Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 12:45 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times

Advertisements

Living in mom's basement...um...I dont think "smarts" is why he cant find a girl. Some girl is going to have to accept that she is dating a basement dweller from mom's house..I think she should be accepted for being of avg intelligence...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 12:51 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Living in mom's basement...um...I dont think "smarts" is why he cant find a girl. Some girl is going to have to accept that she is dating a basement dweller from mom's house..I think she should be accepted for being of avg intelligence...

What?

He said in a couple posts that he lives in his own nice condo. I need to find it. . .

It was in a couple of the threads where he was bragging about what he has. I know, that is like 90% of them, so this is not going to be an easy quest.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:08 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,581 times
Found. . .

Post #129
How many of you will never,ever get married and have brats?

Post #83
How many of you will never,ever get married and have brats?

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 11-29-2008 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Hunting and updating

Old 11-29-2008, 01:25 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Was_A_Phoenix View Post
OA 5599,

Terman's cutoff for genius is IQ 145. Seeing as how IQ tests are not very accurate around that level, and you missed the cutoff by only one point, it is quite possible that you ARE a genius, as your IQ could easily be above 145. Furthermore, we will tend to get different scores on different tests. If you took a different test you might get a higher score. For people who are very gifted, IQ test scores often fluctuate wildly between one test and another - 30 ro 40 points. This is because we are so rare that it is difficult to write accurate tests for us. Then there are tons of other factors - if you get an extra hour of sleep before taking the same test over, you might get a boost in IQ points that way. If you were stressed out the day that you took your test, your IQ score could be too low to reflect how you really are.

You cannot say with any certainty whatsoever that you are not a genius. I'd say it's extremely likely that you ARE a genius. There are other things that qualify one for the title of genius other than having a high IQ. If you can paradigm shift or re-write conceptual frameworks you are a genius by that definition. If you are extremely innovative, you are a genius by that definition. Richard Feynman was widely regarded as a genius and his IQ was 127. So, don't think that genius has been ruled out for you. It hasn't.
I had heard before that the cutoff was 145. I last took a test when I was 10, to be admitted to the gifted program at school. However, its quite possible that I've killed off a few of those IQ points since then by enjoying a few too many tasty beers....oh well, haha. I really don't think I'm a genius, as I have to study fairly hard to get decent grades. In my program at school, I'm probably in the top 1/3 or so of students, so there are always people smarter than I am around. However, the sampling is anything but random in a graduate engineering program, so I'm quite happy with being in the top 1/3, even though I was sometimes the top student in a few of my undergrad classes.

Most of my hobbies aren't typical genius-level activities...I'm pretty "normal" in that respect. I'm really into fitness, the outdoors, traveling, and I'm starting to get into cooking. I like going out drinking with my friends and being obnoxious sometimes. I don't have a lot of time to read, but when I do, it is usually non-fiction. I really like music, film, and history, but I know little about things like art and philosophy (although I would like to know more). I really enjoy intelligent conversation though....about topics like religion, politics, culture, and views of the world in general. As far as a girl goes, I'd really like one where I could carry on a in-depth, intelligent, and objective conversation on topics like that.

Last edited by OA 5599; 11-29-2008 at 01:33 PM..

Old 11-29-2008, 01:27 PM

104 posts, read 136,508 times
Ivorytickler,

"By ballpark, I'm talking a 10 point range. Married couples, in successful marriages, tend to be within 5 points. I'm willing to bet there are plenty of people within 5 points of your IQ"

Two problems:

1. IQ tests are not accurate in the IQ range I am in so I don't actually have an accurate enough idea of where my IQ is to even know which specific 10 point range to aim for. My IQ is an estimation. It could be 20 points off and I wouldn't know it.

2. If the IQ of 170 is correct for me, only 1 in 250,000 people has that IQ... So if I add the five IQ's above, and the five below, subtract the 1/3 of them that are women and the 1/3 that are crazy, the 80% or so that are totally the wrong age, and double the figure because our IQ's are inaccurate (a testing center found twice as many of us as there were supposed to be), then only approximately 1 in 67,371 people will have a resemblance to the kind of person I am looking for. That does not take other compatibility issues into account.

"Unless it's 200+ and then you'd be so far out in left field, you'd probably be in the alpha society where you'd meet plenty of others like you."

No, if my IQ was 200, then I might be the only person IN THE WORLD with that IQ. I'd be lucky to find just a handful of people within a 5 point range. I'd be even luckier if one of them was the right gender, the right age, and sane. And one of us would probably need to leave their country so we could be together.

If my IQ were over 200, I might have better luck finding a soulmate by putting SETI on my computer...

"Honestly, I'm getting the impression that the only perspective you appreciate is your own and you're lookng for a twin who happens to be female. Problem is, she will be just as miserable with you as you will be with her because both of you will be looking for the other to, constantly, feed your need to feel superior."

Um... I am female... And I don't play power games. I have lots of friends who are in my intelligence range and none of them play power games with me. Intelligence does not make you power hungry or argumentative. You are very lucky that you can go outside of your house and be understood by a neighbor or by a person in a store or someone just walking down the street. The things you love most make sense to others. The things that I love most are things that most people have never even heard of. I feel like I'm from a different planet. To find people who are like me does not feel like a power struggle. It feels like... feeling understood for the first time in my life. I am not looking for someone like me because I want someone who agrees with me all the time. I want someone like me because I want to feel understood. I want someone who can relate.

"I think you've priced yourself out of the market."

No. GENETICS has priced me out of the market. I can't change what nature gave me any more than you can. I wish I could change my standards, but it is not possible - they're INSTINCTIVE. People act like I choose to be this picky. I didn't choose it. I am stuck with it.

"You may find that once your appetatite for intellectual stimulation has been satisfied, you don't want to come home to more intellectual stimulation."

This is not about intellectual stimulation. This is about being different in hundreds of ways. Gifted people have different personalities, different neurological traits, we even have health issues because of it. We have all kinds of differences. People think intelligence is a small difference like being good at math. It is a pervasive difference, our whole neurological systems are different. Imagine if every nerve in your body was mutated to be different - it would have an effect on everything!

That's us... Neurological mutants. LITERALLY.

Joining a high IQ society will not solve my social issues like magic. For instance, the Prometheus society has an entrance requirement that's right around what I'm looking for, but it has only about 100 members. In the whole group, theoretically only about 8 of them would be sane men within 5 years of my age - and who knows how many of those are already married - or gay. Of those who are not married, most of them would probably just be incompatible. Joining a high IQ society will not fix this.

So I am using ALL strategies all at once. I am using search engines, dating sites, clubs, message boards, all kinds of things all at once.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:29 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post

No, he is not one of those guys with an incredible IQ but lacks common sense and is broke, unemployed and living in his mothers basement because he can not function in society.

Instead he is just a remarkable person.
Maybe I misunderstood the post, but I took that sentence to mean "he" is not broke, he is not unemployed, & he is not living in his mother's basement.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:43 PM

piperspal,

This isn't about superiority. It makes me feel sick that you think I am doing this because of some psychological issue where I need to feel superior. I wish people wouldn't assume that because I have a very high IQ I feel superior or that I am obsessed with superiority.

I have a high intelligence level because my nervous system is genetically mutated. I am a literal real-life mutant. I am different. Very different. I seek someone like me not because I want to feel superior but because I am so thoroughly different that almost nobody understands me.

Most people love watching television and going shopping and playing sports. I love metacognition, entelechy, memetic engineering, cognitive restructuring and paradigm shifting. These are things most people have never heard of.

What if you went to a world where no one had ever heard of football, shopping, television, gardening or any of the things you love best? How would you make friends? If you have nothing in common with the people around you, you have nothing to talk about. If people don't know anything about the things you love best, how will they understand YOU at all? How will they relate?

This is the challenge I have been given. Others have never even heard of the things I am interested in. They know nothing about them. They cannot relate. I can't just go out of the house and be human and let being human take over. I WISH I COULD. Every time I have tried that it has been a disaster... I am just too different.

This is why I use numbers and math and strategy to find people. Not because I feel that my IQ makes me superior or because no men are worthy or because I have some notion that I am better than everyone. It is because my IQ is the only thing I have that will help me find these other people who understand me.

I hope you don't think I have come here to demonstrate "superiority". I haven't.

I am just a lonely alien drifting in hoping to find another lonely alien.

True, I am NOT perfect. But is it really necessary to make an example of me in front of the whole board? You wouldn't do that to a person with a normal IQ. It is still very rude to do that to a person with a high IQ.

We have feelings, too!

Old 11-29-2008, 01:47 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Was_A_Phoenix View Post
I have a high intelligence level because my nervous system is genetically mutated. I am a literal real-life mutant. I am different. Very different. I seek someone like me not because I want to feel superior but because I am so thoroughly different that almost nobody understands me.
Most people love watching television and going shopping and playing sports. I love metacognition, entelechy, memetic engineering, cognitive restructuring and paradigm shifting. These are things most people have never heard of.
Are you Aries by any chance? That's what my astrology tells me as well. It says I generally know things most people don't know. Therefore in most social situations I tend to be 'the guy that knows odd facts'

Old 11-29-2008, 01:47 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Maybe I misunderstood the post, but I took that sentence to mean "he" is not broke, he is not unemployed, & he is not living in his mother's basement.

Totally scanned over the "not" part...lol

***blackcoffee***sipsipsips

Old 11-29-2008, 01:56 PM

Ivorytickler,

OA 5599 was not trying to blow his own horn. He was just telling me that we have something in common. He acknowledged that other people perceive an admission of high intelligence as something to become upset about. I don't think he wants to upset people. Maybe he just doesn't know how to talk about this without upsetting others. I think he tried his best. It is very difficult to talk about intelligence carefully.

"You just don't talk about what might make others uncomfortable."

If you said that to a gay person because the gay person announced "I am gay" it would be an issue of human rights. If you said "Don't talk about this!" to a black person because they announced "I am African American." then it would be an issue of racism. If you say that to a person who has a high IQ just because they have a high IQ, then this isn't a very polite way of talking to us.

A lot of people make assumptions about us. People used to assume that all black people were lazy and stupid. Now people know that this is prejudice. People now assume that everyone who gifted is domineering and wants to claim to be better than everyone and demand unfair privileges or walk on other's rights. This just isn't true. Most of the gifted people I know hate elitism. I believe in rights for everyone - even animals. I won't even squish bugs unless they attack me!

Please quit assuming that we are all jerks just because we have high IQ's. We are not all jerks and when others assume that we are all jerks it hurts our feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships