Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:48 PM

267 posts, read 1,831,262 times

Advertisements

The other day I was going through an old jewlery box and came across some jewlery given to me by ex-boyfriends. Mainly those cute little cocktail rings you get at Zales for $100, earrings, etc. Stuff I haven't worn in years. Actually, I don't think I've worn any of it since I've been with my husband (about 8 years). Hubby isn't the jealous type and said he didn't mind if I wear it since the stuff is pretty and it isn't a big deal to him. Personally, I'd feel weird wearing it even though the stuff is nice. Most of it that was given to me was from an ex-boyfriend that was VERY controlling and emotionally/verbally abusive towards me. (I was very young and dumb and he was way to old for me).

Anyway, I was thinking of selling it or pawning it and buying myself something nice Is that weird? The ex and the jewlery obviously don't mean anything to me so why should I keep it around? My husband says to keep it and use it as a story telling tool for our daughter when she's older about the evils of some men so she won't go through the same thing I went through, LOL. THis is also a man who keeps everything. I mean everything (Nintendo magazines from the 80's, Members Only jacket, you get the picture) so he has a hard time of getting rid of things.

I'm just curious what others have done with jewelry given to you by exes? Did you throw it into the deep blue sea? Still wear it? Keep it with old love letters? Sell it? Tell me your story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 10:03 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,346,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
The other day I was going through an old jewlery box and came across some jewlery given to me by ex-boyfriends. Mainly those cute little cocktail rings you get at Zales for $100, earrings, etc. Stuff I haven't worn in years. Actually, I don't think I've worn any of it since I've been with my husband (about 8 years). Hubby isn't the jealous type and said he didn't mind if I wear it since the stuff is pretty and it isn't a big deal to him. Personally, I'd feel weird wearing it even though the stuff is nice. Most of it that was given to me was from an ex-boyfriend that was VERY controlling and emotionally/verbally abusive towards me. (I was very young and dumb and he was way to old for me).

Anyway, I was thinking of selling it or pawning it and buying myself something nice Is that weird? The ex and the jewlery obviously don't mean anything to me so why should I keep it around? My husband says to keep it and use it as a story telling tool for our daughter when she's older about the evils of some men so she won't go through the same thing I went through, LOL. THis is also a man who keeps everything. I mean everything (Nintendo magazines from the 80's, Members Only jacket, you get the picture) so he has a hard time of getting rid of things.

I'm just curious what others have done with jewelry given to you by exes? Did you throw it into the deep blue sea? Still wear it? Keep it with old love letters? Sell it? Tell me your story!

It depends......I pawned a bracelet my last Bf gave me(lmao)...I didnt like it and only wore it b/c I loved him and after we ended it didnt mean anything to me and I figured throwing it away was stupid so atleast I got some gas out of it (lmao). I would have kept the earrings though if I hadnt of lost one (damn!!!) they were really cute.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,912,088 times
keep it - yes
wear it - no

Old 10-04-2008, 10:06 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,187,608 times
I kept most of it but do not wear it. I guess I figure I will consider it nostalgic at some point. When I came across my ex's lovilier pin from his fraternity, I sent it back. My husband said it was some sort of sacred fraternity crap...so I did it. But the Mikimoto's are mine and I am not sending them back

Old 10-04-2008, 10:07 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,073,039 times
nope but i still got the mark on my finger. its permanent.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:11 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,158,234 times
Out with the old, in with the new is my motto. It's just stuff, as George Carlin would say. I did keep my first and only promise ring given to me when I was 18. I sold my wedding ring and expensive watches to support myself and my son years ago....again..just stuff.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:13 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,561,534 times
I still have a necklace from someone I dated back in the 80's He brought it back for me from Spain, it's a beautiful silver necklace. He was a celeb and was one of the kindest men I've ever dated. I have no feelings left for him - I just never wanted to part with the necklace, it is so beautiful. I keep it in my drawer and never wear it. I'll probably give it to my daughter in a few years.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:29 PM

267 posts, read 1,831,262 times
Wow! Those were some quick responses . You guys have some good stories.
I have to agree with you Mrsteware, I wouldn't send those Mikimotos back either. I am keeping a ring and locket that my high school sweetheart gave me. Those were good memories but the rest of the stuff I'm gonna sell and buy me a nice pair of sexy boots....Out with old and in with the new!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:31 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,187,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
Wow! Those were some quick responses . You guys have some good stories.
I have to agree with you Mrsteware, I wouldn't send those Mikimotos back either. I am keeping a ring and locket that my high school sweetheart gave me. Those were good memories but the rest of the stuff I'm gonna sell and buy me a nice pair of sexy boots....Out with old and in with the new!
Good for you! Post a pic of the new boots

My grandmother still has the jewelry her boyfriends gave her...class ring, bracelets, necklaces, brooch, several charms...great to look at and hear the stories attached!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:22 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,249,823 times
My wife has a wedding set from a previous marriage. The set is kept in our Safe Deposit box at a bank and she will sell the set when/if we ever get into a financial bind. We both agreed on that. I threw away (with her permission) a lot of old pics that she had of her two previous husbands and an old boyfriend. However, we did keep an old (do mean OLD) wedding album of her first marriage when she was 19 years old. If she ever wants to throw that away, that is up to her.
Years ago (10-20 plus) I would have gotten very jealous if I seen photos, etc. of ex's in a womans home, that I was seeing or had a serious relationship going on with. That jealousy TOTALLY disappeared after I met/married my wife. I knew, then, that she had these photos and that soon or later they would be thrown out......which they were.
See, my wife LOVES pictures/photos. But, there comes a time when the old marriages/relationship photos will go.......and they did, except for one album and that will end up going someday.
I have a couple of photos of my "ex" standing with my daughter (12 years ago) that were sent to me by my daughter. They are in a box where they will stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships