Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:54 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
(scratches head) Now my old age MUST be kicking in.

I have not dated any cops or any Irishmen. YET! The ink on my divorce papers just dried. But give me time!

Hm. Cops. Sexy uniforms. Could be fun. Irishmen - eh. I am not a huge drinker. Never was. But their freckles are sure cute.

Now the shorter man thing - hehe, Big Boy, you are correctomundo!
Irish cops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 12:01 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,986 times
My ex and I are 10 years apart, but he was the older one. Age didn't really play a part in the relationship. 10 years isn't much. I also know a couple that's been married for a very long time where the woman is 10 years older and they're doing great.

Good luck to you, but don't worry about the age thing. I don't think it's a good sign that you're focusing on that from the very beginning though. Does her age make her seem any different from you or any of the girls you were interested in before? It really shouldn't.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:03 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Hi all,

I'm 28 and I am interested in a woman 38 years old. I actually know her through an organization/another friend of mine.

We have a real lot in common, we love the outdoors, going to new places, traveling to new places, we just have a lot to talk about, plus shes gorgeous (I think so at least). And I have gotten some small signs of mutual interest, a little light flirting. I guess we've known each other for a couple months now, but I really only became "interested" in her for about a couple weeks now, since it was the first time I saw her since then.

Anyways, what is your advice on a younger guy interested in an older woman.
I think there's tremendous appeal in an older woman:

life experiences that make them very interesting to listen to (less so with womn in their early twenties).

They know what they want, over the bad boy stage, and they don't really play games, (they can identify interest coming from a guy and will be more direct if they are not interested in going on a date). Plus, I think they can be just as attractive as a 20 year, seriously.

I consider faily confident, mostly. Money is one issue, at this point in my career, I only make just under 30,000/year not enough for a family, but it pays the bills. Other than that though, I think I'm fun, interesting, and not boring, and I always come up with great date ideas. So I know of my good traits and those give me confidence.

She has certainly had a lot of dating experience, considering shes older, and shes even been married, that stuff doesn't intimidate me at all.

Just have two questions:

I had asked her out a couple times casually, you know "hey, I got this time free, and was going to do this, how would you like to come along?" Both time however she had something else going on. Like I said, I think at that age, woman don't play games and will be more direct, so they know its a date, and may let you down gently, rather than look for excuses not to go. But still, should I just be persistent, but not pushy?

What are some things to do/say to an older woman that would may her feel great, in a way that would make her want to be with me? I know older woman are often self-conscious about looking old. Maybe I could casually compliment/reassure that she is (and she is!) still very pretty. I suppose I could tell her that I like her independence and sense of adventure (which she has).

What do you think?
if she does not want to be with you, there is nothing you can say or do that will "make her want to be with you". It isn't you...personally, perhaps she wouldn't want to date anyone younger, maybe she had a bad experience with a younger person or it's a stigma...some women do possess. Myself, I always dated men much younger then myself...the most was 9 years younger. It didn't bother me...they seemed at the time, much more eager to explore interests...then older men. Older men, seemed very set in their ways....and if she is self conscious about looking older, then it won't work...you can try, but when she says no, she means no, accept it and leave her alone, otherwise, she'll do everything she can to avoid you.

I'd like to add...you can't be who you are not...so just be yourself, don't worry about what to say or do to reassure her...if she says no, she means no...then, let it go and move on.

Good Luck

Old 10-23-2008, 03:59 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Dating older women can be quite fun. The BS level goes waaaay down. They relax with experience, and dont trip out over trivial things. It makes them feel attractive to date a younger man, so go for it.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:02 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oildog View Post
it makes them feel attractive to date a younger man, so go for it.
Not!

Your generalization is fluff.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:16 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
You could open up with some poetry perhaps Shakespeare or Chaucer. Then go into song and dance preferably something from Phantom The Opera. Wear very tight jeans to show off all of your man curves.

On a side note I hear women like to laugh and often feel intimated by people especially men who come on "too strong".... so come across as non-threatening at all times...also learn a few one-liners eg: "hey is that a rocket in your pocket or are you just happy to see me"

Let me know how my advice works for you.

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm 28 and I am interested in a woman 38 years old. I actually know her through an organization/another friend of mine.

We have a real lot in common, we love the outdoors, going to new places, traveling to new places, we just have a lot to talk about, plus shes gorgeous (I think so at least). And I have gotten some small signs of mutual interest, a little light flirting. I guess we've known each other for a couple months now, but I really only became "interested" in her for about a couple weeks now, since it was the first time I saw her since then.

life experiences that make them very interesting to listen to (less so with womn in their early twenties).

They know what they want, over the bad boy stage, and they don't really play games, (they can identify interest coming from a guy and will be more direct if they are not interested in going on a date). Plus, I think they can be just as attractive as a 20 year, seriously.

I consider faily confident, mostly. Money is one issue, at this point in my career, I only make just under 30,000/year not enough for a family, but it pays the bills. Other than that though, I think I'm fun, interesting, and not boring, and I always come up with great date ideas. So I know of my good traits and those give me confidence.

She has certainly had a lot of dating experience, considering shes older, and shes even been married, that stuff doesn't intimidate me at all.

Just have two questions:

I had asked her out a couple times casually, you know "hey, I got this time free, and was going to do this, how would you like to come along?" Both time however she had something else going on. Like I said, I think at that age, woman don't play games and will be more direct, so they know its a date, and may let you down gently, rather than look for excuses not to go. But still, should I just be persistent, but not pushy?

What are some things to do/say to an older woman that would may her feel great, in a way that would make her want to be with me? I know older woman are often self-conscious about looking old. Maybe I could casually compliment/reassure that she is (and she is!) still very pretty. I suppose I could tell her that I like her independence and sense of adventure (which she has).

What do you think?

Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Not!

Your generalization is fluff.
Just calling it like I see it.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:44 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
older women are good great manners so forth
unfortuately in my case that means i gota put their walker
in the trunk every time i take them out.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:52 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Just have two questions:

What do you think?
I'm with a man right now who is ten years younger than me. I'm 46 and he's 36. He's the best thing that ever happened to me. I never thought I'd end up with someone a decade younger, but it doesn't seem to matter. Of course, we don't get a lot of weird looks from people who don't know our ages, because physically we appear to be much closer in age than a decade apart. But the people that do know and have said something, both of us just go "Pfffffft who cares?" and then have a big smooch and hug right in front of them just to be silly.

If you're happy and she's happy, go for it. The ONLY thing I think you might consider is if you are eventually wanting to have kids, she's entering the realm of having more problems getting/being preggers. It's not a block in the way, just something to think about and work around if it's an issue. For me and my man, well I already have grown kids and he adamantly doesn't want any so it's all good.

Good luck to you and your lady love.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:10 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
I thought some of you read my update, but I guess not.

We're basically dating now! We had a little discussion of the age issue after out first romantic moment, but then we both agreed that the important thing is that we like each other.

So thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships