U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:26 AM

6,876 posts, read 11,645,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

As a public service, I propose that we collectively come up with some common sense rules of life that apply to 80% of the posts on this board. Everybody can play. I'll start the ball rolling:
I'm in a contrary mood this morning. Part of the fun of visiting this particular forum are the crazy things people get themselves into. If they didn't have issues, then we wouldn't be here to throw in our two cents. About half the time you can guess what the answer/advice should be just by reading the title of the post: "should I date a man with five kids?" No. "should I give him another chance?" No.
"When is it time to...." ASAP, of course.

People ask for help here because they're lonely and isolated. If their post is idiotic, so what? Most of the regulars have real lives and enjoy the goofiness of this particular forum enough to make it a part of our lives.

So yes, you're right, most of us have good common sense. But this forum is really more for folks who don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 07:32 AM

3,721 posts, read 1,166,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
People ask for help here because they're lonely and isolated. If their post is idiotic, so what?
Now I feel like an utter a s s for my response earlier in the thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:23 AM

12,890 posts, read 12,274,494 times
I think I'll just stay on the "idiots" side - when we post about a problem of ours, it isn't idiotic to us. We can't help that we don't have all those fancy brains and life experience and common sense and good ol' fashioned luck - we're just trying to get by on the hand we've been dealt.

If that provides entertainment for y'all, so be it - but please be decent enough to take us seriously, at least until we prove without a doubt that we're Neanderthals.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I think I'll just stay on the "idiots" side - when we post about a problem of ours, it isn't idiotic to us. We can't help that we don't have all those fancy brains and life experience and common sense and good ol' fashioned luck - we're just trying to get by on the hand we've been dealt.

If that provides entertainment for y'all, so be it - but please be decent enough to take us seriously, at least until we prove without a doubt that we're Neanderthals.
Honey buns, you have more than enough brains for any of us to handle. You're part of what we love about coming here. And levity is often the right tack to take when people need a boost.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Honey buns, you have more than enough brains for any of us to handle. You're part of what we love about coming here. And levity is often the right tack to take when people need a boost.
Thank you, but levity is a wee bit different than ridicule. It's a fine line - I've crossed it unknowingly many times - and like the pebble in the pond, our small actions can have major repercussions.

OK, enough with this serious schmaltz - BUY A CLUE, YOU JERKS!!!

Old 09-20-2008, 03:18 PM

Maybe someone should post a sticky: "if you're feeling suicidal, don't post here."

Old 09-20-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Maybe someone should post a sticky: "if you're feeling suicidal, don't post here."
Wasn't there a Netcast where someone committed suicide?

Old 09-20-2008, 05:12 PM

1,463 posts, read 2,289,649 times
Actually that list was pretty good! But you know you just can't speed up maturity.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:16 PM

355 posts, read 901,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post

I agree.

If we all knew what to do to avoid being "idiots", I guess this entire forum would serve absolutely no purpose. Plus, I can't see how squandering time on a message board is much better than watching tv...except that I have less of a chance getting insulted watching tv than I do asking for advice.

Maybe this is just the blind leading the blind.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Actually that list was pretty good! But you know you just can't speed up maturity.
I agreed with the list two days ago and decided to flip flop on it this morning. Woman's prerogative to change her mind?

We all ask ourselves why we're here and why we don't walk away from it. Yes, we are all idiots on one level or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships