Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:18 PM

3,490 posts, read 8,201,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Apparently not. It's not about "stepping" outside. It's about enjoying an expensive meal you pay for. It's about enjoying your drink along with your smoke, relaxing, and having a good time like anybody else. Besides, there used to be smoking sections, so the people around you were of a like mind obviously and didn't mind.

Yet, you completely ignored or avoided my question.
I added to my post to answer your question while you were writing yours. Your point about an expensive meal is right on. Why should my meal be ruined by your habit? Smoke wafts. If you were in a whole seperate room with a closed door and seperate vents, then fine. A seperate 'section' doesn't cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,937,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
My point is that, people who drive drunk are never aware of exactly how drunk they really are and they can cause real immediate damage to your health.
To say the least... Comparing the remote possibility of any health risk to being killed is quite ridiculous.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
To say the least... Comparing the remote possibility of any health risk to being killed is quite ridiculous.
Quite ridiculous I agree.
Oh I forgot, cancer can kill you too.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
Ok, I'll admit I had to read this a couple of times before I got what you were saying. My point is that, people who drive drunk are never aware of exactly how drunk they really are and they can cause real immediate damage to your health. But that's neither here nor there, I think it's the perfect example but you're welcome to disagree. Definitely not worth arguing about.
I wasn't very clear. I'm saying that the smoking ban is the equivalent of the drunk driving law. There to protect the public.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,937,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
So a restaurant that allows smokers could indeed be endangering people's lives whether the owner has decided to allow it or not.
I take it you're talking about the lives of those of us who want to patronize these places... Are you even listening to yourself? You suggest the nanny government should save me from myself?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Oh I forgot, cancer can kill you too.
If it ever happens. If it's ever caused by it. If it ever kills you. And that's the same as being killed in a car acciden by a drunk driver instantaneously?! I knew I should've never gotten involved in this thread as it's getting close to not being able to refrain myself from calling a spade a spade...

Old 10-13-2008, 09:39 PM

754 posts, read 1,445,701 times
Quote:
Maybe, but just had to deal with this situation, so drunk driving is not so remote to me now.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:08 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,435,774 times
Quote:
That's a fact applying to everybody...?.
Pretty much,when I was at the restaurant the other day there was a young girl next to me and she kept hacking...I just knew that cough

Quote:
Yeah, that'd be the only thing flawing your spotless image, Stuck!
Ooh going somewhere else...I'd venture to guess without looking you are in the smokers camp perhaps?
As a matter of fact,I may not be in the best emotional state now but I still have pride in my health

Quote:
This elephant's done alright, thank you. Granted, this elephant's early youth wasn't spent in the land of the "free" and the "healthy" , but I'd venture to say that if it decides to extend its trunk into the dating scene, it might very well do better than "healthy" you despite its horrendous "flaws".:.
I see I must've hit a sore spot here...
Well of course you're not going to have trouble getting dates,you're a female.
Most guys aren't going to be that picky,but as some of us mature in age we tend to become more discriminating.

Quote:
Do you mean to tell us you actually had a live-in BF meeting the above criteria...?!
Now c'mon you can do better than that

Quote:
I'll betcha the majority of those repeating this mantra have never bothered to check why these "studies" are being ordered, who orders them, most importantly who pays for them, and last but not least what the actual results of them are.
I know I check things out and also am aware of the sources of 'studies',besides I've been around smokers all my life including my parents...
a father who died at age 49 from heart problems,possibly contributed to be the who knows how many pack a day smoking habit. And a mother and sister who are also smokers who have signs of emphysema...coincidence? Perhaps.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:14 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,435,774 times
Quote:
If it ever happens. If it's ever caused by it. If it ever kills you.
Considering there are about 100 different chemicals in a cigarette including formaldehyde and lead,chances are one of them will have a lasting effect

Btw why did they even bother removing lead from paint if it's not that bad?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I take it you're talking about the lives of those of us who want to patronize these places... Are you even listening to yourself? You suggest the nanny government should save me from myself?!

No, I don't care at all about the nanny govenment saving you from yourself. I care about there being laws in place to protect others from your habit. If you chose to kill yourself that's fine. But please don't take us with you.

If it ever happens. If it's ever caused by it. If it ever kills you. And that's the same as being killed in a car acciden by a drunk driver instantaneously?! I knew I should've never gotten involved in this thread as it's getting close to not being able to refrain myself from calling a spade a spade...
I feel the same way. I said earlier we should just agree to disagree, but you didn't want to do that.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,517,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Considering there are about 100 different chemicals in a cigarette including formaldehyde and lead,chances are one of them will have a lasting effect

Btw why did they even bother removing lead from paint if it's not that bad?

Alcohol IS a poison. I could smoke a pack of cigarettes--one right after another--and still be able to function. If you drank a case of beer one right after another, you'd probably die of alcohol poisoning. AP is REAL, and people HAVE died from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships