Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:58 PM

233 posts, read 764,543 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I just wanted to get this out of my system. If there's a woman I'm interested in or attracted to, but she's already involved with someone -- dating, committed relationship, engaged or married, should a single guy like me reject the friendship or be friends? I ask because I'm at a sort of odd (but even-numbered) age (26) where most of my peers are already engaged, married, or in a relationship, or even divorced, while some are single. Aside from that, I've never dated anyone. I've heard or read in some places that most men don't like other men "hanging around" with their girlfriends, fiancees or wives.

On the other hand, I enjoy being single -- at least for now, with the freedom I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 08:14 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,601,609 times
Not a good idea!
If its someone you are interested in, and attracted too, you are only asking for trouble. Go find yourself another friend, who you are NOT interested in.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:25 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,080,621 times
The problem is if you are friends with someone you are attracted to you may find yourself in the position of waiting for their relationship to go south and being disappointed when either a) it doesn't or b) you aren't the new guy.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:09 PM

918 posts, read 1,633,370 times
I say do whatever you can live with and not be depressed with. However, should she start seeing you while she is still with another guy (as in sleeping with, kissing, etc.), then you are at fault, and I will jump through the computer and beat you myself.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:16 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,841,717 times
Yes be friends but proceed with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteadyVibe View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I just wanted to get this out of my system. If there's a woman I'm interested in or attracted to, but she's already involved with someone -- dating, committed relationship, engaged or married, should a single guy like me reject the friendship or be friends? I ask because I'm at a sort of odd (but even-numbered) age (26) where most of my peers are already engaged, married, or in a relationship, or even divorced, while some are single. Aside from that, I've never dated anyone. I've heard or read in some places that most men don't like other men "hanging around" with their girlfriends, fiancees or wives.

On the other hand, I enjoy being single -- at least for now, with the freedom I have.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:26 PM

873 posts, read 1,585,440 times
Quote:

It just depends on their relationship I guess. If he doesn't mind and she doesn't mind, there's no reason you should mind, right?

If on the other hand one of them objects, I'd steer clear of it. You don't want to be the bad boy who caused problems.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:52 PM

It's harder to find friends offline that are unattached and I can show interest in and relate to than on places like MySpace.

Same goes for attractive women that are single - it's easier to find these kind of women on dating sites and places like MySpace than out in the real world.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:12 AM

82 posts, read 295,223 times
I think it depends on you. Are you seeing those married/taken attractive women as possibilities or just friends? There are such things as emotional affairs which can be hurtful for the both of you. I had a friend once who liked me since we were 13. He did not tell me until I had already been with someone for almost 4-5 years in a long distance relationship. I found my feelings changing and we were spending almost every weekend together. That's when I made the decision that the friendship had to end because I love my bf (now my husband).

I agree with you about meeting singles in person. After college/univ. it's harder to meet someone in person as it seems most people are limited to their work related/friends networks. But if you're like most people and have no time to go out every weekend, it's easier to meet singles online. I find that it's also easier to talk to someone online. What do you think?

Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,552,829 times
Quote:

You've never dated anyone?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:09 AM

CdnNewbie1 - I am just seeing them as just friends. I also find it easier to talk to people online.

Ah, who am I kidding? I should be pursuing both sexes for friendship.

Sunil's Dad - That's right, I've never dated anyone, although I once took my prom date out for coffee but that doesn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships