Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:13 PM

111 posts, read 353,679 times

Advertisements

First, a little background. I've always been attracted to older men for reasons unknown to me. I don't know why, I just am. I guess I'm an anomaly, or something, but I don't see the big deal some people make out of it. My family doesn't care as long as my current guy treats me like he should. I don't care if other people think I'm wierd, but I was curious as to the perspective of other, more normal people; so, is age just a number to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 08:16 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
I'm right there with you, Navy, on the older men forefront whereas dating is concerned. Depending on one's maturity level and that they are legally datable - age is just a number.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:22 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
It's been my experience that the older you get the less age matters.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:37 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
It's been my experience that the older you get the less age matters.
True!!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:49 PM

112 posts, read 569,293 times
Default Age->Experience->Rank?

In your somewhat unique situation I would be very d@#$ careful.

Assuming you are a junior enlisted man (generic, we know your gender) older men by definition are senior. Officers or NCOs, you are surveying a minefield. You know perfectly of what I speak but civilians do not.

So... tread thee with care! And enjoy the attentions we, er, I mean "Older Men" (not me!) so gratefully provide. As they say, Old Guys Rule!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
I've always been attracted to older men as well. I think that age is just a number. As long as people are compatible and everyone is treated with respect, age shouldn't matter.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
It is!!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:26 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
When I was 20 I was in a serious relationship with a 32yo. Everything was new to me in terms of life experiences being on my own but he had experienced many of the things I wanted to try already. I got bored quickly because he would always say he had done something and didn't feel like doing it again. To me it matters, at least at a young age like that. After him I wouldn't date anyone more than 5 years older. I ended up marrying someone 1 year younger.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:40 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Ask the courts.

If a woman is under 18, and the guy isn't--it's a problem. Even if the guy's 18 and she's 16. However, if she's 26 and he's 36, that's looked at as okay.

Why, pray tell us?

What magical thing happens to a person when they turn 18, that we now recognize them as an adult?

For me, if you're young enough to be my kid, you're too young.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:22 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
I think it depends on the individuals. Yes, age can matter, especially if you're younger. Age can have a big impact on what you want out of life or a relationship so if those things don't match up, it can be a problem. It's not just about maturity levels.

I know it's just a comedy but I always point out that Friends episode where Monica and Richard discover that because he is a generation older than her and already had kids who are grown, he doesn't want anymore children. But Monica is still young, never had kids and desperately wants them some day. They eventually have to split up because they want different things from the relationship, due to the generation gap between them. I'm sure similar situations have happened in reality. Even if it's just a matter of the older partner wanting marriage or children before the younger partner is ready. That can cause problems too. And of course there's all sorts of other issues age can effect, not just marriage and kids. I'm aware that even a couple of the same age can have similar problems with one wanting something the other doesn't or wanting it much sooner than the other. I just think an age difference can make it more likely.

But my husband is 6 years and 9 months older than I am and age has never been a problem, even when I was 18 and he was 25. Well, it was a problem for my parents but not for us. Sometimes it's weird to think there is an age gap between us because it's never really felt like it. We both wanted marriage at the same time and we're both okay with not having kids yet (but then I guess it's different for guys, there's less pressure to have kids before a certain age).

Point being that age can matter, it's not necessarily "just a number" but that doesn't mean it never works out, it just depends on the individuals involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships