Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:44 AM

303 posts, read 1,385,987 times

Advertisements

I recently pawned/sold some jewelry from an x. I don't want to remember him and it wasn;t quite my taste so with the high price of gold I sold it and got a decent penny for it. Did some shopping and put the rest toward holiday travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 03:48 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,979 times
Give it away. That is what I have done. My hubby was going to pawn his wedding band from first marriage but then threw it over a bridge. I think, for him at least, that was therapuetic. For me, I have always given it to someone else.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:54 AM

303 posts, read 1,385,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
Give it away. That is what I have done. My hubby was going to pawn his wedding band from first marriage but then threw it over a bridge. I think, for him at least, that was therapuetic. For me, I have always given it to someone else.
Throw it over a bridge... I'm loving that one! I'll remember that.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:41 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Somebody posted this a few months ago. Ex-Boyfriend Jewelry

Old 10-05-2008, 05:48 AM

342 posts, read 1,831,465 times
I've kept and do wear mine, but only because it holds no emotional/symbolic significance. If we were talking about engagement rings or if I had lingering feelings (love or hate) for the person who gave it to me or something like that, then I'd have issue with wearing a piece of jewelry and would get rid of it. But since that's not the case and it's just jewelry, I don't see a problem. If a current beau asks about a piece, I'll simply say "it was a (birthday/Christmas) gift" or whatever the occasion was and leave it at that. No need to go into it saying I got it from this-and-that ex that I dated for so long and blah blah blah.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:47 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
I still have and rarely wear it from time to tiime, but then its seldom that I wear any jewelery at all anyway, no matter who or where it came from.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:15 AM

542 posts, read 1,684,768 times
Hmmm....lets see...I have some experience here unfortunately.

I had two beautiful David Yurman bracelets from an ex-bf that I sold for a decent amount on ebay. He wasn't too happy with me about that lol. A necklace he gave me I didn't like I sent to my sister to pawn for money as she was strapped.

All the jewelry from my 2nd ex-husband and father of my two children is in a safe. I will either let my children have them someday if they want or will sell them if they don't. I don't wear any of it though, it just doesn't feel right.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:26 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
Keep it? yes

Wear it? absolutely

I see these things as more a symbol of a great friendship with happy memories. why not?

Old 10-05-2008, 09:37 AM

94 posts, read 324,653 times
I have a ring on right now that I got for Christmas from my ex fiance. I would never part with it. It's a beautiful (right hand) ring that is antique and has a massive amount of diamonds. To me, it's a piece of beautiful jewelry. It also represents a gift from a very important person who is now one of my closest friends. Even though we've gone our seperate ways and I'm now involved with someone else, I don't look at my ring as a symbol of love, but rather a reminder of the warmth I've shared with others thru my life. It's a memory, good or bad. It's a symbol of learning lifes lessons. It's a gift that cant go bad or depreciate. I say keep it. Something else you can do is take it apart and use the stones and/or gold to make a new piece of jewelry. That way you don't have to part with it, just change it to make it your own.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 PM

267 posts, read 1,835,796 times
I like your idea allio27 of making new jewelry out of the old stuff especially since the jewelry isn't really my taste anyway. But the jewelry that I want to sell is from an ex that was so toxic for me it wasn't even funny. As I saw it the other day in my jewelry box I thought to myself, "Why the hell am I keeping this stuff?". He didn't even really have good intentions when he gave it to me. Everytime he gave me a piece of jewlery he'd tell me that no other guy would treat me as good as he did and I should be thankful that I have him in my life and he saved me from all the creeps out there. Mind you, it wasn't like he was giving rings worth thousands of dollars or anything high end. Really it just got to a point that I didn't want any kind of gift from him because it always came with some kind of price.
I was 18 and fresh out of high school and he was 34(never married). There were sooooooo many red flags in the begining but I chose not to see them I guess. Eventually I did and knew I deserved someone so much better for me and be treated with respect. I dated some nice guys after him and eventually met the true love of my life, my husband .

Sometimes I regret the two years I spent with him but it really was a lesson in love.

Okay, now that I've told my toxic love story and my reason for wanting to get rid of it, how do I go about selling the jewelry? Do pawn shops give you much for your stuff or rip you off? Maybe ebay or craigslist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships