Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:11 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Really?! Then he's very successful because I would guess that only several women WILL enjoy talking about geological formations. Not that anything is wrong the said formations, but that's usually not what a compatible and warm couple feels the need to talk about at home.
I guess that should have read, capable of discussing instead of enjoy.
Errr...maybe geographical formations was a metaphor for some hot marital relations.

My friend (ahem) really didn't talk about junk like that with his wife much, he isn't THAT big of a nerd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 02:23 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I was under the impression you were married. Well, good luck with checking off the items on your spec list! Sounds like you might need it.
This thread ties in with the masculine women thread in a way. In the examples I cited, I indicated I didn't like "tomboys." The Cornell MBA lady was talking about how her legs weren't as accustomed to skiing, and proudly proclaimed "In high school, I was Joe Athlete." That was a BIG TURN-OFF. I decided "no way." And she looked a little like Marlo Thomas, with a couple of extra pounds. I guess if she looked like that and acted more traditionally feminine, she would have been spoken for.

None of the guys in grad school like the "tough chicks" either, unless they were on the wimpy side and needed the "yin and yang."

Old 09-25-2008, 02:30 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This thread ties in with the masculine women thread in a way. In the examples I cited, I indicated I didn't like "tomboys." The Cornell MBA lady was talking about how her legs weren't as accustomed to skiing, and proudly proclaimed "In high school, I was Joe Athlete." That was a BIG TURN-OFF. I decided "no way." And she looked a little like Marlo Thomas, with a couple of extra pounds. I guess if she looked like that and acted more traditionally feminine, she would have been spoken for.

None of the guys in grad school like the "tough chicks" either, unless they were on the wimpy side and needed the "yin and yang."
I don't like this type myself. I might be wrong, but it sounds like you have too many very specific items on your list...

Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
I always wanted a smarter more cultured person that still enjoys the simple things the best. However, I often find that self proclaimed "intellectuals" are nothing more members of collectivist schools of group think learned at their liberal arts college.

Basically, I want a woman who can rock my world in bed, prefers jeans and boots over heels, prefers going to the local high school football game over SATC reruns, can dress up nice for a night on the town, can enjoy the finer things in life (Nutcracker ballet during the holiday season for example), enjoys coming home to enjoy the simplicity of rural life, is ruggedly independent, trustworthy, supportive, virtuous (proverbs 31 type woman), patriotic (in the founding father's sense of the word, meaning fairly anti government), loving, and has killer motherly instincts when her children might be in danger.

Last edited by Philosophizer; 09-25-2008 at 03:04 PM..

Old 09-25-2008, 04:52 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
A friend of mine is a true genius.

No, he is not one of those guys with an incredible IQ but lacks common sense and is broke, unemployed and living in his mothers basement because he can not function in society.

Instead he is just a remarkable person. Good looking, charming and nice. He is a graduate of a Ivy League University, has had incredible career success, has traveled around the world, has incredible conversational skills and is so well read and informed.

He has it all except a lady in his life.

He meets many women but leaves the dates unsatisfied and unimpressed. He can not find a women who has the intellectual and practical skills he has. He is just so brilliant and successful, no one he meets is his equal.

Anyone here that is real bright, well informed and successful have a hard time finding an equal?
I can't...but then, I don't expect to.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:59 PM

130 posts, read 447,008 times
For me, there are 3 essential areas of connection/compatibility for a relationship: physical, intellectual, and emotional (the presence of these combine to allow a 4th kind of connection--spiritual). What's been tough is finding all 3 of those things in 1 person. And--while 2 out of 3 ain't bad (yes, quoting Meatloaf here), it also ain't enough...

I think it takes a little effort to discover all 3 of those things in someone, and you have to be CAPABLE of connecting on those levels yourself.

Having FINALLY found my SO that fits the bill in all 3 areas, I'm aware our areas manifest differently. I LOVE our differences--they help me to grow and also remind me that I have things to offer. They also let me lean on him in the areas I need to. He is in every way my equal, the person with whom I trust to partner, and I could care less whether or not he's interested in spending hours in philosophical debates, or whether or not our standardized test scores are a standard deviation apart.

I agree with CPG about the humor. That is where his intelligence manifests itself most shaply--and he cracks me up to no end!!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:23 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
A friend of mine is a true genius.

No, he is not one of those guys with an incredible IQ but lacks common sense and is broke, unemployed and living in his mothers basement because he can not function in society.

Instead he is just a remarkable person. Good looking, charming and nice. He is a graduate of a Ivy League University, has had incredible career success, has traveled around the world, has incredible conversational skills and is so well read and informed.

He has it all except a lady in his life.

He meets many women but leaves the dates unsatisfied and unimpressed. He can not find a women who has the intellectual and practical skills he has. He is just so brilliant and successful, no one he meets is his equal.

Anyone here that is real bright, well informed and successful have a hard time finding an equal?

I think you need to be proactive in helping your friend find his dream date. You are surrounded by gorgeous people 24/7, so there should be at least one in the bunch with a brain. How about one of the friends of that lady who lives across the street from you?

Old 09-25-2008, 05:41 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
I rather have a less sophisticated girl....only the basics, like she shouldn't smoke and shouldn't act too cultured a fashion (like littering on the street of acting rude in public for no reason...for example being impatient at a store and making a scene). I definitely don't need someone who can enjoy the Nutcracker with me and I don't know anyone like that. She was has to be reasonably refined in her style.

My ideal girl would barbecue in the yard with me in cuttoff jeans and a tank top, be able to appreciate Rascal Flatts music, watch 24 with me and go tailgating for football games and go to NASCAR races. Ideally she can also apprecaite Outback Steakhouse and Applebees. On the low end I probably won't someone who dropped out of high school but besides that its all based on the person. Being educated doesn't make someone a good decent person and vice versa. I know plenty of people in grad school who curse "like a sailor", openly talk about having sex when everyone can hear them and throw cigarette butts out of cars and spit on the street.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:59 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I'm smart, but don't even try to talk to me about geological formations or black holes or the fascinating equation you were thinking about today. I don't want to hear about that any more than I want to hear about a blow by blow of your golf game, or how many widgets you sold at work.
I only want you to make me laugh and make me feel cherished, or for you to tell me how special I am to you. In return, I'll take care of your feelings and make you feel as though you matter.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I rather have a less sophisticated girl....only the basics, like she shouldn't smoke and shouldn't act too cultured a fashion (like littering on the street of acting rude in public for no reason...for example being impatient at a store and making a scene). I definitely don't need someone who can enjoy the Nutcracker with me and I don't know anyone like that. She was has to be reasonably refined in her style.

My ideal girl would barbecue in the yard with me in cuttoff jeans and a tank top, be able to appreciate Rascal Flatts music, watch 24 with me and go tailgating for football games and go to NASCAR races. Ideally she can also apprecaite Outback Steakhouse and Applebees. On the low end I probably won't someone who dropped out of high school but besides that its all based on the person. Being educated doesn't make someone a good decent person and vice versa. I know plenty of people in grad school who curse "like a sailor", openly talk about having sex when everyone can hear them and throw cigarette butts out of cars and spit on the street.
Wow! Now that's some sexy stuff, right there!

Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 09-25-2008 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships