Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 02:46 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,644,981 times

Advertisements

We grew up going to a summer cottage. My dad was a phychologist and he did not allow a TV in the summers. We thought it was child abuse He called it the "one-eyed people eater". So we loved to play outside, we played cards and table games as a family and the highlight of the week was to go to the library and get our books for the week.
I must say now I watch too much TV. I have cut way back but now I find I'm spending more time on the computer. I do love to read and I go through spells where I just can't find enough books I'm reading them so fast.
I'm really working on my grandkids to explore the out of doors and play rather than sit in front of the tube! There is a big world out there to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 03:05 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,087,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
We grew up going to a summer cottage. My dad was a phychologist and he did not allow a TV in the summers. We thought it was child abuse He called it the "one-eyed people eater". So we loved to play outside, we played cards and table games as a family and the highlight of the week was to go to the library and get our books for the week.
I must say now I watch too much TV. I have cut way back but now I find I'm spending more time on the computer. I do love to read and I go through spells where I just can't find enough books I'm reading them so fast.
I'm really working on my grandkids to explore the out of doors and play rather than sit in front of the tube! There is a big world out there to explore.
That brought back memories of being a child again. We would spend the entire day outside and come home when it was time for dinner. I think kids had more imagination back then, there were not the toys there are now. I remember when we got our first TV, it was a round screen with a antena and maybe two channels that were snowy, but we enjoyed it.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:24 PM

391 posts, read 871,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Has anyone ever gotten rid of the brain robbing TV. My husband and kids have no control over the tv. Over the summer I had the cable turned off so the kids would go outside more and it worked. I said that I would get the cable back on before winter because their is not much to do. Well big mistake, I had it turned back on 2 weeks ago and it is like the all became zombies again. I rarely watch tv I think it ruins the family relationship with tv on all the time. Nobody talks except to say " be quiet my show is on". I have decided the tv must go. Tomorrow when my husband and kids get home the tv will be GONE. We have a big screen 64 inch monster tv that I HATE. I am going to have a friend help me bring it to my parents house and store it there. I plan to go out and buy a few new board games and some more crafts or model kits for the boys. My house is going to become 1950. The family relationships of today are better and worse then earlier years, I just want some more of the good old fashioned times. We have a family membership to the YMCA but nobody ever wants to go because there is always something on TV . Now they will have no excuse, we all could use the exercise and go to the library, the kids should read more, the really enjoy reading but with only so much free time, they always try to watch tv. I turn off the tv constantly and there is always fighting about turning it back on and who gets to pick the show. I am just so fed up with that darn tv, if I could have a "tv bonfire" I would. So tomorrow is the official "unplug" day. I feel better already, I don't think there will be to many happy campers, but once we become a more "cohesive unit" they will be much happier. This should help strengthen the bond between me and my husband. We NEVER talk, if I am watching tv he is on the computer, then its like a switch, he gets off the computer, I go on and he starts watching tv. Its like "two ships that pass in the night" seriously
This has been going on for so long i think its killing our relationship. I am always planning outings for the family every weekend, if I didn't we would never get out of this house. The kids resist having to go places on the weekend but once they get there they have a great time. I want my family to be closer. I am very close to my kids but I feel my husband is a "void" shell who just exists in our home. He helps with the kids sometimes but gets upset if I interupt his shows. I think doing more family things and getting away from that tv will help.
Has anyone ever done this or have you thought of doing this?

You know I think it is hooray for you. You did not really get rid of it cause it is a moms but I have had friends with no TV and the families are so close. Of course I would be shot and I do veg in front of the TV especially because I can seldom sleep. If my family was the type to spend the time together that would be great. My husband is really into the news and spanish station, My stepson loves his PC and lives for soccer. I think this unit is hopeless. I cannot say I do not like TV though cause in this house sometimes I would be very loney. We have 3. One room I call Mexico and the other the USA. We watch totally different TV. I would like to come together more but since my son is out of the house at 28 with a family of his own I know they limit their TV consumption. I wish I had the Balz to do it and see if it would bring us together but I am a realist and know it will be a huge Fight. So for now I just try to find things to pull them away. I do insist everyone sit together for meals. That was more than was done when I was a kid. The only family meal times were had at my sisters. As a kid everyone watched TV on TV trays. Course I was born in 1959. Now you can always find something stupid on TV. It's gov't mind control. It triggers eating habits and everthing else it advertises. I wish you family hapiness and harmony. These will grow up as special memories for your kids. YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Old 10-12-2008, 04:05 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,644,981 times
I agree Sassyone~ and you didn't have to worry about what was on TV. Now even the cartoons are off-color and I just don't want the grandkids to see some of them. It's hard to keep on top of what is out there. Think of the crap these yound kids are seeing, probably six hours a day!! Really sad. My dad watches some channel where he is that gets the old movies. He loves, "Cowboy Wednesdays"
The old shows taught you a lesson and inspired you. Not anymore...sad.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:34 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,087,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I agree Sassyone~ and you didn't have to worry about what was on TV. Now even the cartoons are off-color and I just don't want the grandkids to see some of them. It's hard to keep on top of what is out there. Think of the crap these yound kids are seeing, probably six hours a day!! Really sad. My dad watches some channel where he is that gets the old movies. He loves, "Cowboy Wednesdays"
The old shows taught you a lesson and inspired you. Not anymore...sad.
I agree, life was totally different then compared to now. It is really sad that life is so different now. Too many things that we did not have to worry about. I would be a wreck if I were raising kids now.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:37 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,002,833 times
Kudos to the OP for taking the bull by the horns and doing something about the problem! I think a lot of families are too much in the "routine" of being zombie-fied with the tv, and getting rid of the darn thing would be a huge wake up call.

If you talk to your husband about it.. you'll just be hit with him disagreeing with you, promising to "change" his habits, and then just being ultimately frustrated all over again.

Good luck with the venture!

Old 10-12-2008, 04:51 PM

809 posts, read 2,878,853 times
I think there should just be restrictions set.

I for one find sitting with my boyfriend watching a show we both like very relaxing and we connect just for the simple fact that we laugh together about the show. And because we lay next to each other, or with my head on his chest and our breathing ends up synchronizing and we just kind of melt into one. It's very relaxing. We don't do this EVERYDAY, but when we both have a bit of free time and there isn't much else to do we will do that. (sometimes it's better not to talk at all.)

Old 10-12-2008, 05:53 PM

1,009 posts, read 705,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well I don't think it's right to get rid of the TV without speaking to your husband about it first. As much as you may hate it, it's not just your TV, it's also his and he should have as much say in what happens to it as you do. Getting rid of something he really enjoys will probably just cause friction between you two. First he'll probably be angry and even once he gets passed that, he might still resent you for it. And whats to stop him from just buying a new one?

I'm sorry but I honestly don't believe that getting rid of the TV is the solution. When it comes to your kids, you should be able to put your foot down and as a parent, limit their TV watching time. You shouldn't need to get rid of the TV or even cancel the cable to do that. As for your husband, you need to talk to him about this. It isn't the TV that is the problem, HE is the problem. He's not involved with you or the children and it's nothing to do with the TV - if it weren't the TV, he would just find something else, like the computer. You can't just keep getting rid of things, you need to sit down and tell him there's a problem in your relationship.

If he's unwilling to see the problem, talk about it or make an effort to solve the problem then you have to ask yourself if you want to continue fighting for a relationship that he's not willing to fight for.

I agree with the above poster, you really have no right to just remove the TV from your home without consulting your husband. He is an adult and is part of the household. As far as your children go, you should monitor their TV viewing if its not acceptable to your liking.

How old are your children? If they are young you should be monitoring their time reading, homework, socializing etc. TV is not only for entertainment there are many educational programs and worldly news that you just can't depend on your newspaper. As far as your relationship you need to communicate as to what you expect from him in your marriage.

Once again think twice before you do that to your husband, IMO its like him taking away something that you enjoy and you would be annoyed if he did so.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:42 PM

37,478 posts, read 45,740,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The FCC is changing how TV is broadcast in the next couple of years and you won't be able to use your rabbit ears. You'll have to have a special converter box.

FYI
You are misinformed. ALL networks broadcast over-the-air. They broadcast analog (the one that is going away) and digital. The converter box simply allows your analog TV to use the digital signal. The rabbit ears do not care what kind of signal it it - digital, or HD. Currently I can recieve BOTH signals on my HD TV. In Feb, the analog signal will be gone. MY HD signal that currently is received (with the rabbit ears) is NOT going away. It will not change at all.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:45 PM

51,956 posts, read 52,393,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You are misinformed. ALL networks broadcast over-the-air. They broadcast analog (the one that is going away) and digital. The converter box simply allows your analog TV to use the digital signal. The rabbit ears do not care what kind of signal it it - digital, or HD. Currently I can recieve BOTH signals on my HD TV. In Feb, the analog signal will be gone. MY HD signal that currently is received (with the rabbit ears) is NOT going away. It will not change at all.
Ok then,

That's pretty much what I meant.

Didn't want to get all technical though

Yes, you are correct the analog signals are going away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships