U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-26-2008, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,238 posts, read 25,760,139 times
Reputation: 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
So what you REALLY are advocating is robbing the child of the food and other necessities he needs, just to teach the mother a lesson. Great...

As much as you apparently don't want to believe it - it takes TWO to tango and TWO to create a life. Those TWO are then responsible for and to that life. Guess this is just a concept only a real man would understand

And when child support goes directly to the child, you'll have a point. Instead, the mother uses that money to pay rent, or buy a new car, or buy herself new clothes. If you pay out money, you can't guarantee that it goes directly to the child. If you think child support is necessary, it should go into a trust for the child to draw from when they turn 18.

It does take two to tango, but there isn't a risk of the man getting pregnant. IF the man were the one getting pregnant, it would be HIS responsibility, and not hers...because he's the one with something to lose.

 
Old 09-26-2008, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,238 posts, read 25,760,139 times
Reputation: 10554
Ivorytickler,

he doesn't risk getting pregnant, so the onus is on HER.
 
Old 09-26-2008, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Spicewood
3,817 posts, read 3,390,536 times
Reputation: 5629
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And when child support goes directly to the child, you'll have a point. Instead, the mother uses that money to pay rent, or buy a new car, or buy herself new clothes. If you pay out money, you can't guarantee that it goes directly to the child. If you think child support is necessary, it should go into a trust for the child to draw from when they turn 18.

It does take two to tango, but there isn't a risk of the man getting pregnant. IF the man were the one getting pregnant, it would be HIS responsibility, and not hers...because he's the one with something to lose.
Ok, I'll give you the mother buying herself clothes with the money but how can you think a home and transpertation don't benefit the child? A child needs a roof over their head and the kid needs to get to school and other possible places like the doctor when they are sick.
 
Old 09-26-2008, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,238 posts, read 25,760,139 times
Reputation: 10554
There are other forms of transportation...and if the mother's off at work, how is she available to provide transportation anyhow? The implication was a NEW car, by the way, but one could walk or take the bus, or a taxi, etc. Get a ride from a friend...there are resources that will provide the "needy" with transportation assistance.

When I injured my ankle at work, they PAID for me to be driven to the city where the doctor looked at it, both times. That's how I know it's available. I didn't own a car. In fact, I didn't even get a license until I was 28, and cars don't ever last long. They always have some sort of mechanical failure, so it doesn't behoove me to own a car. It is better for me to walk or use some other sort of transportation.

In fact, I was riding in a car with a person, and it hit a wet spot, slewed into a ditch and flipped. So me and cars are not good friends with each other.
 
Old 09-26-2008, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,846 posts, read 52,377,454 times
Reputation: 22738
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If you think child support is necessary, it should go into a trust for the child to draw from when they turn 18.
Not that I have any skin in this issue, but the child needs to be fed and clothed to make it to 18.
 
Old 09-26-2008, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Spicewood
3,817 posts, read 3,390,536 times
Reputation: 5629
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There are other forms of transportation...and if the mother's off at work, how is she available to provide transportation anyhow? The implication was a NEW car, by the way, but one could walk or take the bus, or a taxi, etc. Get a ride from a friend...there are resources that will provide the "needy" with transportation assistance.

When I injured my ankle at work, they PAID for me to be driven to the city where the doctor looked at it, both times. That's how I know it's available. I didn't own a car. In fact, I didn't even get a license until I was 28, and cars don't ever last long. They always have some sort of mechanical failure, so it doesn't behoove me to own a car. It is better for me to walk or use some other sort of transportation.

In fact, I was riding in a car with a person, and it hit a wet spot, slewed into a ditch and flipped. So me and cars are not good friends with each other.
I'm glad these things are available to you but they are not available everywhere. Many small towns don't have a bus system and not everyone lives close enough to a school or a hospital to walk. And not everyone wants their friends to constantly be bumming rides from them. I'm not even sure if taxi services are available everywhere. So I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I hate driving myself because of all the wrecks I've been in but I still know I need a car to take my kids to school, the doctor, the library, the park and to go buy groceries.
 
Old 09-26-2008, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,238 posts, read 25,760,139 times
Reputation: 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not that I have any skin in this issue, but the child needs to be fed and clothed to make it to 18.
Sure does, and I feed two people and house them on my salary alone.

I've lost some weight, and wanted to get some clothes to fit...so we went to goodwill to find perfectly serviceable pants...just two pairs, for a week's worth of work.
 
Old 09-26-2008, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Spicewood
3,817 posts, read 3,390,536 times
Reputation: 5629
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not that I have any skin in this issue, but the child needs to be fed and clothed to make it to 18.
You mean you can't starve them and send them out naked? D*mn buying that pesky food with child support!
 
Old 09-26-2008, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,477 posts, read 26,922,922 times
Reputation: 8586
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
In this day and age marriage is a waste of time. Everyone cheats on everyone and the only people who are getting married is for the money. All the other guys tell me the same thing - don't get married it is a waste of time. "If the girl really loves you then she won't care if you are married or not." Makes perfect sense to me.

I won't bother getting married. Single and ready to mingle forever!
With the single exception of children, I agree.
 
Old 09-26-2008, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,238 posts, read 25,760,139 times
Reputation: 10554
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I'm glad these things are available to you but they are not available everywhere. Many small towns don't have a bus system and not everyone lives close enough to a school or a hospital to walk. And not everyone wants their friends to constantly be bumming rides from them. I'm not even sure if taxi services are available everywhere. So I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I hate driving myself because of all the wrecks I've been in but I still know I need a car to take my kids to school, the doctor, the library, the park and to go buy groceries.
Taxis ARE available pretty much everywhere. Even small towns. They might not be available 24 hours a day, but in an emergency, they do have ambulances.

I walk, even when something is five or six miles away. I've even walked 20 miles before. Took me a while, but I did get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top