Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:58 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,642,307 times

Advertisements

I dated someone years ago who I thought didn't smoke. I'm a non-smoker. He used to brush his teeth and chew on a lifesaver. When I found out he said he would quit. But he just hid it from me. After we were married I know he was still smoking now and then. Never in front of me or the kids. We divorced in '87 and since then has had four heart attacks. He started smoking at 11 Finally after the fourth heart attack he has quit...some people just have to learn the hard way. Watching friends who smoke I guess it is a very difficult thing to do to quit.
I smoked one cigarette in college and got a ugly rash all around my neck...so giving that up wasn't hard...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 05:23 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,086,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelovestars View Post
If someone knows a person smokes and chooses to date them anyways... I think they lose all complaining rights.
If I was in a relationship and suddenly my partner decided he didn't like the fact that I smoked... well, that's too bad. I knew someone who quit for his girlfriend... as soon as they broke up he was right back at it. You really can only quit "for you".
A little OT, maybe but...
some people are a little ridiculous when it comes to complaining about smoking.
For instance, my roommate had her platonic male friend over and he decided to make himself at home in my bed as they were having a conversation. He then proceeded to chew me out for smoking. "Your bed smells like smoke! Gross!"
GET OUT OF MY BED THEN.
Plus, I asked my roomie... and she said I really don't make the room smell much at all. So HA.
Also, I was walking across a very wide crosswalk one time, wind was blowing pretty strongly to the right.
This girl atleast twenty feet to my left gave a few theatrical coughs and shot me a look to kill.
Ugh! There was no smoke even coming NEAR her direction. Give me a break. Plus, you are outdoors at a college campus with a pretty decent smoking population.
I know it is a gross, unhealthy habit, but if it isn't affecting you, please don't give me grief about it.
Sorry, I'm ranting.
I know what you are saying. I have had the "cough" "sputter" thing two.
I few years ago I was at a large mall, I was outside having my cigarette, right next to the ashtray. This woman came out of the store and told me to put my cigarette out, when the door opened it bothered her. I cannot post what I said to her, I would be banned from the forum, but just know she got my point.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:37 PM

8,886 posts, read 20,270,199 times
Neither wife or I smoke which is GREAT! I (husband) use to smoke cigs years ago, but stopped and took up chewing (Copenhagen and Skoal). Yes, I would spit, but none of my friends (who also chewed) cared......rodeo crowd and neither did the women we knew. Met my wife and she really didn't care that I chewed. She was just grateful that I didn't smoke (smell/cig butts around). When I smoked, it was only about a pack a week! When I chewed, sometimes I wouldn't even finish the can (it would dry up). Stopped chewing 5 years after meeting my wife (in 2005) and we were BOTH very happy about that!
But, what I'm wondering about is cigar or pipe smokers? Cigar smoke can be very heavy and smelly!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:01 PM

749 posts, read 2,078,792 times
My ex loved cigars..you know the big, fat expensive kind made in South American countries like Nicaragua or Cuba. He also used to smoke joints of something else, if you know what I mean. I find it intersting that he browbeat me into giving up cigarettes. One day he had a fit because I wanted to go outside and have my java and a cigarette. If he was a more level-headed person, he would have just had a talk with me.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:52 AM

35,975 posts, read 30,513,823 times
Im a reformed smoker. My bf of a few months is a smoker. Initially, I thought about not dating him for that reason, but his better attributes trumped the smoking. Occasionally, I will make a comment about his smoking, usually when he starts coughing. I probably shouldnt, but the longer we are together the more I care about him and dont want to lose him to lung cancer. I watched my mother die a few yrs. ago from it and my sis (so far) has beat lung cancer after having a lung removed.

The thing that bugs me about his smoking is that since all businesses are smoke free, he is always in a rush to leave the restaraunt or whatever so he can smoke and he will not go watch a movie because he cant go 2 hrs without smoking.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:27 AM

42,831 posts, read 87,956,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The thing that bugs me about his smoking is that since all businesses are smoke free, he is always in a rush to leave the restaraunt or whatever so he can smoke
Be happy he even goes. I don't go anywhere unless there is a place where I can at least somewhat enjoy myself (usually if there is, it'd be the worst area). I refuse to support discrimination financially (yes, I know it's not always the owners' fault, but that's how it is) and it doesn't matter to me who pays for the outing, either.

Even before these Nazi measures took effect very few American restaurants felt like restaurants to me anyway and those that did were very pricey. They’re basically eateries and I don’t care to go to expensive eateries much anyway. You’re expected to stuff your stomach as quickly as possible and get the hell out, so another wallet can take your place. Taking your menus from you immediately is the most idiotic thing business-wise, though. God forbid you might decide to order something later… Actually, I believe one of the reasons behind the smoking bans and the fact many owners are OK with them is because smoking assumes lingering longer and enjoying yourself. Who wants THAT…? You’re just a walking ATM.

Quote:
and he will not go watch a movie because he cant go 2 hrs without smoking.
That I don't have a problem with. I don't go to theaters much mainly because they're kept at meatlocker temperatures.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:26 PM

35,975 posts, read 30,513,823 times
LOL. Sierra you are hard core. I totally understand tho. Although Im glad I quit, I really really loved cigs.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,664,864 times
tada

Last edited by CityGirl72; 10-13-2008 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-13-2008, 02:02 PM

3,490 posts, read 8,202,814 times
I wouldn't seriously date someone who had a dependancy on cigs. It just smells so gross to me. I'm glad they did the ban on smoking in restaurants, having someone elses smoke waft over just as I'm about to take a mouthfull of food has ruined plenty of good meals.

Lots of my friends smoke, but they all go outside to do it - even in their own homes.
I have one friends who smokes in her car, and I literally can't ride in her car for more than 5 minutes without starting to feel really ill.

I think a lot is how it's handled. Someone who wanted to smoke in the house or car, just wouldn't work for me because I would constantly feel nauseaus.

My DH likes the occassional cigar and I'm fine with that as long as it's occassional and outside. I don't give him a hard time about it, but I can smell the cigar on his breath for HOURS afterwards even if he has brushed his teeth. Ugh.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:01 PM

132 posts, read 461,695 times
Both my BF and I both smoke and it's so nice to be able to puff away and not feel guilty about it. I've dated a few guys who had issues with it. One was a super hot, but shy, firefighter on whom I'd had a crush for awhile. It was around the third date when he decided to kiss me. Before he made the move, he gave me a piece of gum. The mood was gone but I kissed him anyway because I had been dying to for so long, but didn't date him after that.

I smoke in the car but only smoke in the house during the winter. Yes, my car reeks. In the winter, I only smoke in the house when I have a fire in the FP; smoke goes right out. Like Sierra, I have a smoking patio out back where I spend happy hours (at all hours). I choose my entertainment based on where I can smoke, which usually means crossing the state line and spending my $$ in another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships