U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 04:50 AM

9 posts, read 15,681 times

Advertisements

I am a 33 year old gay man. I have met this NY guy (through the internet) four months ago and I'm so into him. I live in California and I have invited him over here. We are both looking forwards to see each other in real life. I have never fallen in love with someone through the internet before and I am a bit nervous. When he comes here, what should I do? How should I treat him? I just want to kiss this guy when I look at the pictures. The best would be to take it slow. How should I greet him when he arrives at the airport? hug? just wish him welcome? We should go out and dine. Should we do that every day?
What should I do if he is not interested (he seems to be now)? What if it all ends in quarrels? Any romantic tips?
I'm so nervous it will all go wrong.

And..... I want dating tips. Not homophobic comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 05:35 AM

9,043 posts, read 18,210,862 times
Why not give him a big hug when you see him? If you've been communicating for 4 months, then you are friends, after all. Just be prepared that some things about him may be different, and he'll feel the same.

Don't over analyze your new relationship. Let things happen, fast or slow, as naturally as they can. Try to stay objective, talk, be yourself, and don't worry.

As far as what you should do, definitely go out from time to time and show him around. But cooking together is such a great way to get to know someone. Do a little of both.

And if you're in doubt, just ask him.

Have fun.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:12 AM

7,002 posts, read 17,442,146 times
You'll never know until you take the initiative and go ahead. Just take your time, show him you're interested and give him his space.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:03 AM

4,899 posts, read 15,642,403 times
i would say a hug is appropriate. i wouldn't go out for every meal, but 2-3 times.
and go out and do something fun!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:30 AM

3,124 posts, read 3,822,008 times
Keep in mind, you may not feel the "click" when you meet him in person. However..

I lived in RI when I met someone online from FL. He flew up to meet me. I met him at the bottom of the escalator in the airport with a small, casual bouquet of flowers and hugged him and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

We were together for a year.

Until he met someone else who lived across the country online.

But I'm not bitter

Good Luck, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:37 AM

8,181 posts, read 15,483,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
I am a 33 year old gay man. I have met this NY guy (through the internet) four months ago and I'm so into him. I live in California and I have invited him over here. We are both looking forwards to see each other in real life. I have never fallen in love with someone through the internet before and I am a bit nervous. When he comes here, what should I do? How should I treat him? I just want to kiss this guy when I look at the pictures. The best would be to take it slow. How should I greet him when he arrives at the airport? hug? just wish him welcome? We should go out and dine. Should we do that every day?
What should I do if he is not interested (he seems to be now)? What if it all ends in quarrels? Any romantic tips?

Wow...1st meeting!! Aren't they fun!! NOT..

I'd approach with a handshake and let nature take it's course from there.

If you've been talking to him for this long you should know some of his likes and dislikes.

If it's been a stressfull trip, go back to your place so he can de-stress.
Make sure you have his favorite beverage and snacks on hand. That says alot.

Now you didn't say if he was planning to stay with you or a hotel.
If it's with you I would suggest knowing where the closest hotel is just in case things don't go as planned.

Go out to eat the 1st night and find a quiet place to talk. The rest of your time together should just go naturally from there.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:43 AM

15,492 posts, read 34,126,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashman View Post

I think you should give him a LOBOTOMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:20 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,242,570 times
Where his he planning on staying? You may want to opt for him "not" to stay with you for the first night or so. Since you invited him out there, paying the hotel bill would be appropriate. This way, you can get to know him and when its time for him to go to the hotel, then you have a "breather" to reflect. When you are with someone for 24/7 you get all caught up in the moment, and you dont really sit back and look at the whole picture. Good Luck to you, let us know how you make out.
FYI, i met my husband online. We've talked online for over a year or more, then went to telephone conversations for another year and then met in person. We've been together 6 years now...so it can work.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:24 PM

754 posts, read 1,233,713 times
My advice would be to take your head out of the clouds!!! He's a man, not Prince Charming. You already have sooo many expectations about this man that it may be impossible for anyone to be as "wonderful" as he is in your fantasy. So don't set him up for failure and climb down off of cloud 9. He may be wonderful in his own right but you'll have to have a clear head to see it.

Also, a word of caution make sure that you introduce him to your friends as a safety precaution and have them take a picture of him.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:30 PM

16,227 posts, read 20,961,877 times
I think that you need to take a deep breath, calm down, and just be yourself! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships