Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 01:35 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,236,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy22 View Post
Why is it always Women who File for Divorce?
The short answer is we get tired of men's hemming, hawing, and procrastination.

The long answer is that by the time we are ready to separate, we usually have already tried everything to get through to our husbands and keep the marriage going and have come to the conclusion that it's beyond hope, so we tend to want it over and done with so we can get on with our lives. For many women, it takes a LOT to get them to that point, and many will stick around far longer than they should, so by the time they're done, they are DONE.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:49 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
It's women who have the reputation for the "honey dew" list. Is it because they don't march to THAT drill? That's what it sounds like.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-07-2012 at 01:58 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 02:03 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,236,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It's women who have the reputation for the "honey dew" list. Is it because they don't march to THAT drill? That's what it sounds like.
Irrelevant. Men tend to drag their arses with filing because they tend to want to "find themselves," think about the future of the marriage, or see if they can find "something better" all while keeping their option to come back home open. Women tend not to play that. They leave or ask the guy to leave because they consider the marriage definitely over.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:19 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,285,296 times
Quote:
Irrelevant. Men tend to drag their arses with filing because they tend to want to "find themselves," think about the future of the marriage, or see if they can find "something better" all while keeping their option to come back home open. Women tend not to play that. They leave or ask the guy to leave because they consider the marriage definitely over.
Debatable. Back to the adage: "there's her story, there's his story, and the TRUTH."

Old 04-08-2012, 05:21 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,418,587 times
imo opinion it is because they are generally the ones that try the hardest to save things when they go bad. at a certain point they just get fed up and have to force themselves to move on.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:39 PM

88,224 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:

The long answer is that by the time we are ready to separate, we usually have already tried everything to get through to our husbands and keep the marriage going and have come to the conclusion that it's beyond hope, so we tend to want it over and done with so we can get on with our lives. For many women, it takes a LOT to get them to that point, and many will stick around far longer than they should, so by the time they're done, they are DONE.
^^^And that's the truth.

I once read an article about why men seem to be so much more emotionally distraught than women when the divorce rolls around. They gave as an example a woman who is trying to get through to her husband about the things that need fixing in their marriage. He isn't actually listening to what she's saying, though. He's just thinking "she is nagging me." Eventually the woman gets tired of trying and gives up. The man is thinking "Great! She stopped nagging me! All is well!"

But all is not well, because the woman has decided that the situation is hopeless and knows her marriage will end. She moves toward that goal. Her husband, thinking everything's just dandy because his wife has stopped talking about the marriage, is shocked and appalled when she announces she's moving out, because to him, everything was just fine.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 PM

76 posts, read 75,855 times
The real reason is this: the vast majority of men marry women ONLY because they like/love THEM! On the other hand, lots of women marry men for other reasons, like money, status and who knows what else - in general, things that are replaceable! Therefore, men are generally more emotionally attached to their wives than the other way around, and their loss is a lot greater.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:42 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,034,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccdan View Post
The real reason is this: the vast majority of men marry women ONLY because they like/love THEM! On the other hand, lots of women marry men for other reasons, like money, status and who knows what else - in general, things that are replaceable! Therefore, men are generally more emotionally attached to their wives than the other way around, and their loss is a lot greater.
Ain't that the truth.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,641,560 times
Even though men might want to get divorced, they would rather be miserable than lose their entire net worth.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:24 AM

11,761 posts, read 11,970,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
One must understand that the act of filing for divorce almost always comes after a period of separation or estrangement. Typically, the separation leaves the woman the primary caregiver of any children, so it becomes incumbent on her to establish a legal custody and child support arrangement for their benefit. So it makes sense that she would be the first to act, thereby becoming the plaintiff.
^^^This. Not sure why anyone here is hung up on who files for the divorce. It's paperwork. It doesn't assign fault, it doesn't imply anything other than someone has to do it if a divorce is to occur.

My ex cheated on me and left and, as with everything else when it came to taking responsibility, ditched it all on me. I didn't file for divorce until about 10 months after we'd been separated, because I had to save up since he left me at such a financial disadvantage. He would have been quite content to just live somewhere else and remain legally married, had I not done something about it.

My story is just one example, which really doesn't matter in the grand scheme, because filing for divorce is going through the motions to become divorced, and the filing has no bearing on anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.