Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:48 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

I need a positive thought today. Ok, the stbx and I are finially going to mediation next week. I am happy to get this divorce rolling again so it can be over. My new bf and I are getting along great and he has been very supportive thru all this crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
I am the luckiest woman in the world. I have two next to perfect sons, they are both in happy and healthy relationships, I am more or less healthy, I have a job I love, I am financially secure (well, stay tuned on that one..the economy scares me to death), I live in a climate that suits me, and I am about to marry my best friend. How's that for positive?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:01 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,418 times
I was a guy who chased a lot of women, caught quite a few, had more one night stands than I can remember, had one fleeting relationship after another; my limit was four months. I mean it was eerie, regardless of whether I married them or not, which I did two of them, that also ended in four months. I was thirty years old and emotionally burnt out; all indications to the contrary I did not take these women lightly and did not treat them badly, I was a kid of divorce who subconsciously had no respect for marriage and no trust in long term relationships.

Then one day I walked into a clothing warehouse in L.A.'s skid row, took one look at the receptionist who looked up and over at me, noticed me, blew out a long stream of unimpressed tobacco smoke and I knew something was different. I ended up taking her to lunch, dinner, bed, and except for a tumultuous break-off here and there in the beginning due to our mutual reluctance, we have been together ever since. Two kids and ten years later I will tell you I am still surprised. It wouldn't be an overstatement to say shocked. I was a hard case. Had sworn off. No, not sex for God's sake. It has always been one of my favorite things. But I had just about accepted the idea that I could never settle down; a serial dater, but I figured it could have been worse. I coulda been a serial hater! But I was a guy who loved his mother and whose mother loved him.

Next time you're out there, out anywhere, and you see a guy/girl who you think is sexy, just go up and talk to her/him. If there is anything to build on you will know it, and if not, you will know that too. It's not true at all that there is one person for every one of us. There are thousands if not millions of them for each and every one of us. You just have to do is hook into one of them, learn to love them and like them for who they are. Then you will find that you are with a lover, a friend, a confidant, a mentor, a student, a comrade in arms, a nurse, a patient, etc., etc...

Is it perfect? No. Am I perfect? Not no, but hell no! Do I still lust after other women? Wouldn't I be a freak of nature if I said, "no"? Either that or a liar. Have I ever slipped, ever weakened? Yes. Has she? Don't know, and at this stage I wouldn't want to know. Like most men, I assume it would crush me, and I would have to sit by and watch as I destroyed the best relationship I ever had.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:09 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,238 times
THe best thing that ever happened to me - other than my children of course - is my husband. He is a truly wonderful person and much "better" than me. He's nicer and kinder and more patient than I'll ever be - and he loves me. Little ol' me!
No - he's not perfect - he throws his dirty clothes on the floor - not the hamper, hogs the remote and drinks all of the iced tea and never makes a new pitcher - but he really wants me to be happy and goes out of his way to make sure I am.
I am a very lucky woman!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:14 AM

130 posts, read 446,983 times
Four months into my relationship with my BF, I was scheduled to go in for outpatient surgery. He offered, unsolicited, to take some shorter days at work and to come stay with me in the evenings (we lived 80 miles apart at the time, and sleeping was the "risk time" during recovery). Day of surgery, things didn't go well in the pre-op so surgery was canceled--he came down to be with me anyway.

So... the positive is... my BF is a great guy who is dependable, and willing (and wants) to be there during the not-so-pretty moments! And even though I didn't need him "medically," I did need him emotionally and he was there. It's a good feeling to know that about your partner.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:20 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
My daughter is getting married two weeks from today. She is marrying a young man that has a great job, a great education, and a great future. She is level-headed and smart, and has made far far better decisions up to this point in her life than I did. She learned from my mistakes! Yay!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:23 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
I love all of the women of CD that have BIG HIPS!!!!
Don't change a thing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, we just have so much negative on this forum (understandable), let's try a thread where you mention a positive thing that has happened in your relationship(s). It could be a friendship, kids, parents....whatever. Go!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mine is that I have always gotten along well with my late wife's family and that we are close and they want me and the kids to be happy. As such, I don't feel a burden or guilt etc. from them as I start dating again.

904 posts, read 2,873,568 times
We are in a gas crisis in Western NC. Today, I found gas and filled up my car! I only had to wait through 3 other cars in front of me. I feel like I have discovered gold!

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I love all of the women of CD that have BIG HIPS!!!!
Don't change a thing!!!
Gee, you'd hate me then. I'm pretty svelte and athletic.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:25 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,359 times
A picture just fell off the wall and I can feel a breeze in the hallway, Subwoofer is working fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships