Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:24 PM

330 posts, read 1,313,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
In the past women generally had to be more attractive in order to score the man that earned more. However, now with women also working I think women have shifted the requirement of men from income to attraction. So, these days I think men and women both seek the most attractive partners that they can get and income is not such a high criteria.

I think it is extremely easy for a woman to get a boyfriend because there is just so much supply to choose from and men generally don't have very high requirements because all many are looking for initially is just sex.... I think it's much harder for a woman to KEEP a guy for the long term and possibly marry him. Men generally are averse to making permanent commitments.
Why is physical appearances such a high priority for dating? I know there needs to be an attraction, but something seems to be wrong. So many high school drop outs, underachieving and financially needy women have men banging their door down. They get dates left and right. I know women who are counselors, teachers, architects, attorneys and other professionals who are successful and own their own homes. No one is in a hurry to ask them out. Maybe is is because they don't look like Kim Kardashian or Shania Twain. But, they don't stop clocks either. A pretty face and figure helps. But if men would look beyond that, they could find someone who will bring more to the table and pull their weight in a relationship or marriage. Or, maybe they want to play Superman and need to feel needed. That is too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:24 PM

355 posts, read 1,376,316 times
You know what ive found...the "ugly or avg" folks as you put it, have to develop a personality to compensate. So while you may not be after them to date them they ultimately win you over with their wit, charm, and charisma : )

Old 10-04-2008, 07:51 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithey View Post
You know what ive found...the "ugly or avg" folks as you put it, have to develop a personality to compensate. So while you may not be after them to date them they ultimately win you over with their wit, charm, and charisma : )
Some of the best looking guys I've met have become real ugly real fast. Some of the not so great looking guys have become very handsome over time. I admit I'll be the first to look at a handsome man, but those looks can have a way of changing.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:58 PM

112 posts, read 569,159 times
Default ...

Suspect the problem is that--

Dating the Hollywood Way

is difficult. Which leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Yet, how many men routinely encounter (initially) datable females who live for drama? Who needs that?

Regarding appearance, consider that issue to actually be one of self-respect. Not all of us have The Genes but we can work with what we are given. Read: the gym. Get out, get fit, and get a life. True, this is far easier for the male of the species... less bodyfat, &c.,... but that just means the results women obtain are more appreciated.

And women have appearance options, think the entire field of cosmetic surgery. Not wishing to (re-)ignite the Breast Implants Holy War... but if it (or they) give you self-confidence, is that not worth $5k? Hopeless hair? Google "magic straight" to see what miracles are out there. If it worked to tame Chelsea Clinton's mop it can work for you.

Aging? Men age, well, smoother is one way to put it. But one need only cast one's gaze upon the Pantheon of Jo Raquel Tejada (Raquel Welch), Angeline Brown (Angie Dickinson), or Ann-Margret Olsson to see that ageless beauty is reachable.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
Once, a man told me he only dates women with children. Because he is a father himself and it works out better that way. If that is what we as a society has come to, that is sad.
I don't find this sad at all. The guy knows his limitations and works within them. Courtesy of him, one childless woman's life will be saved from turning into a disaster.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I've never known a woman in my life that has been single for longer than 4 months.
Sierra, nice to meet you.

Jumping from relationship to relationship is actually an extremely sad state of affairs.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:01 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sierra, nice to meet you.

Jumping from relationship to relationship is actually an extremely sad state of affairs.
I agree! It really helps to take some time after a relationship has ended.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't find this sad at all. The guy knows his limitations and works within them. Courtesy of him, one childless woman's life will be saved from turning into a disaster.
Childless or Childfree? (LOL!) I guess that man did me a favor huh?
I wouldn't mind dating a man with children. As long as they talk about other things as well. Or else, it is too overkill. Why is he no longer with their mother? Was he ever? It depends on the circumstances or the reason their relationship folded.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Dating is easy for women. I've never known a woman in my life that has been single for longer than 4 months. At the same time, most guys I know have had at least one spell of singledom for years.
You must not know that many women then. A lot of women have been single all of their lives. They dated here and there. But, nothing serious ever progressed beyond that. Maybe they had other priorities like work, school, family, friends and church. Dating and having a boyfriend was not "Do or die" for them.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
Childless or Childfree? (LOL!)
Both.

Quote:
I guess that man did me a favor huh?
Sure did.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind dating a man with children. As long as they talk about other things as well. Or else, it is too overkill. Why is he no longer with their mother? Was he ever? It depends on the circumstances or the reason their relationship folded.
You only believe so because you've never been in a hell like this. I thought so, too, when I married a widower with a teen daughter. Mind you, there wasn't even an ex in the picture. You might wanna read a bit on stepfamilies. There are some books on the market - not many, but enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships