good points and all have bad points. As for me, I'm nondenominational, I only believe in what God in trying to tell me in his book.
I had an accident two years ago the lift me a badly mangled hand. For a long time I had blamed myself for the injury. With questions like, what did I do wrong? Did I upset God? Am I a bad person who deserved this tragedy? Well, the only aswer I found after my wonderful Wife gave a book to read was. I HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG, accidents just happen. And I knew then that all God wanted from me was to simply say, please give me a little strength Lord. With that little nudge from Him, I made it through alright. With that and a lot of hard work on my behalf, and a major amount of support from my Darling Wife.If you ever want a great book to read, pick up, WHY DO BAD THING HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE by Harold Kushner.
I like to tell people that it was a bowling accident when they enquire on how it happened. Since my ring and middle fingers got ripped off.
I am so sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad you're making it through. It's so nice to see you give credit to your wife. Sometimes bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people, God says the rain falls on the just and the unjust. But I believe Romans 8:28"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them".
Don't ever stop trusting God!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships