Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times

Advertisements

As I get older, I am realizing many of the things I held true about life and myself are just not applicable any longer.

My views were once Utopian in nature and now they have become skewed over time and experience.

Some of my political views have changed, parenting methods and ideas have changed, my methods in dealing with others has changed and I have gained tolerance for some things and lost patience with others.

What has changed in your lives?

Last edited by mrstewart; 09-16-2008 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 07:22 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
I want fewer material goods now but I want more friends and love. I think everyone (well, women at least) go thru a period of life when they want to aquire. They want the big house, the big wardrobe, the big jewelry, the big vacation, etc. Keeping up with the Jones' becomes a sport.

I am now in the "unload" mode. I have shed excess furniture, too many "things", too many toxic "friends". Now I value great and healthy friends, my family and my lifestyle. Still, I had fun going thru the other phases. I just outgrew them.

Most importantly, I have found peace within. Oh, and it helps to have a great, fun partner.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:46 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
Wait until age 28 or 30, it REALLY takes a turn....
You are solidly a different person then

I think I would be more my "old self" if I didn't have kids, I'd say when you have kids to have to (hopefully) put on hold 80% of your life and self...and become 100% a parent

Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I want fewer material goods now but I want more friends and love. I think everyone (well, women at least) go thru a period of life when they want to aquire. They want the big house, the big wardrobe, the big jewelry, the big vacation, etc. Keeping up with the Jones' becomes a sport.

I am now in the "unload" mode. I have shed excess furniture, too many "things", too many toxic "friends". Now I value great and healthy friends, my family and my lifestyle. Still, I had fun going thru the other phases. I just outgrew them.

Most importantly, I have found peace within. Oh, and it helps to have a great, fun partner.

I never went through that phase. I have always been thrifty and "things" were never important to me. Security is. I know have security that I didn't have when I was younger so I have absolutely no stress and a very good life.

When I was younger, in my 20's, I was very naive and trusting. I've learned a lot over the years. Now I am almost 42 and I am much more self confident, not so trusting, very self sufficient(I have learned many useful and practical things from my husband), and I don't worry about pleasing everyone anymore. I used to have a very thin skin. Now I realize there are many kinds of people and we don't all always agree and that's ok.

I'm still very friendly and very outgoing but I don't let too many people get close. My husband is my best friend.

Simply put, I love me now and I am extremely happy.

Lisa

Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
i have become much less shy, i have changed my world views, but most of all, i have figured out myself.
i thought i knew who i was when i was 18. i thought i knew what my values were. but i realize i didnt know anything. i needed the past 10-12 years to figure me out--and so far i have. i have a feeling though, that i have a lot more to learn. in the next 10 years i could feel the same about myself now, as i do about myself when i was 20.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:52 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I think at 22, I was way more idealistic than today. In fact, I've become deeply suspicious of idealistic people for the reason that they tend to follow a fairly inflexible doctrine of living, rather than approach situations and people on a case-by-case basis. As a result, they tend to reject people based on their flaws rather than look past the flaws to their unique qualities. Also, idealistic people tend to wind up disappointed and embittered because the world doesn't work according to the Grand Plan. Plus, as the 20th Century showed us, serious people account for most of the misery in the world.

At the same time, at the risk of sounding contradictory, I've become a much more embracing person. I like to think that my friends now come from almost all walks of life. I've learned that all people are interesting to talk to, even the accountants--for their inner lives, their secret desires and fears are what make them fascinating. I've learned that it's not all about me all the damned time, or even part of the time (Which, quite frankly, is a pretty good reason to have children). And the surest way to engage somebody is to think about them rather than yourself.

Possessions mostly don't make your life better. They are the rocks in life that weigh you down, and they wind up owning you in the end. Don't get me wrong. We live in a nice house in a nice part of town. But we don't own the newest, latest, and greatest, chiefly due to the fact that we like having money left over at the end of the day. Aside from the love of your spouse, children, family, and friends, money in the bank is a lot better guarantee of happiness than the newest sports car.

The old cliches, I find, hold true. Enjoy the simple thing. Don't want what you don't have. And have a plan for your life, even though God laughs at people who make plans. Optimism is a heck of a lot more fun than pessimism. And there's nothing worse a person enjoying material comfort who whines about his or her life. Fly to the Sudan or even do some charity work in your own town. When you do, you'll stop complaining about your own life, because you really don't have problems.

Don't expect perfection, even in yourself. It is an illusion and will drive you insane. Exercise kindness to others, even when you don't feel like it. Even counter help at McDonalds deserve to be treated like human beings, not just the providers of food.

Smile a lot. Remember that every day is beautiful. After all, you woke up alike, didn't you?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:11 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
I soured. Yes , I soured.
When I was 22 , already I wasn't expecting that much of life back then, and was probably doing more stupid things like get drunk or speeding.
But there was this wonderful thing, I was young and healthy, and without even knowing it, I embraced the world.
30 years later, sad to say, I'm much more cynical and weary...mentally weary.
I feel up to now I didn't live my life up to the (little) expectations I had (private&professionnal), and my time is starting to run out.
Sad, my friends, but life is not "a garden of roses"for everyone!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think at 22, I was way more idealistic than today. In fact, I've become deeply suspicious of idealistic people for the reason that they tend to follow a fairly inflexible doctrine of living, rather than approach situations and people on a case-by-case basis. As a result, they tend to reject people based on their flaws rather than look past the flaws to their unique qualities. Also, idealistic people tend to wind up disappointed and embittered because the world doesn't work according to the Grand Plan. Plus, as the 20th Century showed us, serious people account for most of the misery in the world.

At the same time, at the risk of sounding contradictory, I've become a much more embracing person. I like to think that my friends now come from almost all walks of life. I've learned that all people are interesting to talk to, even the accountants--for their inner lives, their secret desires and fears are what make them fascinating. I've learned that it's not all about me all the damned time, or even part of the time (Which, quite frankly, is a pretty good reason to have children). And the surest way to engage somebody is to think about them rather than yourself.

Possessions mostly don't make your life better. They are the rocks in life that weigh you down, and they wind up owning you in the end. Don't get me wrong. We live in a nice house in a nice part of town. But we don't own the newest, latest, and greatest, chiefly due to the fact that we like having money left over at the end of the day. Aside from the love of your spouse, children, family, and friends, money in the bank is a lot better guarantee of happiness than the newest sports car.

The old cliches, I find, hold true. Enjoy the simple thing. Don't want what you don't have. And have a plan for your life, even though God laughs at people who make plans. Optimism is a heck of a lot more fun than pessimism. And there's nothing worse a person enjoying material comfort who whines about his or her life. Fly to the Sudan or even do some charity work in your own town. When you do, you'll stop complaining about your own life, because you really don't have problems.

Don't expect perfection, even in yourself. It is an illusion and will drive you insane. Exercise kindness to others, even when you don't feel like it. Even counter help at McDonalds deserve to be treated like human beings, not just the providers of food.

Smile a lot. Remember that every day is beautiful. After all, you woke up alike, didn't you?

I was kidding about being 22!! I wish! I need to write "Sarcasm" next to that quote

I am pushing 40 and have 6 kids...22 would be nice

Old 09-16-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I soured. Yes , I soured.
When I was 22 , already I wasn't expecting that much of life back then, and was probably doing more stupid things like get drunk or speeding.
But there was this wonderful thing, I was young and healthy, and without even knowing it, I embraced the world.
30 years later, sad to say, I'm much more cynical and weary...mentally weary.
I feel up to now I didn't live my life up to the (little) expectations I had (private&professionnal), and my time is starting to run out.
Sad, my friends, but life is not "a garden of roses"for everyone!
I was just kidding about being 22! Wishful thinking

Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
I used to feel the 'need' to be in relationships, but every time its always been how the guy was charming, nice, at first, but once he has you wrapped around his finger, it all changes. At least, thats how its always been.
But in my single life its far more enjoyable, I can come and go anywhere anytime, at my own pace, without no one to answer to, among other things. Heck yea, Ive changed, but experience leads a person to do so.

Last edited by country pride; 09-16-2008 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships