U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 PM

4,739 posts, read 5,452,901 times
Default Personal experiances

Every thing we share is a personal experience on here with the exception of those that post from an assumption like those that think everyones in a gang because they watch Beretta reruns but have never really left town. We can all feel sorry for that crowd.
After the final assessment is made from something you posted do you read on and answer once you've reached a conclusion, or do you write it off as the late crowd coming on here only to vent hostilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 02:21 PM

15,207 posts, read 24,856,471 times
Huh?

Remember Fred the Cockatoo from Baretta? I had a bird just like that, only her name was Boo Boo.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:25 PM

4,739 posts, read 5,452,901 times
Fred and Boo Boo rock, yes I remember Fred although not the name, well trained Cockatoo he was...

Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 AM

456 posts, read 884,923 times
As in every group, whether online or in real time, there will always be an element in the group who think it is their right to bully, troll, or make fun of or make assumptions about other people. That wouldn't be so bad if their posts were framed with the understanding that all of our answers are based on personal experience and that no one knows "the truth" for everyone. I was blindsided by a little gang of cyberbullies here on cd recently and allowed them to temporarily bait me into arguing with them. I quickly came back to my senses, especially after reading their other posts and seeing that they are completely and for the most part blindly caught up in themselves with no regard to the feelings or needs of the original posters or their questions. Another thing that I discovered in the process was that other users here did see what was happening and offered their viewpoints and tips. On this site, there are more positive, thinking people who actually do take the time to read and understand the thread and then draw logical or thoughtful conclusions. Those who are here to vent their hostilities--either overtly or covertly--are par for the course. They encourage each other to be this way, so why don't we just ignore them, let them get off on each other, and focus on what we came here to do?

Be aware though some of the folks here will make fun of you and your posts if you have a lot of spelling and grammatical errors, or if you use certain words or phrases that sadly automatically trigger them into their joking or bullying routine. It might help to think of them as the kids in the back of the classroom who contribute very little to the discussion in terms of content but who make fun of the other students, especially the ones who are struggling, different, or vulnerable. I like imagining them to be like those two old guys on The Muppet Show back in the day, sitting in the balcony of the theatre having a great time making fun of the show.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,615,421 times
I tend to try to read what other's say. I don't have to agree with them, but also realize I'm not a perfect person by any means. So, I have to take what others say, and take an honest look at myself. If it can apply, and seems to be truthful, I'll try to change a thought or behavior. If I think it's just sour grapes or someone trolling, I try to just let it roll.

In the military, it's always the senior positions that write evaluations on subordinates. But I always tried to get the people that worked for me to have inputs on my evaluations that I submitted as my input. My view was that, as a senior enlisted, other enlisted people that have been in for a reasonable amount of time have a more realistic view of what a good leader/manager is than a guy with 1-3 years out of the academy with very limited experience. So, I ask the other enlisted guys to evaluate me, then take their responses, and try to make myself better from it. Make sense?

Same with postings. I'm not going to agree with everyone, nor them with me. Also, people are going to form opinions about me, rightly or wrongly. If someone says something negative about me, I can't dismiss it just because it's negative. But, if it's just pis* and vinegar to be mean, then I let it go. Same applies to topics or opinions.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:51 AM

13,152 posts, read 11,752,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Every thing we share is a personal experience on here with the exception of those that post from an assumption like those that think everyones in a gang because they watch Beretta reruns but have never really left town. We can all feel sorry for that crowd.
After the final assessment is made from something you posted do you read on and answer once you've reached a conclusion, or do you write it off as the late crowd coming on here only to vent hostilities?
I never write it off...whatever people say, gives me food for thought, even though, at times, I may be stubborn about their thougths, they always prove to be throught provoking and sometimes very helpful....

I have though been attacked by that other crowd that you speak of....and am trying very hard, to simply ignore the condiscention and redoric...sometimes, it's hard, but I'm learning...so, that in itself is also a helpful tool for me.

Would like to also add, I've been in other forums, of which are profoundly cruel and evil...therefore, I feel at home here...it's not nearly as bad, not even close...nor are most of those that contribute to this forum nearly as obstinant and arrogant, immovable and have to have the last word, no matter what!!! In those other forums, especially the one, I tried to be very patient, and so many people take opinions and advice as a personal attack against their character, which tells one, they cannot conform to change...it's their way or the highway.

but I love CD forum...and even though, at times I may disagree, always welcome what others have to offer, as long as it's friendly honesty, there is still much for me to learn.

You can pick out the sarcasim, immediately...

creme

Old 10-02-2008, 09:36 AM

13,152 posts, read 11,752,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
Be aware though some of the folks here will make fun of you and your posts if you have a lot of spelling and grammatical errors, or if you use certain words or phrases that sadly automatically trigger them into their joking or bullying routine. It might help to think of them as the kids in the back of the classroom who contribute very little to the discussion in terms of content but who make fun of the other students, especially the ones who are struggling, different, or vulnerable. I like imagining them to be like those two old guys on The Muppet Show back in the day, sitting in the balcony of the theatre having a great time making fun of the show.
I have MS, therefore, I write better then I can speak in person, why I don't know, but I will tell you this, can't spell worth a dime...and if someone is going to be so shallow as to judge your charcter, b/c you can't spell as good as them, then, I say, they have to formally beat you down to make themselves feel better...you can read someone's post and see spelling errors, but you don't have to call them out...to me, that's very petty!!!! So don't worry your heart over something so insignificant.

Write, write write, your hearts content...and ignore the other stuff....there are amazingly brilliant people in here that don't have to call you out to prove their intelligence, and there are also a lot of kind, warm hearted interesting people...both men and women...so be you, and if someone jumps in to condiscend or literally try and make a fool out of you...Believe me, they are the ones who look foolish!

hugs
Creme

Old 10-02-2008, 09:56 AM

456 posts, read 884,923 times
Amen, cremebrulee.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:04 AM

918 posts, read 1,025,863 times
"there are amazingly brilliant people in here"

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:33 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,615,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
...and if someone is going to be so shallow as to judge your charcter, b/c you can't spell as good as them, then, I say, they have to formally beat you down to make themselves feel better...you can read someone's post and see spelling errors, but you don't have to call them out...to me, that's very petty!!!!
I will agree to an extent here, Creme. No one, I don't care if they're an English professor, but no one is perfect. And there's a difference between making a spelling mistake here and there, even to the extent that a word is mispelled more than once, and blatently being incompetent in writing a coherent thought.

Where I have a problem is when someone is trying to make a serious point/counter-point and you can't even understand the thrust of what they are saying because their spelling, grammar, and punctuation are all so either non-existent or distorted that you can't even really comprehend what they are saying.

It's hard enough to communicate with words only (we've all had people misunderstand the "tone" of what we are saying in the forums at times, I'm sure), that poor written communication skills don't make it any easier or do the author any justice.

And just for the record, you're writing is great... that I agree with 99% of what you say doesn't hurt either!! hehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships