Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 02:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

I make a conscious effort to be sensitive and concerned about people. You clearly do not value that. You keep defending how everybody manipulates everybody, and that is normal activity. NO, it is wrong. I do NOT manipulate anybody to like me or do my bidding. I would feel guilty if I did that. I make an effort to not manipulate anybody for my own gain unless I'm being bullied or manipulated first, because that is like somebody picking a fight with me, I need to protect myself from manipulative nutty people, and sometimes I have to give a long winded abrasive lecture that will hopefully be remembered.

I have a conscience. Do you have one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethC View Post
Well you obviously did feel some sort of attraction to that person if you asked them out in the first place - unless it was a joke - and so by saying what you quoted would be lying to them which goes back to being manipulative.

If you think about it, we play with other people's emotions on a daily basis. Getting someone to like you is playing with their emotions. Getting someone to do your bidding is playing with their emotions. Even inspiring someone is playing with their emotions. Am I saying that playing with other people's emotions is an ethical thing to do? No, but what I am pointing out is that the majority of people do it at some time or another.

I understand what you are saying about how if you're being respectful in your rejection then it shouldn't matter whether or not the other person is disrespectful. However, we as humans have pride and that oftens gets in the way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 02:37 PM

27 posts, read 115,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I did not say anybody on this board was greedy or selfish.

in the case I described it is more retaliatory than being greedy and selfish...there are differences.....my main point is don't play with people's feelings and you won't get yours played with in retaliation.

I apologize. I worded what I meant to say wrong. What I was trying to get across was that I noticed how you would instantly say that if a person did such and such action then that meant they were selfish or conceited. The reason I have a problem with this is because we all do and feel things that aren't exactly right from time to time but then again that's why we're human.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:38 PM

36,525 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Guys,if you ask us out and we say,"no",don't just dont just shrug, say,"okay",and walk away. We want you to be a little disappointed."

Is this true?
I dont think its true. I have acutally felt bad saying no, knowing I may have made the person feel bad.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:40 PM

Yep, none of us are perfect. I've said really mean things in retaliation before; however, as an adult I make a conscious effort to NOT be selfish, greedy, or manipulative in my regular activities with people. More people should be like me. I want to see more sensitivity and concern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethC View Post
I apologize. I worded what I meant to say wrong. What I was trying to get across was that I noticed how you would instantly say that if a person did such and such action then that meant they were selfish or conceited. The reason I have a problem with this is because we all do and feel things that aren't exactly right from time to time but then again that's why we're human.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I make a conscious effort to be sensitive and concerned about people. You clearly do not value that. You keep defending how everybody manipulates everybody, and that is normal activity. NO, it is wrong. I do NOT manipulate anybody to like me or do my bidding. I would feel guilty if I did that. I make an effort to not manipulate anybody for my own gain unless I'm being bullied or manipulated first, because that is like somebody picking a fight with me.

I have a conscience. Do you have one?
Hmm, now that you've mentioned it I haven't seen my conscience anywhere lately... maybe I left it at the Manipulators Unite conference I attended a recent time ago?

In all seriousness though, what I was trying to get across with the whole "we all manipulate" idea is that we sometimes subconsciously act a certain way to get what we want. Ex: When you meet somebody new that you like, you try to portray yourself in the best light possible because you want that person to feel the same way back. I'm talking about friendships here. Of course I'm not talking about bad manipulating and actually, I don't even think we can call what I am talking about manipulating since it really isn't. It just slightly shares the same premise.

I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into words - and please, no witty comment are neccessary about that line. It's often difficult to get your point out across the internet because things are so easily skewed when all you see are words and the occasional smiley face.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Yep, none of us are perfect. I've said really mean things in retaliation before; however, as an adult I make a conscious effort to NOT be selfish, greedy, or manipulative in my regular activities with people. More people should be like me. I want to see more sensitivity and concern!
I will agree with you on this! Society as a whole can be a little too cold at times.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:49 PM

^ I don't consider putting your best self forward as manipulation, unless he or she is usually bad or evil, then it is more like a trap.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:55 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
This may be a stupid question,but I'm a guy,so what do you expect?

Ok,so I was reading an article about dating,and one of the statements from women,on the subject,was this:

"Guys,if you ask us out and we say,"no",don't just dont just shrug, say,"okay",and walk away. We want you to be a little disappointed."

Is this true?
If you're not intrested in dating us,why would you be hoping for disappointment? To show that we care?
If we didn't care,we wouldn't have asked to begin with.
I believe this to be a 100% true! It gives chicks an extra boost to have guys feel disappointed, both from a man-hating sense of satisfaction and to boost her small self-confidence.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:59 PM

I like how you said "man-hating sense" and "small self confidence".

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
I believe this to be a 100% true! It gives chicks an extra boost to have guys feel disappointed, both from a man-hating sense of satisfaction and to boost her small self-confidence.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:00 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times
Quote:
I like how you said "man-hating sense" and "small self confidence".
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships