U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 PM

3,843 posts, read 8,021,811 times
Default Marriage? Why bother? It is a waste of time.

In this day and age marriage is a waste of time. Everyone cheats on everyone and the only people who are getting married is for the money. All the other guys tell me the same thing - don't get married it is a waste of time. "If the girl really loves you then she won't care if you are married or not." Makes perfect sense to me.

I won't bother getting married. Single and ready to mingle forever!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:56 PM

1,746 posts, read 1,499,549 times
I have been thinking about this one a lot lately. I think marriage used to be a good idea. My parents and grandparents have been married a long time, and though they have had their little fights, they basically respect each other and get along. Now it seems, as you say, everyone is cheating or thinking of it, there is disrespect everywhere, and people using people for money. I still want to get married ideally but I don't see it happening for me. It is simply not likely to end up being healthy for someone youngish. I think most people are selfish now and that is the whole problem.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:39 AM

4,892 posts, read 11,700,464 times
do you remember the show "earth 2"? it was only on for 1 season, but it stuck with me for many reasons--one of them being Antonio Sabato jr. --but i digress.
one of the things on the show that struck me was the "marriage contracts"
there was a couple that was at the end of their marriage contract and debating on wether or not they would renew it. you see they then (in the future) had contracts lasting only 5 years. if after the 5, you decded you were willing to renew--you could--for another 5. if you didnt want to renew, you were just able to let it expire and go on with your life--no harm, no foul.
maybe we are just now starting to "evolve" on this marriage thing.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:03 AM

3,487 posts, read 4,983,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
In this day and age marriage is a waste of time. Everyone cheats on everyone and the only people who are getting married is for the money. All the other guys tell me the same thing - don't get married it is a waste of time. "If the girl really loves you then she won't care if you are married or not." Makes perfect sense to me.

It sounds like you are confusing the issues here. A girl really loves you and is willing to stay with you despite not being married (which works for some but definitely not all women), is a whole different ball game from someone who just wants to 'stay single and mingle'.

Nothing much wrong with either approach as long as you are upfront about it, but a committed relationship is a committed relationship whether there is a marriage or not.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:48 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,289,649 times
My parents were married 62 years and had a wonderful marriage. Just because many don't work out is not a reason not to be committed to someone. It is a time to get up in front of God and your friends and family and pledge yourself to another person. And really, especailly for the women, it legally protects her if the husband leaves. Just imagine as a women with no rights and off the guy goes and leaves you high and dry with little children. There are reasons for all of this...

Old 09-17-2008, 05:52 AM

3,721 posts, read 1,166,886 times
The happily married couple I know are the ones that keep me from getting completely jaded.

Last edited by Raggy dee Ann; 09-17-2008 at 06:12 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 06:08 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,490,890 times
As a woman, I guess I've been thinking about this recently too. My fiance and I have been together for three years, been engaged a year in June and honestly? He never wanted to get married. His parents divorced when he was in college and I think the experience left a bad taste in his mouth. After he met me though, I think he began to think differently and realized that marriage was still important to me but then I'm second guessing myself, am I asking too much of him? I see us being together for good but I don't want him doing something that later he will regret. So, I guess my point being, I think some marriages today aren't taken seriously and therefore people just get divorced and think it's not a big deal. Marriage certainly isn't the covenant it once used to be and to me that's sad.
I still believe in marriage though and unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I think society today still doesn't completely accept "life partners" unless they are married and have that certificate saying so.
I mean, if marriage is going down the tubes as bad as everyone is saying, why then haven't the insurance companies converted their beliefs that hey, if you want to be with your partner for life but don't want to be married legally, we will still accept the addition to your insurance. Why can't standards be put in place say for example, a medical insurance company such as BCBS says ok, if you don't want to be married but you want to add your SO to your policy, we require that you live as man and wife for a set amount of time and share a certain amount of responsibility but see, you don't see this happening and that's why I say that society still does not accept all common law marriage situations.
Just my rambling morning thoughts...

Old 09-17-2008, 06:09 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,490,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
My parents were married 62 years and had a wonderful marriage. Just because many don't work out is not a reason not to be committed to someone. It is a time to get up in front of God and your friends and family and pledge yourself to another person. And really, especailly for the women, it legally protects her if the husband leaves. Just imagine as a women with no rights and off the guy goes and leaves you high and dry with little children. There are reasons for all of this...
I agree with this thought too.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:13 AM

309 posts, read 659,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post

Psych 101 says that you see in others what you are in yourself. You are so not a catch. Marriage is what you make of it. If you are a cheat and a louse, you will have a bad marriage.

Your friends are correct. You shouldnt get married. At least not until you grow up.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:15 AM

3,721 posts, read 1,166,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post

Remember not everyone has the need to get up infront of god and friends and some of us are independent enough (especially if thre are no kids) to not need support from a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships