Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:19 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

Is "disappearing" on someone you are dating for maybe 2-3 times or so a disrespectful way to end it? By disappearing I mean just suddenly stopping to return any communication from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 04:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Yes, it is rude. Is there no way you can talk about the problem or issue with the person over email, instant messenger, or text message? Maybe work out a compromise with him or her?

If the person is constantly nasty, rude, very self absorbed, selfish, and you have no common interests at all then yes just disappear.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:23 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
If the person that was "disappeared on" showed stalkerish or abusive tendencies, there's NOTHING wrong with it. I've had to quit my job and move to get away from someone I ended a relationship with!

Old 09-27-2008, 04:27 PM

I agree with Kramar.

If the person is usually nice and good natured then you should have a discussion in person, over email or instant messenger to resolve differences. That is the mature way.

If the person is hurting your feelings, belittling you, or showing signs of being a toxic person, then just disappear. No problems with that at all. Take care of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If the person that was "disappeared on" showed stalkerish or abusive tendencies, there's NOTHING wrong with it. I've had to quit my job and move to get away from someone I ended a relationship with!

Old 09-27-2008, 04:36 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
It totally happened to me and I feel for you. Like poof, nothing. I finally caught up with the guy some years later and (I know boys, I'm sure you hate this) I asked him, "Was it me?" and of course he gave me some b.s. answer about how great I was blah blah. Men. By then I was happily married so honestly it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things but you know, some people just "gotta know". When he didn't give me a straight answer that time, I just let it go. Perhaps I'll never know but I guess some things should just be a mystery.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:47 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,906 times
Sometimes you can't be nice and must disappear. I had to leave quickly while my ex was away, because he kept abusing me. I left without any forwarding address, phone. I did not write or call him. I still feel guilty sometimes.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:51 PM

^ The point is that we do not know if the person is abusive or not. The OP might have some sort of anxiety with dating or an attachment anxiety.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:52 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Is "disappearing" on someone you are dating for maybe 2-3 times or so a disrespectful way to end it? By disappearing I mean just suddenly stopping to return any communication from them.
I don't think there is a concrete answer. I don't think that 2 or 3 times, especially without intimacy, is a big investment on either person's part. It's probably "easier." However, you could take the "true adult" spin on it and have "the discussion."

The problem with the discussion is that (1) the other person will ask you to reconsider or "negotiate," or (2) they will CRY which can be controlling and has the opposite effect on me....goodbye! (I have heard that there are policemen who will "throw the book" at women who cry when pulled over for a traffic infraction).

Old 09-27-2008, 04:54 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Okay a very stupid and off-topic question. Is it just coincidence or are Artsyguy and Artsywoman somehow related?

Old 09-27-2008, 04:55 PM

Robert dear,

That is the point of having a discussion. A conversation is a two way street not one sided. A discussion is to talk about differences and resolve differences. Let's be mature adults now. Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't think there is a concrete answer. I don't think that 2 or 3 times, especially without intimacy, is a big investment on either person's part. It's probably "easier." However, you could take the "true adult" spin on it and have "the discussion."

The problem with the discussion is that (1) the other person will ask you to reconsider or "negotiate," or (2) they will CRY which can be controlling and has the opposite effect on me....goodbye! (I have heard that there are policemen who will "throw the book" at women who cry when pulled over for a traffic infraction).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships