Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 02:21 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,406,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
Sadly the above reasons over time will lead to divorce. Men are very simple and content creatures of habit. To us we feel if it ain't broke don't fix it. Trouble is it gets broke long before we realize and often when we try to fix it its usually too late.
Yes.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:32 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I didn't agree with a lot of what you posted, but rather than pick through it, I thought I would address this statement. It's interesting. I know more single dads than single moms, and while I know some great single moms, the single dads do a great job from what I can tell. I think I know the reason behind that--just a guess but it seems logical. Which is more common, a mother leaving a baby on the father's doorstep, or a dad walking out of a kid's life? Probably the latter. I think a father who strives for custody demonstrates that he wants to be with his child. I don't think you can make a parent take custody, so a non-aborting woman is left holding the bag.
But even in your post, you point out an inconsistency.....More men may walk out on their kids (for whatever reason), but if a woman does not want to be a mother, she just kills (aborts) her child before it is even born. So I don't think we can say women are more inclined to want to take care of children they bring into the world (or at least begin that process by getting pregnant).

Old 04-26-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireChief View Post
TV is terrible. Despite being a man himself, even Doc. Phil is peddling Oprah’s pro-women pabulum. His wisdom on marriage and family boils down to this priceless gem, “If momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy”. Well, there you have it in a nutshell, if you want to stay married, do what ever your wife wants no matter how asinine or self-centered her demand. Phil is getting rich betraying men. Way to go Phil!

What does perplex me is why women get so excited about Kate and William and their “fairy tale” wedding. And yet, that shouldn’t surprise me because having defined marriage, the Kate and William extravaganza fits right into the absurd and outrageous views women have on marriage.

I can see the tabloids now, “Kate the Feminist Queen” and all the absurdity two diametrically opposed institutions (ancient monarchy and modern marriage) will no doubt create. The divorce will certainly spawn as much press as the wedding. The real question is, who will be the first to cheat? There is absolutely no question who will get blamed when the marriage fails. Anyone need to be told?

There are a lot of good women. There really are. But my goodness, there are most certainly, a lot of silly silly women that desperately need to grow up!
Can't abide Dr. Phil.

I'm not excited about the Royal Wedding except for some curiosity about her dress. You should know that many women watch wedding stuff on TV with a running narrative going on in their heads that can be quite negative.

If you saw me watching the Royal Wedding, you'd be wrong to think I was excited. I'm curious, but I really think with the state of the economy that it is completely ridiculous. Actually, it's ridiculous even in a great economy!

There are silly women and silly men. May we never have the inconvenience of running into them.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
More men may walk out on their kids (for whatever reason), but if a woman does not want to be a mother, she just kills (aborts) her child before it is even born. So I don't think we can say women are more inclined to want to take care of children they bring into the world (or at least begin that process by getting pregnant).
Would you rather have been aborted, or completely neglected after you are born?

I know which one I'd choose.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:12 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,276,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
Because men (if they can get away with it) will cheat and keep the wife around.. best of both worlds...(sorry, going off of experience)
A man cheat and get away with it? Nope, he still gets to hand everything to his exwife, continue to support her, and so on. A cheating wife can still be awarded alimony, child custody, and all other things women enjoy from divorce court depending on the state as well. She can even say she asked him to provide her with emotional support and he just "wasn't there for her". Therefore, her affair can be somewhat justified, etc. Let's not forget how courts can be biased against men too.

Last edited by onihC; 04-26-2011 at 04:23 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
A man cheat and get away with it? Nope, he still gets to hand everything to his exwife, continue to support her, and so on. A cheating wife can still be awarded alimony and all other things women enjoy from divorce court depending on the state. She can even say she asked him to provide her with emotional support and he just "wasn't there for her". Therefore, her affair can be somewhat justified, etc. Let's not forget how courts can be biased against men too.
More Men Collecting Alimony

When a woman has achieved success in the corporate world or her own business, she may be ordered to pay alimony to her former husband, at least temporarily. Men who stay at home to raise their children while their spouse works are likely to be given some kind of financial support until they can find work. If they have been out of the workforce for some time, then their former spouse may be looking at making payments for several years to allow the man to go back to school or take a job training course.
In a situation where a person is unable to work due to illness or disability (including a problem with drugs or alcohol), the judge may order that alimony be paid for a longer period of time. The judge can also order that alimony be paid permanently as well.

Alimony Payments are Tax Deductible

Alimony payments are tax deductible to the person making the payments, and taxable to the person receiving them. If you are earning a substantial income, it may make more sense to make monthly payments and claim the deduction than to make one lump-sum payment or transfer property into your former spouse's name.

Some lawyers have software that is capable of calculating the implications of each course of action to help you understand the total financial picture. An accountant or a financial planner can also help you to get some clarification about what an order to pay alimony would mean in your case.

Men Collecting Alimony | LoveToKnow

In another thread in this forum, this topic has been hashed and rehashed. In several of those threads I cited the exact percentages of all of this one of which was 80% of the time men seek custody of thier children they get it.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
More Men Collecting Alimony
Thursday,
If…but…we all know that women setting their eyes on a man who is below her level is just not THAT common. As already agreed, even by women, women will generally look for men who are ABOVE their level or at the very least the same one. Sure, one might say “not me” sure sure sure, exceptions exist. But they are just that, exceptions. Remember, this is the forum of exceptionalists.

Quote:
In another thread in this forum, this topic has been hashed and rehashed. In several of those threads I cited the exact percentages of all of this one of which was 80% of the time men seek custody of thier children they get it.
I have seen something else where fathers get full custody less than 10% of the time, joint custody maybe 20%, and mothers get custody more than 70% of the time. Remember, mothers are seen as the primary care-givers and so on.

Child Custody Statistics

Custody For Fathers

Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
Ah, but you are not reading it correctly or looking at it correctly, 80% of men who seek custody of the children are awareded custody. Your statisctics are not looking at that, they only show awarded custody, but not to who and whether or not the man even sought custody.

This is my last post on the subject.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Ah, but you are not reading it correctly or looking at it correctly, 80% of men who seek custody of the children are awareded custody. Your statisctics are not looking at that, they only show awarded custody, but not to who and whether or not the man even sought custody
I am reading correctly the part where it says that more than 75% of the cases women are awarded custody regardless of who seeked or not, women get it MOST (if not all) of the time. That's just how it is.

So cheating women still get half of what was brought into the marriage, custody, alimony, investments, the house, etc. regardless of those women not contributing to the marriage (economically, sentimentally, to the hose keeping, etc.). Hey, if someone is going to get awarded for their bad conduct or simply if they get bored with the marriage nothing will hold them to get a divorce and move on.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:51 PM

525 posts, read 1,554,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I filed, in my case. I'm a male.

I think maybe men are a little more willing to make things work?
especially if they're financially dependent on the woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships