Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

It is the quality of the fish that count and I can tell you that there is a low percentage of high quality fish....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 04:26 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,640 times
Awful site. I'd avoid like the plague. Most of the guys on that site look like felons. Plenty of fish? More like plenty of barracudas, jellyfish, piranhas, etc...LOL

But there is a forum on POF which you could always use for social interaction...

Old 10-06-2008, 04:30 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Awful site. I'd avoid like the plague. Most of the guys on that site look like felons. Plenty of fish? More like plenty of barracudas, jellyfish, piranhas, etc...LOL

But there is a forum on POF which you could always use for social interaction...
I think I looked at it once when somebody mentioned it. I found it a bit scary, too.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
plenty of great white sharks......

Old 10-06-2008, 05:10 PM

311 posts, read 915,924 times
Default POF/vs Pay site

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeThings View Post

I did move to a pay site, and was subsequently "caught" there--much to my surprise and delight. Also found--and met--more "datable" men there than on POF.

My SO and I would likely not have met without using the internet, and I consider us both to be catches (as do our respective friends).
Ok, so what pay site did you use? I have it seems, tried them all and have very limited success with any of them.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:40 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Hey now, go easy on the guys on that site!

Seriously though, I think because it's a "free" site you do *generally* get some quality issues or just a skewed sample.

I am checking out match.com but it seems to have it's own oddities....I signed up and haven't paid yet while deciding and I have been *winked* at by 3 gals that are all somewhat attractive to pretty hot and that are all MUCH younger than me and are from distant states.

I'm not a fool, I smell a rat at match.com

Old 10-06-2008, 05:56 PM

130 posts, read 447,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyrose View Post
Ok, so what pay site did you use? I have it seems, tried them all and have very limited success with any of them.
It was Match--I was looking for guys in the 30 to 42 age range in the San Diego area. (Perhaps sites differ by location and/or age range?) I signed up for 6 months, and they have a free 6 month renewal if you hadn't met "someone special" -- which I hadn't so I took the free 6 months, during which I met my BF.

In my profile, I tried to post a lot of pictures, so people could get a true sense of what I looked like, and also ones that showed some of my personality. Wrote--what I was told--an interesting profile (but maybe they said that to everyone...) I DID change my tag line a few times--seemed to make a difference in the kinds of guys that responded to my profile. Still had to weed through the players, etc. but had quite a few good first dates--fewer second dates, a few 3-monthers, and this one over a year now. Much higher quality guys than I found on POF (sorry MathGuy, but it's true...)

Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Seriously though, I think because it's a "free" site you do *generally* get some quality issues or just a skewed sample.

I am checking out match.com but it seems to have it's own oddities....I signed up and haven't paid yet while deciding and I have been *winked* at by 3 gals that are all somewhat attractive to pretty hot and that are all MUCH younger than me and are from distant states.

That's how Match.com suckered me in. Look at their site, make a profile. They someone fake shows interest in you and you pay to join up and contact them. Probably was an employee through a fake profile.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 PM

918 posts, read 1,643,117 times
Internet dating is just like real dating. If you suck, and don't have a good pic, you will get nothing.

Personally, I have been on these sites before... never posted a pic. And still had a few decent ones (out of several dozen contacts). I don't want stalkers, cuz I am a hot guy (tooting my own horn here).

Old 10-06-2008, 07:14 PM

311 posts, read 915,924 times
Default they are all alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Math,

I think that allot of folks just got plain tired of paying fees for basically nothing on the pay sites and at least on FISH they dont have to shell out the cash. I tried Match,American Singles, as well as Yahoo Personals and a few others along the way (single 8yrs now). They all have their quirks, but like you and some of the others pointed out, LOTS of players out there, the guys in my age range are looking for women 20 yrs younger and I am sorry but I just am not interested in someone who is as old as my father or more! I am to the point that I am happy with who I am and if someone comes along who wants to share that, fine, if not, then I am fine with that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships